RIFTS Lore...where we at?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

RIFTS Lore...where we at?

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Has there been any major lore or story developments since Aftermath?

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: RIFTS Lore...where we at?

Unread post by Grazzik »

Well... since Aftermath first came out in 2002... you have every book (and there are many) that came out in the last 20 years, including the lore in RUE that was retconned. Like the fact that Psi Stalkers can now turn MDC (as of RUE) and the CS is seemingly okay with that, but still shoots on sight anyone who conjures up a loaf of bread and jug of milk?

Big developments would be the Minion War and all the stuff in the NGR, China, Sovietski, Northern Gun, Arzno, etc.

The Splugorth is still there. Naruni Enterprise came back. CS still hatemongering. Xiticix still kicking around.

So what do you define as major lore? What are you looking for specifically?
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I don't know about Kryzbyn but I would like an ending to the minion war or at least a book about the next five years of it.

I'm talking about PA calendar 110 to 120.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

20 years of books could be a lot of books, or a few, depending on release schedule...
I backed the Titan book, so that's the most recent one I have, but it only really covers Titan Robotics, ARCHIE and a few other more local areas (Ishpeming, Manistique, etc). I avoided the megaversal books, so I'm sure I'm missing some stuff there, too.
I guess I was looking for a kind of snapshot of where RIFTS earth is at atm, but it seems that large events really haven't shifted the status quo that much?
I realize that I think the intention is that any change is up to the players, but we got an update at 109 PA, story wise. Is that still the current year?
Sorry if the thread seems too open ended of a question, I'm a sucker for lore.

"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Kryzbyn wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:19 pm 20 years of books could be a lot of books, or a few, depending on release schedule...
I backed the Titan book, so that's the most recent one I have, but it only really covers Titan Robotics, ARCHIE and a few other more local areas (Ishpeming, Manistique, etc). I avoided the megaversal books, so I'm sure I'm missing some stuff there, too.
I guess I was looking for a kind of snapshot of where RIFTS earth is at atm, but it seems that large events really haven't shifted the status quo that much?
I realize that I think the intention is that any change is up to the players, but we got an update at 109 PA, story wise. Is that still the current year?
Sorry if the thread seems too open ended of a question, I'm a sucker for lore.
I hear you. I'm a big lore junkie myself. Teasing out what could be the next big game-changer detail out of obscure references. I find more stuff pointing back to the Golden Age (lots of tidbits in WB36 Sovietski for that) than advancing the timeline forward. Though these backward looking details are helpful when running a Chaos Earth game.

Well, since 2002, there have been 20+ books specific for Rifts, so lots has gone on in the setting. Rifts Earth is a big place... the size of a planet or so people say. I don't have Titan, but Manhunters refers to "circa 109 and 110 PA" (pg 181). So, in the whole Rifts canon, things have only covered 10 years. In the grand scheme of things 10 years is practically nothing.
darthauthor wrote:I don't know about Kryzbyn but I would like an ending to the minion war or at least a book about the next five years of it.

I'm talking about PA calendar 110 to 120.
Since RMB started the timeline at "circa 100 PA" (pg 137), it may be another 30 years before we get to 120 PA... :roll:
My guess is that it would be easier to just make a jump to 300 PA and start afresh with whole new doodads and factions, while keeping some of the fan favs. Handwavium could explain why the Splugorth are gone, the CS are liberal hippies and Gargoyles are now technophiles.

The Minion War is only a background element in my games and it was written to be open-ended for GMs to resolve it themselves, so I'm not so keen on waiting for that particular book when there are so many other more deserving ones.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

I may have to pick up Manhunters. I need to see what the great Coalition States are up to!
EDIT: Reminds me to ask, are all titles up on DriveThruRPG?

Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Kryzbyn wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:32 pm EDIT: Reminds me to ask, are all titles up on DriveThruRPG?
Just gave it a glance and it looks like it.

Return to “Rifts®”