Skills! Never enough skills!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirLitimus
D-Bee

Skills! Never enough skills!

Unread post by SirLitimus »

I like to play characters in game systems that allows as much versatility and self-sufficiency as possible. Multi-classing in AD&D Pathfinder, etc. Rifts is a bit different because the Cataclysm blasted everything back to the Dark Ages. Having a PC who can carry a gauss rifle is good, but if you can't find your own way home, operate a computer, fix a shoe, or even cook your own food, what's the point eh?

In Rifts, what O.C.C.s offer the most skills at the start? Rogue Scientist, Operator, and Magus are good ones. Sad that the very best of races/species such as us elves :), can't be given skills programs as found in Ninjas & Superspies. Much as I want to write an article in Rifter that allows skills programs in unusual circumstances, I would end up making it OP. A party needs the nerdy bookworm as much as the cyborg tank and the mind melter that fries your brain.
"Science officer, identify this strange alien race we are seeing for the first time. What? They are Humans?!? ALL GUNNERS, OPEN FIRE!!!"
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Skills! Never enough skills!

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

In Rifts you're lookin' at the Lemurian Experimenter out of Rifter 58 (I think), which is a Rogue Scientist variant which takes advantage of free prerequisite skills a time or two. The Whack Job Scientist out of China 2 also gets a ton of skills. Outside of Rifts the Natural Genius and Mental Giant Psychic Gestalt (name might be off) from Powers Unlimited 2 are good choices, and some N&SS martial arts are good sources of powers to trade for skill programs on a Dreamer Gizmoteer.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I would have to say the Cyber Knight O.C.C. Given They are very combat oriented but the amount of skills they get makes for some fun customization.
MyDumpStatIsMA
Explorer

Unread post by MyDumpStatIsMA »

I would opt for playing a neural intelligence robot if you want to be the absolute best at both number of skills and skill proficiency at level 1.

Barring that, if you want to play the weak, inferior fleshy things known as humanoids, I would go for the Psynetic Crazy OCC from Mindwerks.

The Psynetic Crazy has 23 total OCC+related+secondaries at level 1. Keep this in mind.

It can get 2 physical MoM implants that each grant 5 skills (any skills, no category limit) at 88% proficiency. So, 10 skills at 88%, at level 1.

Downside is that you either take crippling penalties to all your other skills, along with other penalties; or, optionally, just flat out sacrifice 8 regular skills per MoM implant, with no other penalties.

Thus you could retain 7 skills (your choice of which) from your starting OCC skills, and add the 10 at 88% to those.

Alternatively, I think you can get those same 2 skill MoMs without becoming a Psynetic Crazy. But I'm not sure how it'd be explained, lore-wise. These implants are only available from Mindwerks, and they don't easily lose track of their tech. The only way you're free of them, is as an experiment they allowed to leave for whatever perverse reasons.

Post Script:

I just checked and it's theoretically possible to make, for example, an elf Wilderness Scout, and have it implanted with the two skill MoMs I mentioned. Then released from Mindwerks and free to go on living a 'normal' life without any extra insanity or penalties.

A Rogue Scientist could also get away with sacrificing all/most of its OCC related and secondary skills, in exchange for the 10 skills at 88%.

The question really comes down to whether you want a smaller number of highly-proficient skills, or a large number of mid-low proficiency.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

In Rifts I always say the only skills that players need are whatever they need for combat and Lore skills. Everything else they can just buy the services in a town or from a traveling Operator.

In they alternative they can buy a drone robot, Triax or NG, and have it upgraded with additional skills. Triax 2 has some excellent ideas for that.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

SirLitimus wrote: Sad that the very best of races/species such as us elves :), can't be given skills programs as found in Ninjas & Superspies.

N&S lists a handful of martial arts in the back that might be appropriate for the Rifts setting.
I don't remember any racial restrictions on them.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”