Utu Ressurection

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Utu Ressurection

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, SOMEONE had to the be the first to post a new thread in this new forum. Why not me? And why not something esoteric like the following question?

Would a priest of Utu ever ressurect someone? Are they even able to perform that miracle? Under what circumstances would Utu relenquish the soul back into the body?

-Vek
"First!"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Utu Ressurection

Unread post by kiralon »

He doesn't like it, but doesn'tstop it for others so I'd guess he would allow it. I'd go with they would if they died from non-natural causes, like being stabbed to death yes, but dying of old age or maybe even from a disease and maybe not even accident.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Does he not like it? The story in D&G didn't seem to be that he didn't like it, just that he wasn't going to let it happen until they killed the high priest who ordered the murder of Utu's worshiper.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

you are correct, he does hold souls for easy resurrection and there is nothing about the reasons for it.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

kiralon wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:06 pm you are correct, he does hold souls for easy resurrection and there is nothing about the reasons for it.
Not exactly.
Utu is quoted in D&G saying " It is my privilege to let those souls in my keeping return to their bodies. Indeed, I have been known to delay a soul for just that purpose"

This says to me that Utu is less like the Grim Reaper and more like Charun, the boatman of the River Styx and that he really doesn't need a reason to hold or delay a soul beyond whether or not he feels like it. It's his "privilege" So he doesn't collect the souls so much as he just sends them where they're supposed to be whenever he feels it's time for them to go. Thus, once in a while a little something like this could happen...

*soul arrives at Utu's presence*
Utu: *checks his clipboard* "Hmmmm... Says here you're on your way to join [enter PCs deity of choice]"
PC: "Yes, Lord Utu. I am prepared to go."
Utu: *nods and waves to a chair* "Yeah, yeah whatever kid. Have a seat over there for a sec. I need to check and see if anybody wants to bring you back to the mortal realm."
PC: *looks confused* "B-b-but... I'm supposed to take my place among my ancest..."
Utu: *waves dismissively as he looks off into the distance* "Shhh shh shh! I'm trying to hear this priest's resurrection request. Now pipe down..."

Of course, by the same token, Utu could simply usher the soul on to it's new plane of existence without a moments delay. It all really depends on his whim. Or, more importantly, that the HM says his whim is. But you get the idea.
Good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I play him that things that interrupt the natural order of things is frowned upon, with undeath being the most disliked. So resurrection, OK if necessary. Becoming a mummy, big no no, and rather than the boatman, something like the dmv with only 1 person at the desk (utu) and big lines going out into eternity, with the worshipers of gods on the fast track and the others not so much.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”