Unarmed parrying a weapon?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rmedlin
Newb

Unarmed parrying a weapon?

Unread post by rmedlin »

Haven't played in many years, but can unarmed fighters parry an armed attack? They seem to be able to in all kung fu movies, but I could not locate it in the rules.

Thanks.
rmedlin
Newb

Re: Unarmed parrying a weapon?

Unread post by rmedlin »

Yep. I reread Parry. Seems you can. :roll:
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Unarmed parrying a weapon?

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Some of the other Palladium games, e.g. Rifts and Palladium Fantasy, have a rule that you can try to parry a weapon while unarmed, but you do so without bonuses: "Parrying a weapon barehanded is dangerous and all such attempts are without benefit of the character's parry bonuses." You could introduce that rule to your Ninjas and Superspies games if you like.

Ninjas and Superspies doesn't seem to have this rule. For me it works in this game, realistic or not, as most of the martial arts are focussed on unarmed combat, with no W.P.s included, and often no access to weapon katas. I think that having a character be able to take on armed opponents with their bare hands fits with the "kung-fu movie" feel of the game, and allows the player characters in particular to react to combat situations without needing to carry a sword wherever they go (unless that is your particular thing) or worry about smuggling in weapons to places where they are not allowed.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”