Any thoughts on the Dhampir (Rifter 49)?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Snicker
D-Bee

Any thoughts on the Dhampir (Rifter 49)?

Unread post by Snicker »

I've been reading my lovely new copy of the NIghtbane hardcover, which includes some bonus Rifter content - including the vampire rework in Rifter 49. The Dhampir in particular caught my eye as a player character alternative to the Wampyr, and hoo boy, that RCC is strong. It clearly blows the Wampyr right out of the water, and by my eye, looks more or less balanced (much as we hate that word) with the Nightbane themselves.

I have a poor eye for that sort of thing, though, so I seek the advice of those with greater experience. Has anyone run the Dhampir in play, perhaps in a party alongside Nightbane? If so, what are your thoughts? What are the relative power levels? How do the vampire powers stack up against Nightbane talents? Do Dhampirs have enough to do when the adventure isn't focused on vampires? Were there any surprises I should be prepared for?
knightmare6
D-Bee

Re: Any thoughts on the Dhampir (Rifter 49)?

Unread post by knightmare6 »

The Dhampir's greatest aspect is their Natural Armor Rating and semi-invulnerability, but that leaves magic and psionics as exploits/weaknesses. How effective they are depends on your campaign. A heavy magic/psionic-focused one, and they'll be fodder without the correct set of vampiric powers chosen.

If your campaign is brute force, with mostly brawling, then they could easily dominate thanks to their high A.R. and suffering only half damage from many attacks.
Snicker
D-Bee

Re: Any thoughts on the Dhampir (Rifter 49)?

Unread post by Snicker »

knightmare6 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:34 pm If your campaign is brute force, with mostly brawling, then they could easily dominate thanks to their high A.R. and suffering only half damage from many attacks.
I do expect it to be brawling-heavy, but I would suggest that the Nightbane setting uniquely weakens both of these. According to Dark Designs, supernatural strength and magic weapons (including darkblades) deal half damage even if the attack hits the Natural A.R., and magic weapons wielded with supernatural strength effectively ignores it. Meanwhile, dhampirs take half damage from any attack that would not harm a vampire, but attacks from supernatural creatures do harm vampires.

While every game is different, I think the typical nightbane game tends to focus on fighting supernatural creatures with supernatural strength, which nerf the dhampir's protections considerably. They will be exceptionally well protected against gunfire, but I think that's the only meaningful threat in which they fully apply. Of course, I could be misjudging this. :clown:

Return to “Nightbane®”