Proctor Class Long range Interceptor

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Proctor Class Long range Interceptor

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hey, did anyone else read in the Market Cost section of this ships description that it can be sold without the "advanced sensor and stealth systems" Does this mean it had advanced sensor and stealth systems. If so would the stealth system be the same as the Stick In your Eye. Or would it be a military grade stealth system and improve the odds of not being picked up at FTL speeds. It is after all an interceptor.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Proctor Class Long range Interceptor

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

hopefully PB will discuss these concepts in the RT spaceship books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Greyaxe wrote:Hey, did anyone else read in the Market Cost section of this ships description that it can be sold without the "advanced sensor and stealth systems" Does this mean it had advanced sensor and stealth systems.

Definitely.

If so would the stealth system be the same as the Stick In your Eye. Or would it be a military grade stealth system and improve the odds of not being picked up at FTL speeds. It is after all an interceptor.

Or the stealth system of the "Runner Ship". Or something else, like the ones detailed in the
Rifter.

The most certain feature is that while CAF Proctors pick up FTL drive "ripples" from 10 lys, surplus
versions don't.

Same for Scimitars and Hunters, not to mention the effect of spells like invisibility (detailed
for both types) and shadow meld...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

gadrin wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:Hey, did anyone else read in the Market Cost section of this ships description that it can be sold without the "advanced sensor and stealth systems" Does this mean it had advanced sensor and stealth systems. If so would the stealth system be the same as the Stick In your Eye. Or would it be a military grade stealth system and improve the odds of not being picked up at FTL speeds. It is after all an interceptor.

Don't forget FTL comm disturbs the normal space time continuum too, so anything sending a message would be detectable at whatever ranges the sensors can deal with. Since it moves at 10x faster than the fastest ship, it should be identifiable as a comm signal or as the fastest ship in the galaxy :lol:

>

That is a good point FTL communications user gravatonic waves to achieve FTL transmisssions. So raido silence for the interceptor. Also to fulfill its role ans an interceptor shouldn't it go faster than 4 ly per hour?
All it could catch up to is fighters and the odd bulk cargo ship.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

gadrin wrote:Well there are no FTL weapons so really the only thing FTL is good for is getting around, getting in position to use weapons in a STL battle.

>

Thought theoretically a "CG envelope wrapped laser" is possible as an FTL weapon, we also are
on our our own in the question of how FTL drive works.

I mean how long it takes to "charge up" the drive, "align" the ship, are "microjumps" possible
(like going FTL for just a few hundred kilometers, arriving precisely, striking, speeding away again in
FTL)...

Are there "warp scramblers"? How do they tick? Are they a common and "must have" device
for even fighters (like in EVE-online) or do they require capital warships (as in the case of Star
Wars' Interdictor cruisers)?

Etc...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Good Question:

1. How long does it take to accelerate and decelerate to FTL speeds?
2. If acceleration/deceleration is instantaneous or could be made to be instantaneous, FTL could be used to attack ships, FTL in stop Shoot and Run.
3. Can FTL be scrambled? If so which propulsions systems does this apply to?
4. Do Rift Drives produce gravity waves? If not are they considered to be a stealth class of propulsion?
5. Are using rift drives instantaneous transportation from one spot to another?
6. Do you require additional equipment to detect Rift Drives? If so when are they detectable?
7. What sensors exactly are used to detect stealth ships within 5000miles, “Visually” sounds like luck of the draw.
8. What kinds of techno wizard features are available for ships within the UWW?
9. Could chameleon or invisibility be used in conjunction with Stealth system to make a Super Stealth ship?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Hot damn, I wish Palladium would hurry up and publish Fleets of the Three Galaxies. Until then...

One minute per every light-year per hour you want to go or are going. So to go from sublight to 4 lyr/hr would take four minutes.

2. If acceleration/deceleration is instantaneous or could be made to be instantaneous, FTL could be used to attack ships, FTL in stop Shoot and Run.
Can't happen for just that game-breaking reason ;) See above.

3. Can FTL be scrambled? If so which propulsions systems does this apply to?
Gravity wakes can be scrambled under certain conditions. The ship can be no larger than a Frigate, and cannot be travelling faster than 4 lyr/hr.

4. Do Rift Drives produce gravity waves? If not are they considered to be a stealth class of propulsion?
No, they aren't disturbing the gravitational constant of the universe. You have no way of detecting a rift-drive exit point until it opens up in front of you. this si why the Splugorth raiding fleets are so feared.

5. Are using rift drives instantaneous transportation from one spot to another?
No. Because the drive is actually cutting through the "flux dimension", they have a travel time equivilent to 5 lyr/hr.

6. Do you require additional equipment to detect Rift Drives? If so when are they detectable?
Magic spells, abilities, and TW items that can detect the opening and closing of rifts would let you do it, but there is no strictly technoloigcal method for doing it (not that anyone has yet invented, anyway).

7. What sensors exactly are used to detect stealth ships within 5000miles, “Visually” sounds like luck of the draw.
Standard Stealth, such as most often used by Runners, the Wulfen, and select governmental covert intelligence agencies incurs the following penalties on anyone trying to track it: -40% to Read Sensors if the ship is standing still, and -25% to Read Sensors if the ship is moving. A successful roll means that the vessel has been detected.

8. What kinds of techno wizard features are available for ships within the UWW?
Any power that can be added to vehicles under the Techno Wizard OCC could be easily applied.

9. Could chameleon or invisibility be used in conjunction with Stealth system to make a Super Stealth ship?
Yes, in theory, it very well could.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

gadrin wrote:How long have the Star Elves been around ?

For at least 100,000 years. They wrote the oldest survivng document in the Three Galaxies, part of a poem, where they name eight of the Elder Races by name.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

As for bringing a ship out of FTL, Kitsune has a ship which does it. I know it's not canon. So that would fall to your GM if he included this into his game or not. http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Rifts/Rifts-PW-Vehicles/TGE_DeathTrap.htm
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Braden Campbell wrote:Hot damn, I wish Palladium would hurry up and publish Fleets of the Three Galaxies. Until then...
One minute per every light-year per hour you want to go or are going. So to go from sublight to 4 lyr/hr would take four minutes.

Can't happen for just that game-breaking reason ;) See above.

Err... It still means that a microjump with about one light day per hour speed (ie. 24c) takes about 1/60 of a second
to accelerate.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Alright, while we're at it with the Proctor I've got a few questions of my own...

1.) The Proctor is listed as having two laser cannons, but under 'M.D.C. by Location' they are described as being "on sides" while under the weapon description they are listed as being on the left side only.
  • Does this mean there is a dual cannon on the left hand side or is there a single cannon on both sides?
  • If there is a single cannon on both sides, is the 4D6x10 M.D. listed for a twin blast or for a single cannon (which would make the damage from a twin blast 8D6x10)?

The reason I ask is because I've always taken it to be a single dual cannon (double-barrel) on the left side... and I recently worked up a Proctor render for one of my players. There has been a question (on her part, of course ;) ) as to which interpretation is the correct one.

3/4 upper port side view
3/4 lower starboard side view

Nitpickers will also likely point out that the 'M.D.C. by Location' also puts the missile launchers above the wings. This is a conscious decision on my part as the launchers help break up the side profile going aft of the bridge to the lower deck/cargo bay... though I'm looking at some configurations with the launchers up top.

Any definitive definitions would definitely be appreciated. :-D
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Actually I think it is very workable! Very nice! I'm probably going to use your version as official in my game.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”