Splicer Militia

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Splicer Militia

Unread post by slappy »

I think the Roughnecks are a bit too elite to just be considered the standard grunt. Someone needs to wear standard armor and use standard equipment.

I'm not the type who likes to play weakling characters, but for those of you like the Vagabond from Rifts, I give you the Militiaman. They do get more powerful with experience, but it definitely takes a while. Use the Techno-Jacker Experience table.

Militiaman O.C.C.

“Why’d I join the Militia instead of the Roughnecks? Because I’m smart, that’s why. What’s the point of hoofing it across miles of dangerous territory to blow up a couple of robots? There’s billions of ‘em. Those idiots are risking their lives for nothin’. They’re never gonna make a dent. All they do is risk leadin’ ‘em back down here. That’s why I joined the Militia. If the Machine ever does come knockin’ down our door, I’m gonna need a little more than my shirt for protection. You sign up in the Militia and they give you all kinds of that Bio-Tech crap. No way I could afford all the stuff on my own. Sure it ain’t as good as that fancy Host Armor, but I don’t have to follow a bunch of pointless orders to get one. You sign up as a grunt and they’ll just keep ordering you topside until you’re finally gutted like a fish. You join the Militia and you don’t have to answer to anyone. Your job is to guard the home front. That’s it. You can still volunteer to throw away your life topside, if want to be a hero. They’re more than happy to chuck more meat in the grinder. Me, I’m gonna stay right here and rack up some free Bio-Weapons.” - Terry Wilcox, First Sergeant of the 31st Militia.

Some people want to battle the Machine, but they do not want to mindlessly follow someone else’s orders as a Roughneck. Most of these people had a friend or family member that served as a Splicer and died during a “pointless” mission. Others simply have no desire to fight a seemingly endless string of monstrous robots head on. Of course, these people realize that if the Machine ever discovers their underground haven, they will have no choice but to fight. There is no such thing as a non-combatant in this war. N.E.X.U.S. will kill every man, woman, and child without a moments hesitation. If and when the war comes spilling through their front door, everyone will need to fight for their very lives, whether they have the proper tools or not. Humans within the Resistance are comfortable with organic technology and use it often, but that does not mean the average person has access to Bio-Tech weapons. Unless you are a Splicer or in the Militia, the only way to get decent Bio-Weapons or Living Armor is to buy them, and they are definitely not cheap.

Some people join the Militia in order to build a stockpile of organic weaponry without having to risk their lives, but there are many Militiamen who do like taking the fight to the Machine. The only reason they do not sign on as Roughnecks is because they prefer having the freedom to choose their own missions. During “peacetime,” the Militia answers to no one. Militiamen can refuse any commands and even resign from the Militia without consequence. Of course, not much is asked of them anyway. The only thing they are required to do is report for training one hour a day and one day a week. They consider it a small price to pay for all the armaments they receive. However, if the Machine ever does invade the underground chambers, all Militiamen will immediately be absorbed into the Roughnecks, and they will be expected to follow any and all commands (although they will be more than willing to listen at this point).

Alignment: Any, but typically good or selfish.
Attribute Requirements: None
Attribute Bonuses: +1D4 to P.S., +1D4 to P.E., and +2D4 to Spd.
O.C.C. Bonuses: +1 on initiative, +1 to strike, and +3 to save vs. horror factor.
Base S.D.C.: 30, plus any from Physical skills.
Common Skills: Standard.
O.C.C. Skill Program: Basic Military (+20%), Athletics, Bio-Technology, and one of the following skill programs: Guerilla Warfare, Infantryman, Technical, Outdoorsman, Saboteur, Reconnaissance/Scout, or Support Man.
Elective Skills: Select any one Wilderness Skill and Bio Comms (+20%), and four Electives from the following list at first level. Select another Elective Skill at levels 2, 4, 8, and 12. All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Any (+5%)
Domestic: Any (+10%)
Espionage: Wilderness Survival only.
Medical: None.
Military: Any (+5%)
Physical: Any
Rogue: Any
Science: Advanced Mathematics only.
Technical: Any
Transportation: Any, except War Mount Combat and Host Armor Combat.
Wilderness Survival: Any (+5%)
W.P.s: Any
Secondary Skills: The character gets to select five Secondary Skills at level one and one additional skill at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not receive any special O.C.C. bonuses.
Bio-Tech Equipment: Militiamen can select 20,000 credits worth of Bio-Weapons and Living Armor when they first join. They are only given standard suits of Living Armor with no additional enhancements. These credits can be saved and used later or spent now (the character can also spend his own money on Bio-Tech equipment). Militiamen are rewarded with better weapons, equipment, and Bio-Enhancements the longer they serve. The following chart shows the rewards for continued service:
Level 2: An additional 2000 credits to be used to purchase Bio-Tech equipment.
Level 3: One Melee Bio-Weapon of choice.
Level 4: 2D10 points of Bio-E to be used to enhance his personal suit of Living Armor.
Level 5: One Light Bio-Weapon of choice.
Level 6: One Heavy Bio-Weapon of choice.
Level 7: 2D10 points of Bio-E to be used to enhance his personal suit of Living Armor.
Level 8: An additional 4000 credits to be used to purchase Bio-Tech equipment.
Level 9: One Light Bio-Weapon of choice.
Level 10: One Heavy Bio-Weapon of choice.
Level 11: An additional 4000 credits to be used to purchase Bio-Tech equipment.
Level 12: A standard Wingpack and training on how to fly it (learns the Pilot Wingpack skill).
Level 13: 3D10 points of Bio-E to be used to enhance his Living Armor or Wingpack.
Level 14: Rewarded with his own personal Gorehound.
Level 15: 5D10 points of Bio-E to be used to enhance his Living Armor, Wingpack, or Gorehound.
Standard Equipment: Military fatigues, dress clothing, survival knife, utility belt, Face Wrap, tinted goggles, hatchet for cutting wood, tent, knapsack, backpack, two water skins, two week supply of emergency food rations, and some personal items.
Money: Has 1D6x100 credits in precious metals, relics or trade items, as well as 6D6x10 in available credits. Money can be spent now on additional equipment or saved for later.
The Upside: You possess some of the best training and equipment that a human can receive outside of the regular army without having to risk your life on the battlefield. If you do have a taste for battle, you still have plenty of opportunities to prove your mettle. You decided to join the Militia over the Roughnecks because you prefer to pick your own assignments rather than have some idiot commander send you on suicide missions.
The Downside: Splicers (and even many non-combatants) look at you like a greedy coward. You sit at home collecting valuable Bio-Tech gear while they risk their lives keeping you safe. Even if you do fight in the field, the stigma of being in the Militia hangs over your head the same as the Militiamen that never go topside. Until you establish a reputation on the battlefield as a capable warrior, most Splicers will want nothing to do with you in combat (most Militiamen do not last too long in the field and are usually more trouble than they are worth). Another drawback is that you are poorly equipped compared to normal Splicers. Trading lesser equipment for free reign works well if you never leave the underground haven, but those that like combat will find themselves seriously outgunned against the Machine.
Last edited by slappy on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

this is really good stuff man
top notch and all that
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

You know, I was actually expecting people to find this one of the lamer ideas I put up. I do think it fills a hole in the Resistance's forces.

Not every soldier can be an elite.

Actually, it was probably something cut from Carmen's original manuscript to save space.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

What did you have in mind?

I was originally going to have the Militia be the regular army, and make the Roughnecks the marines (a little better trained and more dedicicated), but I like this idea because it takes into account the slackers and outsiders in any society. There are always people who sponge off of the work of others and there are always people that don't agree with their leaders and want to do things their own way. The Militiaman kind of encompasses both types.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

I view the Dreadguard as the Marines of Splicers. Yeah Dreadguard are presented as what amounts to elite special forces but in all honesty isnt that what Marine combat units really are?
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

You're quite right about the structure feeling more ancient than modern and rightfully so - humans in Splicers fighting with modern techniques will lose badly every time they take the field. Guerilla warfare is an absolute must for humanity to have any chance for survival against the vastly superior forces of the NEXUS. Even using old Roman tactics would doom humanity if you look at the standard Legion tactics, which were used as recently as the American Civil War. I'd guess the "normal" tactic is something Viking or Celtish in nature - take what you can, destroy the rest and disappear before reinforcements show up.

What's going to truly suck for humanity is when the more perverse personalities overcome thier blind hatred of humans enough to take prisoners to use as bait...
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Splicer Militia

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

I like it,but i would change the upgrades to years in service rather than by level.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re:

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

demos606 wrote:I view the Dreadguard as the Marines of Splicers. Yeah Dreadguard are presented as what amounts to elite special forces but in all honesty isnt that what Marine combat units really are?

Roughnecks = Marines
Dreadguards = Seals
Packmasters = Recon
Outriders = Tankers/Heavy Airsupport combo
Archangels = Light Airsupport
"Militiamen" = National Guardmen

I was working on my own version of Nation Guard types whose job to stay on the Homefront.
I like the Idea of the "Militiamen" types.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

These guys are going to all of a sudden start obeying after years of bucking the system? I like the O.C.C. but tone down the non-conformist angle a bit. How exactly did 1st Sgt Wilcox become a non commissioned officer with his unmotivated, whining attitude? There is no peacetime the humans in Splicers live on 24/7 war footing. You do your part or you can become a biotic. This individualist attitude would spread like a cancer. Surely the Warlords are smart enough to realize that if we don't all hang together we will all hang separately.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I see your point but even the main book talks about how people that refuse to fight are part of the underclass.

I think you're overestimating people's rationality. It's like saying people wouldn't commit any crime because it harms society or because they could be punished if caught. People are selfish by nature and society's rules temper that instinct, but it can never truly be squashed.

Even the most oppressive society has dissenters. A warlord can either crush these people and deplete resources or create a way to channel these "outsiders" into something that can be useful if the machine invades their home.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

slappy wrote:I see your point but even the main book talks about how people that refuse to fight are part of the underclass.

I think you're overestimating people's rationality. It's like saying people wouldn't commit any crime because it harms society or because they could be punished if caught. People are selfish by nature and society's rules temper that instinct, but it can never truly be squashed.

Even the most oppressive society has dissenters. A warlord can either crush these people and deplete resources or create a way to channel these "outsiders" into something that can be useful if the machine invades their home.

I think you are underestimating the capability for human beings (and societies) to enforce rigid codes of behavior/conduct especially in small closed societies under the threat of genocide. A warlord need not be oppressive. It isn't exactly propaganda that the machines are coming to kill all humans. The threat of eradication would be the lynch pin of every humans existence since they are born. Every child would be groomed, and indoctrinated into being a zealous participants in the war against the machines.

Where we differ is that you believe it is plausible that dissenters would be utilized and even rewarded as members of the military with high technology weapons. If I was a Warlord those that don't want to toe the party line can clean the poop recyclers, leave for the surface or become a biotic. The bit you wrote by Terry Wilcox is tantamount to treason. In a all or nothing battle for the existence for humanity I don't believe dissenters would be tolerated by many.

If you look at the breadth and scope of human history militia forces haven't been made up of dissenters. But rather the young, the old, and those who by profession or status are more valuable on "the home front". While some may take the above attitude I can't believe they would share it freely. The opening story paints it as the militia O.C.C.s primary motivation, that they are non-conformist dissenters who mock the "active duty" military rather than be eternally grateful that others would risk their life for their sorry ass.

Also how did the militia men get out of their mandatory 5 years service? Why are they such jaded cry babies?

I like the O.C.C. and I think it is important in fleshing out Splicer (Great House) society but I think the premise is flawed. I would much rather see the militia as a place for the "Splicer Youth" and older veterans.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ultimately, I chalk this up to every Great House being different. Some would use this sort of miltiaman while others wouldn't dream of it.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Ultimately, I chalk this up to every Great House being different. Some would use this sort of miltiaman while others wouldn't dream of it.

The O.C.C. is fine. It is the background info I have trouble swallowing as plausible. If the Great House Defeatist wants to have militamen like those above great. But all militiamen don't have to be motivated solely by cowardly self preservation instincts like those above.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Wooly wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:Ultimately, I chalk this up to every Great House being different. Some would use this sort of miltiaman while others wouldn't dream of it.

The O.C.C. is fine. It is the background info I have trouble swallowing as plausible. If the Great House Defeatist wants to have militamen like those above great. But all militiamen don't have to be motivated solely by cowardly self preservation instincts like those above.

I think Slappys background is perfectly viable...for certain Grat Houses, as I said. If you like the O.C.C., but want to change it to suit your game, then go for it. I'd love to see your description since I have a variety of Greathouses in my game and all of them are run differently with different motivations.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Splicers®”