Do Soulcraft weapons bypass armor?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Do Soulcraft weapons bypass armor?

Unread post by narcissus »

Roll damage as usual, except a Dark Weapon does damage simultaneously direct to Hit Points or M.D.C. (damage automatically adjusts to the nature of the target)

So based on damage direct to Hit Points, do they bypass armor or do they do MDC to the armor until its gone?

There's also this bit:

Soulcraft weapons also inflict damage to energy barriers, whether they are created via technology, magic or psionics, such as force fields, Telekinetic shields, and magic walls.

I'm not sure if it's trying to imply that only energy barriers get in its way, as there's no mention of armor anywhere in the description. And if they are stopped by armor, then who cares that they do damage to hit points. A vibro-knife also does damage to hit points if the SDC creature isn't wearing armor ;)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Do Soulcraft weapons bypass armor?

Unread post by The Beast »

All attacks do damage to the target's SDC first, and then, once that's reduced to zero, to hit points. For those attacks that say "does damage direct to hit points" then you simply ignore the target's SDC, however you do not ignore any armor (or other forms of protection) they may be wearing.

I'm not sure why the author felt the need to specify that Soulcraft weapons also damage energy shields. I would have figured that was a given unless it was specified by the type of shield being used (ie: a magic barrier spell that states that it reduces or ignores damage from a specific type of attack [energy, fire, magic, etc.]).

Return to “Rifts®”