Beta Fighter/Bomber

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmer
Adventurer

Beta Fighter/Bomber

Unread post by Rimmer »

Pretty sure I actually asked this question about three years ago and got an answer of no. Then prompltly ignored it and said yes any way, because I needed it for a plot device. Just wondering how others play it. The question was, "Does the Beta fighter carry a Cylone like the Alpha ?" the official answer was no, but I wanted the two PC's to be able to both go dungeon crawling in Cylones together.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

well, the listing of equipment is for both the alpha and beta, and on the list is the cyclone storage compartment. nowhere does it say its restricted to the alpha.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Good point, will have to check when i get home. For some reason I have never actually read the standard equipment of the mechs ! skimmed through a couple of times and thats about all.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Even if KS forgot to included the Beta's Cyclone listing, there's a ton of space for all kinds of goodies. Two passengers in the cockpit alone. I'm pretty sure that the Beta has a cyclone compartment. If you don't find the listing, I'd just use the Alpha's listing for it's compartment.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

At the very least, you could remove some of the bombs to make way for a cyclone, folded down they are very small.

The Artist Formerly
Champion

Rimmer wrote:At the very least, you could remove some of the bombs to make way for a cyclone, folded down they are very small.

Dr. Lang: "And should the Alpha fighter get shot down I have included a space for the new Cyclone mecha in the fighter. That increases the probability of the very expensive Alpha pilot surviving unfortunate circumstances. Similarly, should the Beta fighter pilot be caught in the same bad luck, we have set aside a place to store the newest Razor Scooter..."

Beta pilots: "DO'H!"
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Another thing I thought I might ask, when the Beta is connected to the Alpha in the Legios combination, the Beta is kinda just along for the ride, the Alpha pilot does all the flying, dodging etc using his attacks per melee and alpha bonuses, while the beta just fires a few missiles here and there, engages the big rockets when asked, and just generally provides moral support, what else can he do ? do you really use the Alpha bonuses or the beta ? Who does what ?

The Artist Formerly
Champion

Rimmer wrote:Another thing I thought I might ask, when the Beta is connected to the Alpha in the Legios combination, the Beta is kinda just along for the ride, the Alpha pilot does all the flying, dodging etc using his attacks per melee and alpha bonuses, while the beta just fires a few missiles here and there, engages the big rockets when asked, and just generally provides moral support, what else can he do ? do you really use the Alpha bonuses or the beta ? Who does what ?

I belive you can fly from either cockpit. So one guy does the flying, and another does the shooting. I think that the intention was the Beta pilot fly, and he's supported by his crew, a gunner and com officer, while the Alpha pilot is basicly a second gunner using the Alpha's weapon systems. However the REF didn't have the man power which is why they had to resort to cloning, Right Z? :p
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Zerebus wrote:Quiet, you.

(tiny edit: ok, I'm going to take a while off from posting, so I can eat and get my Robotech alternate universe thread post done for tonight. When I get back, you had better be well over 18200, Taf)

Sir yes sir!

Besides, I can go on for days and days about the secert cloning techniques of the earth forces... :)
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

I know this may be a tad of topic, but it is related to the Cyclone Storage SNAFU.

Given the larger size of the VF-1V Vindicator over the Alpha, does it get 2 Cyclones?

Alpha fighter (Jet mode)

Height: 15 ft
Width: 22 ft
Length: 34 ft
Cargo: Unless Cyclone is removed none--500 lb limit

Vindicator (Jet mode)

Height: 22 ft
Width: 46 ft
Length: 47 ft
Cargo: Unless Cyclone is removed none--1000 lb limit

And the Vindicator's size allows it to carry two people (albeit cramped), while the Alpha only one...period.

I have no idea why this came to me, but food for thought.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Zerebus wrote:Actually, the Vindicator itself is a SNAFU, if you ask me. Mainly because the Vindicators in the series are in fact Shadow Alphas, and the Shadow Fighters in the series are in fact Shadow Alpha Drones, like the Alpha Drones used by Donald Maxwell in that mountain pass episode of New Generation.

That said.....

One pilot equals one Cyclone. If the Vindicator has a co-pilot, then two Cyclones.

Was there a D modle for the Vind?
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Zerebus wrote:
Pox wrote:I know this may be a tad of topic, but it is related to the Cyclone Storage SNAFU.

Given the larger size of the VF-1V Vindicator over the Alpha, does it get 2 Cyclones?

Alpha fighter (Jet mode)

Vindicator (Jet mode)

And the Vindicator's size allows it to carry two people (albeit cramped), while the Alpha only one...period.

Actually, the Vindicator itself is a SNAFU, if you ask me. Mainly because the Vindicators in the series are in fact Shadow Alphas, and the Shadow Fighters in the series are in fact Shadow Alpha Drones, like the Alpha Drones used by Donald Maxwell in that mountain pass episode of New Generation.

That said.....

One pilot equals one Cyclone. If the Vindicator has a co-pilot, then two Cyclones.

Yeah, I know all about that goof-up. I was just wondering if there was a loophole that could be exploited. Like I said, this notion just came to me.

Also, the additional person isnt a co-pilot if you go by Sentinels, but that whole enough room to sit in the lap of the pilot thing.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Pox wrote:
Zerebus wrote:
Pox wrote:I know this may be a tad of topic, but it is related to the Cyclone Storage SNAFU.

Alpha fighter (Jet mode)

Vindicator (Jet mode)

Actually, the Vindicator itself is a SNAFU, if you ask me. Mainly because the Vindicators in the series are in fact Shadow Alphas, and the Shadow Fighters in the series are in fact Shadow Alpha Drones, like the Alpha Drones used by Donald Maxwell in that mountain pass episode of New Generation.

That said.....

Yeah, I know all about that goof-up. I was just wondering if there was a loophole that could be exploited. Like I said, this notion just came to me.

Also, the additional person isnt a co-pilot if you go by Sentinels, but that whole enough room to sit in the lap of the pilot thing.

Basicaly while I would say that 2 seat trainers would NOT have a cyclone, its posible that if their was a 2 seat combat variant of the alfa (or in the case of the beta more than 2 seats) it would have a Cyclone for each crewman otherwise HECK NO
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Actualy their is (posibly fan art) of a 2 seater version of the alfa in jet mode that was a partial cutaway(and yes it showed both seats), But I dont know where its at right now. Its posible that it was non transformable though.
冠双
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

If so, the nose would extend forward by a huge margin, not to mention it'd lead to the flaw that transformable Alpha Fighter toys frequently suffer from, nose down to beyond the knees :)
Pro Munchy

Unread post by Pro Munchy »

Guess I'll put my two cents in!

If you remember in the Robotech series in almost next to the last one "the Dark Final episode", Scott flies over Marlene and Annie in the Beta and hovers above them and a rope comes out of the lower rear side of the Beta and pulls Marlene and Annie up into a compartment that is pretty large. I'd say at least 5 feet wide by 6 feet long by 4 feet high.
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

I think that was the bomb bay.
-Pax
Pro Munchy

Pax Concord wrote:I think that was the bomb bay.

Well, it's possible it was but why would rope be installed in a bomb bay with a side door ?
Pro Munchy

Major Fury wrote:Probably was a crew access hatch to assist in loading the bomb bay. Don't forget too that the "Beta" can be used to insert Cyclone Riders so it could also be possible that it was an access door for said Cycloners. It might actually be that scene that gave the idea to have the "Beta" transport Cyclone Riders in the RPG.

I believe your right !
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Dozen't the Beta normally have 2 extra seats? I don't have my book handy to check.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

*walks past the discussion with a "Second seat doesn't exist in TV series" banner*
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

No, they sat in the bomb/cargo bay, which also points to the lack of second seat...
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Zerebus wrote:So that thing Mint and Marlene were sitting on was a love seat? :D

God this conjures up the image of the old Sketch comedy series "The State" and the two 70s love machines in all the valore goodness.

Barry Bon Soir: It ain't no couch
Levon: Not a sofa in sight.
Barry & Levon: This here is...a love seat.
Barry: The Seat d'mor.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I say go with the cargo space idea.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Zerebus wrote:Actually, the Vindicator itself is a SNAFU, if you ask me. Mainly because the Vindicators in the series are in fact Shadow Alphas, and the Shadow Fighters in the series are in fact Shadow Alpha Drones, like the Alpha Drones used by Donald Maxwell in that mountain pass episode of New Generation.

That said.....

well... uh... don't laugh at me... I'm still in the process of first viewing the trilogy, and in the middle of Southern Cross, so I don't know anything about Mospeada & co that isn't in the RPG books... but what's that stuff about the Vindicator being a Shadow alpha and the Series Shadow alphas being drones? until I'm done resting my lustful eyes on the whole series, I'm a fraid I find this a little confusing to say the least, since by the info I've got, the vind, though outfitted *like* a shadow alpha, still is a whole different kettle of fish, given its size.

at least one thing I'm sure, is that it's listed as having the same man room as the olf VF series veritechs : one pilot, and only minmei style cuddly people allowed for passengers as it would be most uncomfortable trying to pilot with a Fokker or Lunk style giant on one's lap.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

to go on with the multi seat discussion....
a) the Alpha is a one seater . period!
b) the beta has a 3 seater cockpit
c) this isn't incompatible with Scott having installed a futuristic styled love seat in his beta's bomb bay, since he did not have bombs to stow there anyway and that's where Annie and Marlene went because it was easy to send down a rope ladder from the access hatch while landing and all the stuff needed to give them comfy seats in the cocpit would have been a real hassle
Svartalf
Champion

concerning the initial cyclone question... the boox are full of surprises : both the Alpha and the Vindicator descriptions mention the fact that the only cargo space available is the cyclone storing bay... no mention of this appears in the description of the beta, not in the section concerning equipment common to all veritech fighters.

However, the OCC section, in both Invid invasion and sentinels, mentions that all veritech pilots, whether alpha or beta, *do* have access to a VR 52 cyclone, Sentinels even goes on to precise that one is stored in the beta too...

that's what I'd call a *very* indirect confirmation, and one which isn't directly supported by the anime canon, but it's fairly logical, and long frequentation of Palladium products, as well as some *others* especially in their 1st edition, has made me accustomed to finding much needed information in the most unexpected quarters. what *isn't* precised anywhere is whether the beta cyclone bay has room for 3 cyclones or only for one... personnally, II'd vote 4 3 ... until I've seen the series which maybe will make me know better.
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Just like to point out the Beta bomb-bay has the empty space where non-frisky living Marlene and Annie sat always, the bombs are stored in those handy dandy dispencing racks to the side...

When non-frisky living Marlene and Annie were in there you could even seem the empty after Scott dropped them all.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Episode number, please? If it's something in the full version of Mospeada, then I'd like to hunt for it and see for myself.

Eps. #83 Reflex Point shows Marlene sitting in the cargo bay when Scott does a bomb run to try and nail the Royal Command Battloid in that episode.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”