TK Duration

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

TK Duration

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I had never noticed this before but I had my presumptions about TK challenged and I figured I'd ask the illuminati.

TK has a duration of minutes/level. That seems strange because you'd think that the power would drain EXP for everything you do. Pick up a bottle and move it, that's 2 ISP, grab a dagger, that's two ISP, etc. But it has a duration.

So, there are two cases I can see of how this works:
1. The MM uses TK on an object(s), expends the ISP and then can move said object(s) around for the duration of the power with no additional expenditure of ISP.

2. The MM activates TK to a specific strength, and can move ANY object(s) of that weight or under.

Which is it? Obviously, I will have follow up questions.
-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: TK Duration

Unread post by kiralon »

2. MM basically has a hand of that strength, you can't pick a lock, play a musical instrument etc but can turn a door handle and pick one thing up, and if you change to something else you lose control of the first thing. This effect lasts for the duration of TK and each thing you do costs an action and if you do something else that takes an action you lose control as well.

edit, oops meant 2
Last edited by kiralon on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I tend towards number 1, but I think it's usually played as #2.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

#2 is what the words of the power description works out to be. Because it has a duration the use of the power is not tied to any particular object.

I had a master psi char that had the super TK also has a 'duration' and 'weight limit' and used it to move books out of a pit. Setting them around the edge of the pit & using the freed up weight limit to pick up another book. Each book was less than the weight I activated the power for.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

It's 2 - I think the description makes it absolutely clear you can manipulate several different objects within the duration of the activation, just not at the same time: Quote: "Several objects can be telekinetically thrown around within the same melee round, but not simultaneously. The psychic can only concentrate on one item at a time. For Example: A psychic with four hand to hand attacks per melee can perform four attacks with telekinesis. First, he makes a flower vase fly from the table, aiming it at his opponent's head. Second, he makes the lantern hurl at the guard by the door. Third, the table is suddenly flipped up on end and, fourth, the door flung open. Four melee attacks or actions using telekinesis."
That reads pretty definitely to me.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Soldier of Od wrote:It's 2 - I think the description makes it absolutely clear you can manipulate several different objects within the duration of the activation, just not at the same time: Quote: "Several objects can be telekinetically thrown around within the same melee round, but not simultaneously. The psychic can only concentrate on one item at a time. For Example: A psychic with four hand to hand attacks per melee can perform four attacks with telekinesis. First, he makes a flower vase fly from the table, aiming it at his opponent's head. Second, he makes the lantern hurl at the guard by the door. Third, the table is suddenly flipped up on end and, fourth, the door flung open. Four melee attacks or actions using telekinesis."
That reads pretty definitely to me.

That doesn't say that those four attacks are all on a single activation, though. Just that it can happen several times in a round. As it stands, TK rates itself based on the weight of the object, and a TK parry is given a specific cost per parry.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Soldier of Od wrote:It's 2 - I think the description makes it absolutely clear ...[snip]

Greetings and Salutations. I double checked by Third and Sixth Printing PF2 books, and as Library Ogre points out above, the quote doesn't explicitly state that it's all per a single activation. Though, by context, I'd agree it's the likely conclusion. However, I've heard many interpretations of the text over the years.

Library Ogre wrote:As it stands, TK rates itself based on the weight of the object, and a TK parry is given a specific cost per parry.

I double checked my Third and Sixth Printing PF2 books, and the section does NOT state "per" parry either. It presents the cost/weight to parry. One interpretation is that it's for each parry, but if you interpret the cost per option 2 (original post) then it's 8 I.S.P. to activate, and you can parry as many times as you want for the duration.

Veknironth wrote:TK has a duration of minutes/level. That seems strange because you'd think that the power would drain EXP for everything you do.

I've seen a third interpretation in my time. While my personal reading of the material is your second option as the intent, I don't believe it's ever explicitly stated. The reason I believe the "intent" is option 2 is that, as already noted, it has a duration and then in the example shows it used on multiple objects in a single melee round. These are multiple actions, while providing us with a timed duration for the power (but never really focusing on using it for a duration). Furthermore, I don't believe there would be as much attention in the description to the power both requiring concentration AND each action being the equivalent of a single attack. I find it unlikely (but not impossible) that the intent was to predominantly ignore the duration while focusing on multiple castings/uses of the power (without ever stating as much) in the description, AND not stating this is a fairly irrelevant description because it poorly represents how the power needs to be used as there's an added, unwritten limitation.

3. The MM activates TK to a specific strength, and can move objects until the total weight limit is reach. Example: You spend enough I.S.P. for 8 lbs. Your first action you lift a 2 lb. box. Your second action you throw a 1 lb. dagger. That's 3 lbs. total, with you still being able to move another 5 lbs. during the duration.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with that interpretation either, and I believe (I'm going from memory after all) that it mostly arose as a result of the TK Super description (PF2): "The character can use telekinesis to manipulate as many as one object per level of weight capacity." With the RUE description reading: "as many as one object per level of his experience, as long as the combined weight does not exceed his total weight capacity." And, of course, I've had some of these discussions before RUE was ever even released. For me though, the TK Super description would indicate that you can do something like a Level 10 character could lift 10 Claymores for only 10 I.S.P. (allowing 100 lbs. of weight, with 10 Claymores only weighing 65 lbs.) and fling them all at you in a single action. For me, this would tie back to the TK (Physical) description: "Several objects can be telekinetically thrown around within the same melee round, but not simultaneously." Note: This feels like a really pointless statement if we use interpretation option 1, as it just tells us if we use the power more than once we can use the power more than once.

Anyways, that's my take on the situation. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”