RT DVDs

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

RT DVDs

Unread post by Rayven »

Are the new, "remastered" versions of the DVDs worth getting? I have seen the first 4 so far (in 2-pack bundles), but really don't want to have to wait for all of them to come out when I can buy the bulk packs (The Macross Saga set, the Masters set, and the New Generation set), especially if they are no different than the aforementioned sets. Not to mention that I just bought the Masters Saga (all four discs of it) for $20 a couple of days ago, and each of the 2-disc remastered sets cost $30.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
Cyclone
Explorer

Re: RT DVDs

Unread post by Cyclone »

Let's see...

Remastered Video:
They're using the remastered masters for the all three original shows, so it's better visually then the version you have. That said it seems to be more compressed than the Japanese originals so it's not as high quality as them.

Remastered 5.1 Sountrack:
Unfortunately if suffers from my pet bain of remastered soundtracks, they spruce it up by adding and altering sound effects. The GU-11 sound has been changed. Most people hate Remastered because of this.

"Uncut" version:
Because they used the remastered original series footage, they've been able to "re-add" some of the "cut" scenes of Robotech. Most of them were minor and mostly for time, and don't add much to the story.

Both the Complete Collection and Remastered don't include any Extras, so they're even in that regard.

IMO I'd skip remastered, the altered sound effects just ruin it.

Cyc
Cyclone
Explorer

Unread post by Cyclone »

Zerebus wrote:Wait, new sound effects? Please tell me that they didn't do what Bandai did to its remastered Gundam series release in the US (ie change the tried and true sound of a beam rifle into the sound of a muffled M-16 single shot).

*pat Zerebus's shoulder and nods, a single tear rolling down his face*

Folks... just say no to altered 5.1 remasters...
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Thanks Cyc...I have no officially decided against the Remasters. Permanently. And Zebra's last post reaffirmed this commitment 100 fold.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

I personally like them. The redone sound effects could be a bit annoying especially if you don't have the bust-azz system capable of the Dolby 5.1. However, I really wish they would have done this orignally. They finally released what I wanted to see, that is all the color and images are cleaned up and the extra tidbits that they cut out are great, albeit very small. Robotech as it should have been, but TV Execs could have nudity and death on screen, plus edited for time in places.

ah well, I like 'em a great deal.

........................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Pro Munchy

Unread post by Pro Munchy »

I would half to also say the remastered version is better too, the picture is more crisp and I like that.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

personally, I think they were just awed by the fact that they could actually add additional SE to the audio S/E track for the first time in many years... they just happened to go overboard.

...........................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”