Xiticix and psionics

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Xiticix and psionics

Unread post by darthauthor »

What would happen if a psychic used Mind bond on a Xiticix?

My first thought are that the experience would be dependent on the age of the Xiticix.

Like if someone mind bonded with a baby-dragon vs an ancient dragon.
An ancient Dragons life experiences would be so great I'd imagine the psychic would go into a coma. After the memories faded they would come out of it with no memory of it except little pieces here and there the best and worst experiences.

However, a Baby Dragon might only have a couple of months of memories. The psychic would probably feel like superman.
Like someone used to playing an 8 bit black and white 2 dimensional video game, no sound, to playing color 4k virtual reality with music with high speed internet with real time players.

From what I have read, the Xiticix are not supposed to be comprensibile. Also, not able to communicate with each the player characters. They are the sort of equal of the Aliens from the Alien movie franchise.
Even IF there was a way to speak with the species and if they told the truth they would probably see humans as food or what would be "insects" (or at least dangerous animals) to the Xiticix.

#2 Could a Mind Melter use Psionic Possess Another to sort of pilot a Xiticix Body into a hive or at least take out their squad of fellow bugs?

How would their fellow Xiticix react to be attacked by one of their own?
Dismissed as friendly fire?
Attack Back?
Flee?
Utter confusion at the idea of one of their own attacking them?
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Re: Xiticix and psionics

Unread post by desrocfc »

Mind Bond is already kind of covered in the power's description. The interpretation of what the psionic would learn from the past 3D4 hours is subjective. IMHO, given the nature of the Xiticix, I would provide only flashes of images and emotions of what the particular bug would have had during that time; I'd describe them in terms of emotions and colours, something pretty much incomprehensible. Then there is the last paragraph of the power, that deals with Mind Bonding to alien creatures. Not a table to roll on lightly. Recall it does NOT state "roll Save vs Insanity, if failed then roll on the following table." It goes straight to a roll for results. Lastly, you have to physically touch the thing.....

As for Mentally Possess Others, you simply slip into place of whatever consciousness is there. If you were to allow it, you have the distance issue of controlling a drone back to the hive/wherever. I also incur penalties for possessing things clearly not human, as they mentally are not prepared to handle six limbs and wings, flying, coordination, etc. Again, there is the physically touching the thing again....

I've never had a player try something like this before, and I typically don't default to "no" as an answer to these questions. I just question intent and then narratively go through the results, good or ill. In this case, I could see the Mind Melter likely not enjoying the experience. He'd get props for the plan, but likely learn a valuable lesson the hard way.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:What would happen if a psychic used Mind bond on a Xiticix?
A Human psychic Mind Bonded to an alien Xiticix would qualify as subject to the Alien penalty mentioned in the power (insanity roll, no saving throw). Now the power works both ways, but it is questionable if the human psychic (or vice versa) would be able to get much out of the Xiticix since their IQ stat is specifically stated to be a mix of instinct as much as intellect (and has been this way since RMB) and it might also come down to what caste of Xiticix and/or depend on specifically what one is looking for.

However, given the various roles Chemical Scents play in their biology/society information they remember is going to be colored in this way. Their vision as compared to a human is impaired, which will impact any visual memories (text indicates they likely could not tell the difference between WB20 and WB23 for example if you put them in front of them), they also see in another part of the EM spectrum (which again could make identifying things difficult by reviewing their memory).
darthauthor wrote:#2 Could a Mind Melter use Psionic Possess Another to sort of pilot a Xiticix Body into a hive or at least take out their squad of fellow bugs?
Yes.

How the Xiticix react is likely going to come down to the castes involved, see Colony Identification Scent (WB23 pg40). Basically, if a bug attacks another bug, they can be seen as an intruder (as seen when discussing "scent disguise" for non-Xiticix).
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Thanks desrocfc.

Thanks ShadowLogan

As desrocfc wrote, I didn't want to default answer "No," to a player.
I wanted to be objective with how the power worked.
IF it did work what would be the possibilities:
Location and number of victims to rescue
Plant a bomb.
Knowledge of numbers and locations of Xiticix.
Attempt to turn the hive against itself.
Discover the secret food source of the Xiticix.
Trick Xiticix into a fight with the CS or Demons or whatever bad guys are around.

Also don't know what experience point reward I should provide.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”