Can a Psi-Tech learn to build Psionic gizmos like a Gizmoteer

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kaleb
D-Bee
Location: Discussing metaphysical realities with Thoth & Marduk

Can a Psi-Tech learn to build Psionic gizmos like a Gizmoteer

Unread post by Kaleb »

I have seen numerous posts regarding Gizmoteers and Techno-Wizards in the forums. Page 31 of Psyscape talks about the Faculty of Psychic Technology and it seems that this small school teaches how to do this.

What do people think about the possibility of Psi-Techs learning how to do this?

They are very robot/tech/vehicle oriented but also possess numerous other psionics.

I am thinking things like, if they know Psychic-Omni-Sight, make a probe that will emulate this power but is connected mentally to the Psi-Operator.

Or, if they have the Psi-Sword power, to be able to user this as a hand held weapon while piloting a robot or power armor.

If someone has already covered this you are welcome to direct me to this other post.
"Of course my hammer broke your sword, you tried to hit me with it."

Kaleb the Blacksmith
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Can a Psi-Tech learn to build Psionic gizmos like a Gizmoteer

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If talking about the RCC in one of the SA books....
simple answer is: In the canon rules...No, Psi-Tech is not of the (psi)Gizmoteer Racial Character Class.

Can the char become a (psi) Gizmoteer character class?
No, it is an Stoneman RCC that has no exceptions for outsiders.
or...
Spoiler:
No, there are no generalized changing class rules in the Rifts game.
or....
No, The published Generalized Changing class rules in PF2, taken as a whole, do not let psychics change their character class as matter of course. iow there is specific rule that is stated in each psychic Charactier class stating/reminding the reader that they can not change their character class and other character classes can not change their class to them.
(Yes there are optional changing class rules that allow Psychic CCs and Racial CCs to change their class, but they are still for the PF2 game. If you have a "Rifts Only!!!" GM.)
or from the VP of a GM...
That character class is so <descriptive adverb> broken I would not allow it in any game I would GM.
or....
That book is so broken it has been all but disavowed and needs to be rewritten.
-----------------------
If you have a liberal GM, it is up to you to discuss it with them if they would allow the P-T to build Psionic TW items.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kaleb
D-Bee
Location: Discussing metaphysical realities with Thoth & Marduk

Unread post by Kaleb »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm or from the VP of a GM...
That character class is so <descriptive adverb> broken I would not allow it in any game I would GM.
or....
That book is so broken it has been all but disavowed and needs to be rewritten.
-----------------------
If you have a liberal GM, it is up to you to discuss it with them if they would allow the P-T to build Psionic TW items.
What do you feel about that character class, not referring to the whole book, is broken?
"Of course my hammer broke your sword, you tried to hit me with it."

Kaleb the Blacksmith
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kaleb wrote: Page 31 of Psyscape talks about the Faculty of Psychic Technology and it seems that this small school teaches how to do this.
Correct. The main issue is that details are lacking on how this is done per say (is it for an existing class, is an undisclosed class, is a modification of an existing class).

I do not think the Psi-Tech class would be the best fit. AFAIK they don't build psionic devices, what they do is soup-up/maximize performance of tech using their powers without using ISP (ability #3 and #4 on pg75 WB12). They don't seem to know how to "enchant" tech.

Arguably the simplest approach would be to "tweak" either the Gizmoteer RCC from SA2 or the Techno-Wizard OCC from the main book.

There is some precedent for "tweaking" the TW class for orientation from World Book 1 Vampire Kingdoms (ORIGINAL) on pg171 found in the Vernulian Entry (NOTE: this aspect seems to have been removed with their update in WB30: DB of NA) but it reads in the Available OCC section "or techno-wizard with a psionic/I.S.P. orientation. P.P.E and the other forms of magic are foreign to them, but in time, the Vernulians can learn magic too". AFAIK that is the only instance this is brought up and details are lacking on how that "psionic orientation" is supposed to work with the class, but it seems to be present (Vernulians use existing OCCs). Some of the Stone Master's gem powers include psychic options (doesn't cover all psychic powers though).

Gizmoteer RCC from SA2 (pg157-9) is a bit broken when you consider the "convert an energy weapon to psionic energy" (recharging it means 1ISP per shot, leaving a broken conversion rate given if this is done to the 3d6x10 laser cannon in SA2 would cost 1ISP, but a 1d4 laser pistol could also cost 1ISP) via Class ability #2 Create techno-wizard Devices (that rely on psychic powers), class ability #1 can be a bit broken (more so at higher levels as at 15th Level you'd be looking at, +7 damage die, +65% to range, +150% to energy payloads, +60% to speed or piloting modifier) even if they are short term (and potentially device ending, so this aspect is balanced if enforced). In terms of mechanical/electrical skill in the OCC package they are lacking for a "building" class dependent on their powers (granted "Related skills provide 4, but lack of standardization).

Regarding just using the Gizmoteer RCC as is with no fixes, There is precedent that during this time (in Rifts Publishing history) at least some RCCs are available to various races such as the Main Book (pre-RUE) Burster and Mind Melter were classified as RCCs (WB12 adds to the list like: Nega-Psychic, Zapper, and Psi-Druid/Tech/Nullifier/Warrior and WB2 allows True Atlanteans to be Mind-Bleeder RCC) and this would also include the Amaiki's Duelist RCC (SA2 just before the Gizmoteer in the book). Now it should be noted that the Gizmoteer in SA2 lacks text indicating this RCC is subject to this precedent.

Return to “Rifts®”