Converting Education/Skill Packages to Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Quentin Harlech
D-Bee

Converting Education/Skill Packages to Rifts

Unread post by Quentin Harlech »

How does one go about converting characters from systems that use the Education / Skill Packages system, like Heroes Unlimited, to a Rifts game?

I've tried looking in a few places, including the first Conversion Book as well as various online FAQs, but nothing's helped so far. Trying to do it manually doesn't quite feel like its working, especially since RUE has a bunch of updated/new skills compared to the other systems.

Are there any guidelines to help with this?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Converting Education/Skill Packages to Rifts

Unread post by Grazzik »

Having played a few OCCs built with skill packages in the Rifts setting, my rule of thumb is HU OCCs are built using HU rules. There aren't too many ordinary skills that can't be taken where the player can make a selection. A few tweaks like WP rifle > WP energy rifle and you're good to go. If you want a cyber doc, then use the Rifts Cyber Doc OCC. If you want a gestalt mutant, then I wouldn't expect super high tech skills to be a primary concern. One concession I make is that if the OCC can't select all the high tech skills that would be reasonable, I still give them the HU automatic skills of math basic, pilot automobile and, yes, literacy.

However, if you have a PC crossing over in-game from HU to Rifts, the conversion notes in CB1 provide for that. I also have a house rule that PCs can learn a new secondary skill if they spend 3 months with formal study, so if there is anything missing it can be accounted for with time and money.

Return to “Rifts®”