Duck warrior occ?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

Duck warrior occ?

Unread post by abe »

To make most sense out of this occ you must see my duck armor thread (it’s been locked fyi, so you can’t add to that)
You must have pp of 15 and me(to withstand the ridiculous talk about said armor mostly) of 12 or more
You have a extra 10% to swim (surface only) speed when you wear your duck armor & your armor (possibly) gains 3d6 mdc per level as the coalition states keep experimenting on better materials on your armor. Any ideas on how to make such a occ would be greatly appreciated!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Re: Duck warrior occ?

Unread post by Aermas »

Link to previous duck thread?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I just looked for threads by Abe with Duck in the title

What with the posts about tugboats I'd maybe make it a vehicle which a power armor inserts into, sort of like some of the Kittani designs. The housing could resemble a duck-shaped pool float. It would house a number of ducklings whom could independently drop depth charges.

It's a little more goofy than I usually go with, though. Something using Lemurian Biomancy could be a mixed land/sea/air unit, with a better speed on the surface of the water than other Bio-Armors.
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

Make then Juicers special edition for water. Duck armor can be a light power armor suit exclusive to this Juicer OCC. It comes with a Combat Flight System like the Icaris/Condor but using Sea Samas tech for water. It sits high on the shoulder & is buoyant so a soldier wearing it looks like a duck in the water with just his head & the flight system poking up above the water to keep a low profile for special operations. (The night vision/thermal visor looks like a bill too)

The flight system is super fast & the unit shoots off like a racing boat trailing the soldiers body through the water. It can also make short flights & submersions.

A more advanced version of the basic suit is also available. It comes with a forearm drone control computer & three Water Exploration Drones
HWE (High Explosives)
DWE (Defense)
LWE (Laser Weapon)
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

The duck drones are small & are a about the size of a football.

Hueys have a stock of grenades/bombs & can relay a detonation signal over a greater range. Multiple Hueys can even be chained along a great distance passing the detonation signal from the drone operator in needed. It can be equipped to pop smoke, air drop grenades onto targets or use them as pseudo depth charges. Pick an acceptable number of grenades for its payload, I'd say about 8 would be fair.

Louies are high powered laser weapons with basic combat targeting systems. Basically pick a laser weapon you think is appropriate. I'd say the JA-11

Deweys are new defensive tech. They generate a small shield around their immediate area, usually enough to protect either the soldier himself or high value equipment or civilians. Luring enemy fire with a shielded Dewey to draw out combatants is a favored tactic of the mighty Ducks. The Deweys also have the equivalent of a Wild Weasel black box. The shield generates m a modest forcefield, probably around 50MDC but has a very low operational window as the tech is new. I would suggest just 2d6 minutes so that it's not guaranteed. Must be recharged after.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I strongly doubt the Coalition States would bother working to update the materials used in an armor that is configured to look silly(and worse yet, like some sort of D-Bee), given they focus on designs meant to project strength and terror to the enemies of Humanity. They have Chipwell to provide for their cheap stuff they give to the wanna-be citizen-applicants(i.e. cheap sub-human cannon fodder), and Northern Gun for better deniable-assets.

Frankly I think the Proseks would order such a project discontinued as a waste of time and resources, the better intellectual design talent reassigned to other programs with more worth, and the original program initiators buried in ChiTown's waste system(or drafted into/assigned to a throwaway suicide squad in a hot war zone) if they tried to keep pushing it.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

Maybe they dispatched the notorious Psi-Stalker Fudd, but he got blown to smithereens
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Maybe the psi-stalker could be a psyduck user of this armor?
taalismn
Priest

The CS tolerates psi-stalkers due to their usefulness and human origins. Obvious d-bees? Not so much.

Duck armor would wind up being skeet for opposition forces with personal heavy artillery...with the opposition declaring 'no bag limit' on the taking of them.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

taalismn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 pm The CS tolerates psi-stalkers due to their usefulness and human origins. Obvious d-bees? Not so much.

Duck armor would wind up being skeet for opposition forces with personal heavy artillery...with the opposition declaring 'no bag limit' on the taking of them.
Okay but what if it is just armor develop to be used around water, & its mostly reminiscent of CS armor? Take CS armor, give it optics that stick out from the face & a flight pack on its back. When you are chilling in the water you kinda look like a duck but you don't actually look like some anthropomorphic duck. Just like how every CS soldier is a "deadboy". You'd have to be quaking mad to assume that it's an actual fursuit level get up
taalismn
Priest

The d-bee reference is to abe's term 'psyducks'.
In Rifts psi-stalkers are human mutants, and ONLY human mutants...you can't be a ogre psi-stalker or a dwarf psi-stalker for instance, or a Hawrk-duhk psi-stalker. As 'psyduck' doesn't appear canonically anywhere else in Rifts currently, I have to wonder what Abe is referencing, without his specifically clarifying it.

But the whole concept?
That's why I have 50mm punt guns and 80mm pump-action cyborg shot guns.
We're not out to eat'em, we're out to make them extinct.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

I think he was just making a joke of a psystalker in duck armor would be a psy-duck.
taalismn
Priest

All the more reason to load the massdriver cannon with rock salt and heavy-duty pteradon-shot.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

I was thinking of Pokémon actually, but you make a fair point.
taalismn
Priest

Knew it. Obscure outside game reference(and the only think I came up with searching for an explanation online).
Yeah, the CS would SHOOT anything Pokémon.
Even though it's humans taking control of alien animals, it's enough like Summoning and magic monster control that the CS would go full autofire.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I kind of want to make a Hawrk-duhk character who's received more training than that limited to the RCC. With their native imperviousness to magic a Magebane becomes less of a stretch due to overlap. In that case their armor could be most anything SDC, which they then make MDC. If their natural immunity makes learning anything magical impossible then one could keep up the pokemon joke with a number of classes. A Psi-Dampener from Nightbane has abilities which would pair well, for instance.
taalismn
Priest

I'd spin that off as a separate thread; "RCCs that really should have more OCC leeway' or something along those lines. It has great potential in expanding options available to various species, as well as is sure to provoke some spirited discussion.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Maybe in later (9-11) levels the duck armor occ could get some of the experimental duck armor (or duck armor based weapons)?
taalismn
Priest

If I ever find myself forced to become a Duck Warrior OCC, I will immediately consider changing OCCs at the earliest opportunity. If I cannot become something else by choice, I will take action to render myself unfit for the program, such as stepping on a land mine or taking a shot for a superior officer...either I will be then be eligible to become a full conversion cyborg, or I will be dead, which beats being part of the program, which would get me killed anyway in a much less dignified manner.

If I am so desperate for such technological upgrades as might be offered by the Duck Warrior program, I will attempt to tempt the talents responsible for the tech(Aermas and Curbludgeon) away from the program. If I am a Rival Coalition Authority, this will be a fairly easy matter of pointing out the many shortcomings of the Duck Warrior program, its mismanagement, and its very strong likelihood of abysmal failure compared to other more worthy projects(such as the ones I am heading), and having the staff and resources transferred to my own department.
If I am a non-CS Evil Overlord, if I cannot tempt the engineers away, I will consider having them kidnapped, then enscrounged in luxury captivity while my minions seduce or brainwash them into working for me. If kidnapping is not possible, I will blatantly reverse-engineer and copy their technology. I will, however, also leak information crediting them for their contributions to my recent developments, and set aside a royalties account in their names...funds accessible only in person at banks inside my kingdom. Thus, even if they are not forced to run for their lives as suspected traitors but remain steadfastly loyal to the CS, I will nevertheless cast suspicion in the minds of their superior officers as to where their true loyalties run.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

I just love designing things, specifically i really like designing things inside a box. So abe's idea of a a specifically themed amphibious power armor suit/combat system appeals to my sensibilities. I could 100% see juicers in with a nuclear powered mini fanboat jetpack contraptions hiding in marshes & lakes doing recon & guerrilla warfare. Maybe they are fighting bugs, maybe they are just doing sabotage missions along the Mississippi & Ohio Rivers.

But you can ask me input on anything. Im not CS exclusive. I especially love anything loud & chrome. I can be tempted with pepperoni pizza & access to an PF Alchemist
taalismn
Priest

In an abe-managed work environment you will be both worked and starved to death...provided you don't go insane between trying to make sense of the work memos, obscure/irrelevant pop references, and inconsistent reasoning.

If I were a CS rival, if I couldn't get abe arrested for treason to the state because he was protected for political reasons or personal connections(such as discovering that the only reason abe was able to get approval was because the Proseks were using it as a front for some more notorious project/agenda, like diverting funds to blacker-than-black projects), I would make sure he got a paid assignment doing important work like counting hole punch paper dots, with a nice shiny brass nameplate, in an office with a 'DO NOT DISTURB sign prominently posted outside, and a lock on the outside, with meals delivered remotely. Any relevant paperwork will be managed by competent sub-managers loyal to me, or will be electronically signed/forged. This arrangement would distract abe and keep him safely available if the Proseks' ultimate resort is to use abe as a convenient scapegoat to throw under the juggernaut. It will also keep him out of my hair and safely available if -I- need a convenient scapegoat to throw under the juggernaut.

If I must go with animal-themed concepts, I'll go with things like true seabirds, crocodilians, or toothed whales. If I'm so desperate for giggles that I would stuff people in duck-themed combat suits and waste time and money training up a specific cadre of soldiers to use them, I will either look into hiring a traveling circus as a front for black-ops, cultivate a troupe of Ludicrous Mages as hirelings for the Vanguard, or have myself voluntarily psychologically evaluated for endangering loyal CS personnel. I will either then spend time in a nice CS government spa for overworked staff for a nice rest, or I will be shot, but I will have voluntarily removed myself from endangering the State, rather than wait for my bungling and incompetence to bring a heavy weapons team breaking down my office door looking for traitors.

If I'm NOT so selflessly CS-loyal and self-sacrificing, and not covering for the Proseks' agendas, I will make sure that the Duck Warrior program is a bloated, resource-frittering program that is revealed as a personal(abe's) vanity project whose personnel are essentially dead men walking(and I'm not talking about zombies) such that even penal battalion draftees will refuse to have anything to do with it.
Aermas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:47 am But you can ask me input on anything. Im not CS exclusive. I especially love anything loud & chrome. I can be tempted with pepperoni pizza & access to an PF Alchemist
One of my long-suffering projects in development hell has been trying to make a quantified and playable Rifts Alchemist OCC able to discern and exploit magic potentials in various substances....sort of a cross between a Technowizard and a Mystic Hebalist...but less mechanics-minded like the former and more broadly materials/substance-based than the latter.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

It was just a thought.
Zenviscaype
Wanderer

Unread post by Zenviscaype »

How would it be used?
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Aquatic operations requiring camouflage?
taalismn
Priest

"Oh look, there's a giant man-sized duck swimming over there. It's either a mutant, a d-bee monster, or something masquerading as a duck. Let's not take any chances!" BOOM!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aermas
Explorer

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

taalismn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:54 am "Oh look, there's a giant man-sized duck swimming over there. It's either a mutant, a d-bee monster, or something masquerading as a duck. Let's not take any chances!" BOOM!
As apposed to?
"Oh look, there's a soldier in armor with a gun swimming over there. It's either a murderous "adventurer", a d-bee invader, or something masquerading as a soldier. Let's not take any chances!" BOOM!
taalismn
Priest

It's Rifts Earth. That's par for the course. The anomaly gets interrogated at the least, but with the sights zero'ed in and the safeties off.
But giant waterfowl are not canonically established so much as part of the scenery in Rifts that they get a pass.

Now dinosaurs, maybe. They've become common enough that they might get overlooked(hence why the Black Market actually has disguised Dino-robots to move goods), and given a cautious look over, but not immediate firepower attention.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”