Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What Wormwood O.C.C. should I Play?

Freelancer. Free and well skilled.
22%
Wormspeaker. Power of Communion baby!
3%
Templar. Well connected bad-boy.
8%
Knight Hospital. Selfless hero of great skill.
17%
Other Wormwood O.C.C.
42%
Outsider (Non-Wormwood) O.C.C.
8%

Total votes: 60

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

What Wormwood O.C.C. should I Be?

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

One of my players is going to GM a Wormwood game soon. I would like some advice as to which O.C.C. to play.
I have set up a poll to help with the advice. The choices I have put up are the ones I am currently interested in playing. Please state your choice and reason(s) for that choice.
Thank you,
GaredBattlespike
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Are you going to stay on Wormwood or leave at any time?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Jmur
Wanderer

Unread post by Jmur »

I would choose the Apok. You will get shunned sure but you are a very powerful person. Your immune to horror factor and that is a good thing. Plus your mask works off of wormwood. So you are pretty powerful outside of wormwood as well.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

if you're goin to play a hero , knigt of the hospital can not be a wrong choice
you also get to work battle saints and orbs and you have something that the other occs rarely get, respect, from the people around wormwood.

and you get a vehicle, which is rare.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Hard to go wrong with an Apok. But to prevent the character from becoming a two-dimentional killing machine, you have to work out a very detailed background as to who he was before he turned traitor, what attrocities he commited as a traitor, and why he decided he was sorry for them. Play up the family angle as well. He is going to be shunned by EVERYONE...even the mother that brought him into this world.

Good stuff. Good, good stuff in the right hands.

Otherwise, see if your GM will let you play this. I'd be interested to see how it fares...

Eastern Templar OCC

There have always been Knights of the Order of the Temple. In the days of the United Realm, they were the knights of nobility who severed the church of Vram Yufovya gladly. But in the aftermath of the Sundering of the Realm, the various Templars began to reflect whatever denomination they were aligned with. By the time of the Battle of Khulam Plains, those in Ezud had a very different outlook from their cousins in Stronghold. Now, a thousand years later, the differences have continued to widen until the Templars of Ezud bear little resemblance to the Knights of the Cathedral.

The Ezud Knights of the Order of the Temple are more commonly called “Eastern Templars”. In terms of physical training and skills learned, they are nearly identical to the Cathedral Knights. There are however, marked differences as would only be expected. Eastern Templars tend to be a little more physically fit owing to the dietary restrictions of Eastern Yuvofya. As well, in accordance to the Theory of Battle, they are trained almost exclusively in Raschomla, the art of the long melee. Eastern Templars carry pole arms rather than swords, preferring the longer reach.

The greater difference is in their attitude towards the common man. While Cathedralist Templars tend to disdain the peasant class, Eastern Templars have a sworn duty to protect and defend those who cannot defend themselves, and to do so without prejudice.

Eastern Templar OCC
Alignments: Any, but the majority are Principled or Unscrupulous.

Attribute Requirements: PS and PE of 14 or higher are recommended but not required. What is required is for the character to be of noble birth and heritage. Commoners are relegated to being Long Bowmen or Symbiotic Warriors.

O.C.C. Bonuses: 1D4x10+40M.D.C. (S.D.C. in other environments), +3 to save vs. horror factor, + 1 to save vs. magic, + 1 on initiative and one additional attack per melee! Meditation helps the knight to focus and heal twice as fast as normal.

Defenders of Eastern Yufovya: As the one and only knightly order attached to defend the churches of Ezud, the Eastern Templars are diehard followers of the faith. Their strict adherence to the dietary code gives them the following bonuses and skill: +D4 Hit Points, +1 to PE, +1 to PB, and +1 to save vs. ingested poisons (one time only bonuses). As well, the Eastern Templars can go for up to two weeks without food, provided they have adequate water. After that, they must roll under their fasting skill to avoid becoming weakened or sick. These characters can also go for three days without water and not show any ill effects from dehydration. Base Skill: 40%+3% per level.

Raschloma, The Art of the Long Melee: The art of fighting with long pole arms has been developed over the past 1000 years to the point where it is as much a philosophy as a martial art. Raschloma teaches the Templars to maintain a “sphere of defense” all around them, out to a distance of seven feet. Even when forced to form a phalanx, Eastern Templars will space themselves out accordingly with an average of fourteen feet between each man. Raschloma is characterized by large, sweeping parries and cuts. It gives the Eastern Templars the following bonuses:
+1 to parry at levels 4, 8, and 12 with all kinds of pole arms and spears. These are in addition to the bonuses from WP staff, spear, or pole arm.
Power strike: this can be a powerful thrust with either end of the pole arm, or a huge sweeping chop with the blade. Either move has the Templar lunging and putting all his weight behind the blow. Inflicts a critical strike (double damage), but is the first and only offensive attack the character may make for that melee round. The Templar must have won the initiative in order to power strike. The character may parry and dodge as normal that round.

O.C.C. Skills:
Speak Ezudesh at 98%
Literacy: Ezudesh at 90%
Language: Demongogian at 90%
Lore: Wormwood (+15%)
Athletics general
Land Navigation (+10%)
Wilderness Survival (+15%)
Horsemanship General (+10%)
Math: Basic (+25%)
WP Pole arm
WP Knife
Hand to Hand: Martial Arts (or Assassin if evil)

OCC Related Skills: Select six other skills, plus two additional skills at level three, and one at levels six, nine and twelve.
Communication: Any (+5%)
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Electrical: None
Espionage: Any (+5%)
Mechanical: None
Medical: First aid only
Military: None
Physical: Any except acrobatics (+5% where applicable)
Pilot: Any except robots, power armor, tanks, or spacecraft (+5%).
Pilot Related: None
Rogue: None
Science: Any (+10%)
Technical: Any (+20%)
W.P.: Any
Wilderness: Any (+5%)

Secondary Skills: The character gets to select four secondary skills from those listed. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not get the advantage of the bonus listed in the parentheses (). All secondary skills start at the base skill level.

Standard Equipment: Traveling clothes, a set of dress clothes or dress body armor, a pair of boots, a pair of gloves, a hat, sleeping bag, blanket, 1D6 small pouches, backpack or saddlebag, 1D4 utility belts, 100 feet of rope (30.5 m; made from angel hair), a grappling hook, 2D4 resin spikes, and 2D4 weeks of food rations.

Weapons: The hadaras is the standard issue pole arm for the Eastern Templars. The weapon is almost identical to a halberd, and can be used to stab, chop, or trip/entangle. It is a two handed weapon, measures seven and a quarter feet long, and inflicts 3D6+3 damage. Crafted by the Resiners and finished by the Alchemy Guild, the weapon is magical in nature; its blade is eternally sharp and will never dull or chip. It superior craftsmanship gives it +1 to strike and parry, in addition to any other bonuses.
Templars may also carry four or five additional ancient-style weapons. The exact type of weapons can vary dramatically from character to character.

Knight Armor: The exact type of armor can vary dramatically. Most knights of the Temple prefer to wear medium to heavy plate armor. The average knight will own two different suits of armor. Common types include:
Light plate or scale mail: 60 M.D.C., but –l0%toprowl.
Medium plate, banded or splint armor: 75 M.D.C., but - 15% to prowl.
Full plate: l00 M.D.C, but has a -20% prowl penalty.
There are hundreds of different styles of armor, ornamentation and accessories. The official colors of Eastern Yufovya are gold and deep purple. The pictogram for Ezud (a small t-shaped cross atop a large circle) represents the shape of the Mayvoc, and will appear on all capes, cloaks, surcoats, and heraldry.

Transportation: The Eastern Templars rarely travel outside of Ezud anymore, but when they do only 20% will ride a horse, Pegasus, unicorn, gryphon or other attractive, “noble” creature from Earth or another dimension. The rest walk.

Money: Not applicable.

Cybernetics and Bionics: Virtually non-existent.

Symbiotes: While Eastern Yufovya does not distain the use of symbiotes, the Ezud Templars have sworn to remain pure in body. Therefore, they will not use symbiotic organisms or slime magic, but can pilot the Battle Saint and Battle Saint Orbs. They can also link with the Spirits of Wormwood (a great blessing), and use crystals and stones.

This is from my upcoming submission to the Rifter. Give it a whirl with my blessing.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

It is intended to be a stay-on-Wormwood game(from what I've been told by my GM), but I know there may come a time when the PC's go off-world. I doubt that if we left, it would be for more than an hour or two to go shopping at Phase World, or something(I think). 8)
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-

anapuna wrote:

or i am a TW.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Apok.
Maybe Symbiotic Warrior.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Thank you all for your replies.
I have talked with my GM, and desided on the Freelancer with exeptional toughness. I had my GM roll the bonuses(so everyone knows it it both legit and welcomed by the GM) and he rolled just under max for the bonus MDC and the PE! :ok: I now have a Freelancer with a PE of 29 and 239 MDC! That's before his light Chain/Resin Armor. :D :eek: :bandit:
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-

anapuna wrote:

or i am a TW.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

GaredBattlespike wrote:Thank you all for your replies.
I have talked with my GM, and desided on the Freelancer with exeptional toughness. I had my GM roll the bonuses(so everyone knows it it both legit and welcomed by the GM) and he rolled just under max for the bonus MDC and the PE! :ok: I now have a Freelancer with a PE of 29 and 239 MDC! That's before his light Chain/Resin Armor. :D :eek: :bandit:

...Hmm sounds like your GM needs a bit of tender-loving-care... :thwak:
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

sigh I am the only one who likes templar...
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

I don't mind Templars, I just went with the advice of others and am playing a good Hero "Taldyr to Daring". :D I love this guy! We went up against a group of Canines and a wave of Worm Zombies (cannon-fodder)! It was great! Our home village was under attack and we had to save it. That fight lasted 37 Melees!!! :eek: :shock: 8) I had 3 MDC left, but I made it with help from the rest of the gang. "Sir Goldheart" our Templar was in the middle of it all, and we had each others' backs all the bloody way! "Remorse" our Apok was a walking nightmare in battle! :eek:
I had never seen NPC's run away like such little girls before! :eek: :shock: :D "Clear-Thought" our WormSpeaker was pretty cool, too. Calling up all that helpful stuff from Wormwood itself was why we lasted so long. He made a Killing Zone out of the "ground" by building a maze-like set of walls to channel our attackers into a narrow "front" so we weren't overwhelmed by sheer numbers:
5 PC's
-1 FreeLancer (Me)
-1 Apok(Remorse)
-1 Templar (Sir Goldenheart)
-1 Hospitalar (Sir Ironsoul)
-1 Wormspeaker (Clear-Thought)
and several NPC's with weapons to defend themselves with (Peasents)
Versus
32 Canines
12 Worm Zombies
The enemy was only able to come at us 3-at-a-time due the defenses Clear Thought made! We will keep you up dated.
Thanks to good tactics, good teamwork and a few lucky rolls, we made it!
:D :shock:
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-

anapuna wrote:

or i am a TW.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I went with the Knight of the Hospital, but my personal favorite isn't an OCC: it 's the Holy Terror RCC.
I love playing this charactrer as a gentle giant type, one who doesn't like fighting, but comes through in the crunch.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Update on the Wormwood game.
Sir GoldenHeart (Templar) got killed by a group of Minions led by an Entrancer. The Entrancer fooled SirGoldenHeart into going alone with "her" for...*ahem*. As soon as the Templar was...vulnerable the other minions grabbed his gear(first) and hacked him up. We heard the screams but didn't get there in time. :(
We did kill the Minions, but, alas there was nothing we could do for SirGoldenHeart. Dave (SirG's Player) says he will be making a Holy Terror next. The GM ok'd the new PC choice. The lesson: Never,ever go off with somebody "hot" without having a fellow PC secretly follow you to intervene if all is not what it seems! :-x :thwak: :frust: :rolleyes: :frust:

Our Apok(Remorse) had recognized the Entrancer as one he worked with when he was Evil. (This knowledge from our GM) He let us know that our defence of our home village (We got to name it, so we picked LightsFaith) had put the Unholy on notice about a new group of resistance fighters, and had targeted us as "examples". Joy. :? :bandit: Not. :frust:
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-

anapuna wrote:

or i am a TW.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

holly terror rcc
they rock...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Apok baby. those guys rule. :-D
Last edited by (SHIFTY) on Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warpig
Wanderer

Unread post by Warpig »

Apok for a local OCC

my favorite OCC for the Dimensions setting is the Knight of Kamnos OCC, found in Rifter #1. They're like the Invincible Guardsmen but for Humanity
dmos

Unread post by dmos »

I chose a Monk of Defense. Apok was just too easy a choice so I chose something different. Granted my Monk is also a True Atlantian but, he's still dope.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I'm glad someone else noticed the Monk with the Art of Defense.
I think a lot of folks looked over this one too fast.

Imagine: an MDC being, with automatic dodge, automatic parry, extra MDC and even a few priestly powers too.
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

I would play a symbiotic warrior, i think they make great characters who can be either heroes or really powerful villains. The way i see it the symbiotic warrior can be the cyborg of wormwood - very cool
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

A belated update: After a MASSIVE battle, only our Apok has survived. :?

I fell while holding the way for the group to enter a Crawling Tower's Power Chamber. I had no idea that those flying fish-things could deal soooooo much damage when attacking in a group!!! :shock: :eek: :-(

The rest of us will re-roll some PC's, and I'm thinking of maybe either an Apok or a Holy Terror! :D :bandit:

I'll let you know what happens when I can...
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-

anapuna wrote:

or i am a TW.
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

howdy :)

yeah keep us informed :) dont pick an Apok in the end ull have a group of 5 Apoks or Holy terrors, i still vote for the Symbiotic Warrior they are really cool characters or how do u feel about playing a freelancer with a cool TW device?

c ya
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Apok is the best or that living armor guy 20 feet 6 tons.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Holy Terror
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

The holy terror is really cool, but I recommend an import (I've always wanted to see them compete).

The Anti-Monster from SA1

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”