Is there an OCC good for a geologist/miner

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cbrekkas
D-Bee

Is there an OCC good for a geologist/miner

Unread post by cbrekkas »

Hello

I'm making a geologist/miner and i'm wondering if there was a occ that fits in one of the books or rifters. Or would the rogue scholar/scientist be the best option?

Thanks
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Is there an OCC good for a geologist/miner

Unread post by guardiandashi »

there was the slave borg miner but I am not sure how detailed it is.

I thought there was a prospector occ in new west
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

There is a Mining Full Conversion Cyborg OCC in Rifts WB14 New West that is geared toward the labor aspect of mining. Said class sectioned title is "Mining 'Borg/Prospector O.C.C."

You also have the Warlock OCC (Earth focus) with the right skills and Elemental spell selection could do a geology easily enough (+10% to science and technical skills). Stone Master OCC (WB2) might also work.

Depending on just what you mean by "geologist/miner", I would also take a look at some races as they might have abilities to complement the Warlock/Stone Master. Dwarves for example are the standard for subterrain races in terms of underground skills (like navigation, architecture, etc).

AFAIK there has never been an official Geology Skill in Rifts/Palladium (I know the licensed-out Manhunter Book actually has a Geology Skill) for general use (there might be a special skill for a given class/race, but off hand I can't think of any). Which means you'll likely have to combine a few existing skills from Science (Ocean Geographic Surveying, found in SB4/WB7 under new skills) and/or Technical (Mining, Gemology) or Wilderness Survival (Land Navigation, Dowsing), so you might have to look at classes that grant (high) bonuses those skill categories (+10% at least).
cbrekkas
D-Bee

Unread post by cbrekkas »

ShadowLogan wrote:There is a Mining Full Conversion Cyborg OCC in Rifts WB14 New West that is geared toward the labor aspect of mining. Said class sectioned title is "Mining 'Borg/Prospector O.C.C."

You also have the Warlock OCC (Earth focus) with the right skills and Elemental spell selection could do a geology easily enough (+10% to science and technical skills). Stone Master OCC (WB2) might also work.

Depending on just what you mean by "geologist/miner", I would also take a look at some races as they might have abilities to complement the Warlock/Stone Master. Dwarves for example are the standard for subterrain races in terms of underground skills (like navigation, architecture, etc).

AFAIK there has never been an official Geology Skill in Rifts/Palladium (I know the licensed-out Manhunter Book actually has a Geology Skill) for general use (there might be a special skill for a given class/race, but off hand I can't think of any). Which means you'll likely have to combine a few existing skills from Science (Ocean Geographic Surveying, found in SB4/WB7 under new skills) and/or Technical (Mining, Gemology) or Wilderness Survival (Land Navigation, Dowsing), so you might have to look at classes that grant (high) bonuses those skill categories (+10% at least).

I was assuming to have to combine a few skills. I'll checkout those 3 occs. thanks
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

New West has the mining borg/prospector occ. You don't need to be a borg to be the class itself, but given the dangers of mining most are.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Vagabond Scout for your low-end fortune seeker, Wilderness Scout for your far-travellin' mountain man(or woman), Rogue Scientist for your 'we do this scientifically' approach.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

All Geologists on Rifts Earth were turned into Earth Children......

In one of the SDC books with real world occupations I am fairly certain their is "geologist" program, but I can't remember which. I'm guessing Dead Reign?

The forementioned Mining Borg is a good basis for skills. A few I would want to add to the mix depending on exactly what you want the character to do.....Advanced Math, Biology, Botany, Gemology, Chemistry, Analytical Chem, Literacy, Spelunking, especially if you are going the Rogue Scientist route.

Somewhere Archie 3 has a sort of prospector robot that might be worth taking a look at. I "think" it is in Rifts SB 1 revised, but I could be wrong.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I think the stone master OCC, in Atlantis and secretes of Atlanteons would make a good geologist/miner.Mage with strong connection to stone and gems. Able to make tunnels without the use of tools, mold stone, move stone and immune to earth/mineral toxins. Has knowledge gemology and lore of choice.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

to be the odd man out, the vagabond has access to all the skills you'd need to be a geologist. it might not have special bonuses, but it's geology not neurosurgery. the rocks are hardly going to spoil if you take the time needed to make sure of your fndings.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I took a quick re-look at the UE Wilderness Scout and the variants in Dino Swamp, and any of those would work with a little tweaking. The Wilderness Scout could use a few more science options, but I do like cartography for a geologist.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Mining 'Borgs and Vagabonds.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

cbrekkas wrote:Hello

I'm making a geologist/miner and i'm wondering if there was a occ that fits in one of the books or rifters. Or would the rogue scholar/scientist be the best option?

Thanks

Rifter 28, page 51. Geo-Scout OCC; Official Source Material cut from China 2 for space considerations.
Insert 400 character limit here.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Todd Yoho wrote:

Thanks

Rifter 28, page 51. Geo-Scout OCC; Official Source Material cut from China 2 for space considerations.

Would they be appropriate outside of china?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
guardiandashi
Hero

Blue_Lion wrote:
Todd Yoho wrote:

Thanks

Would they be appropriate outside of china?

after skimming it? yes with a few minor tweaks such as ignoring the typical chinese languages, swapping the Hand to hand to something more generic and possibly adjusting the equipment and the fact that they have an option for a "deamon armor" ability
taalismn
Priest

guardiandashi wrote:after skimming it? yes with a few minor tweaks such as ignoring the typical chinese languages, swapping the Hand to hand to something more generic and possibly adjusting the equipment and the fact that they have an option for a "deamon armor" ability

I'd substitute 'light exoskeleton' or 'light power armor' for "deamon armor" ...something light enough to get around in, strong enough to move heavy rock samples, and stiff enough to save you from being crushed in a cave-in or land-slide.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
guardiandashi
Hero

taalismn wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:after skimming it? yes with a few minor tweaks such as ignoring the typical chinese languages, swapping the Hand to hand to something more generic and possibly adjusting the equipment and the fact that they have an option for a "deamon armor" ability

I'd substitute 'light exoskeleton' or 'light power armor' for "deamon armor" ...something light enough to get around in, strong enough to move heavy rock samples, and stiff enough to save you from being crushed in a cave-in or land-slide.

the way I read it its like a demonic version of the cyberknight armor, but that would work, although their pilot skills as written pretty much ban robots and power armor skills
taalismn
Priest

guardiandashi wrote:[
the way I read it its like a demonic version of the cyberknight armor, but that would work, although their pilot skills as written pretty much ban robots and power armor skills

Light exoskeletons like the Triax T-11.Coalition CA-8EX, and the Japanese IA-130 Sumo can be worn and operated without a Power Armor skill. I believe that Northern Gun might have a light exoskeleton armor out as well in there recent books, and Naruni too. Only a matter of time before other Black Market groups make their own knockoffs, specially if there's a good market for the type.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Don’t forget about the cybernetic shovel hand!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:Don’t forget about the cybernetic shovel hand!

Which does NOT make you a geologist or a miner. It just makes you more efficient at shoveling/troweling...whatever.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

taalismn wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:[

Light exoskeletons like the Triax T-11.Coalition CA-8EX, and the Japanese IA-130 Sumo can be worn and operated without a Power Armor skill. I believe that Northern Gun might have a light exoskeleton armor out as well in there recent books, and Naruni too. Only a matter of time before other Black Market groups make their own knockoffs, specially if there's a good market for the type.

Non-PA Skilled Exo-Skeletons:
-Naruni NE-BA-40 and -55 (DB8 pg40-1)
-Japanese AT-A15 (WB8 pg183-4)
-Japanese IA-130 Sumo (WB8 pg185)
-Triax TXD-8 (WB7 pg193)
-Bear Body Armor (WB17 pg174-5)
-Triax T-11 (WB5 pg35)
-CS CA-6EX (WB11 pg102)
-NG-EX10 Gladius (Mercenearies pg101-2)
-Servo-Harness (Naruni is in DB8 pg42, Russian is WB17 pg178) that might count here
-IINM they are also used by Icarus Flight System-style (WB10) platforms the Naruni make (DB8, Quad-Wing) and the CS make (WB13, Death-Wing) Jet Packs for normal humans to be able to use them.
-I want to say Russia also uses them on the "Goblin"-Wing platforms
-the Russian MM-61 on pg176-7 of WB17 might also count.
desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

Unread post by desrocfc »

Late to the discussion, but if the Legacy Scout isn't one of the primary OCCs up for discussion, you should be keen to look at Rogue Scholar or Scientists. Bonus is none of them are specifically tied to a region of Rifts Earth.
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

thats two different things.
A miner would be best suited as a borg or PA pilot.

A geologist should be a rogue scientist, or maybe a mage who wants to specialize in such things. Who are those guys from Atlantis?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
taalismn
Priest

Shorty Lickens wrote:thats two different things.
A miner would be best suited as a borg or PA pilot.

A geologist should be a rogue scientist, or maybe a mage who wants to specialize in such things. Who are those guys from Atlantis?

Stone Masters. They're good at using stone, shaping stone, and finding water underground, so they're good miners in that. However, skills like geology and mining/excavation are not standard skills for the class(though they can be taken with a +10% bonus if the player uses up some elective skills).
Similar to Earth Elemental Warlocks in that regard; if you want to magically move lots of earth, they're your people. If you want to find specific things or plan out mines/underground facilities, better find ones who took some learning in addition to the magic.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Wait, isnt there some sort of explorer/scientist in Phase World?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
taalismn
Priest

Shorty Lickens wrote:Wait, isnt there some sort of explorer/scientist in Phase World?

CAF Scientist---Pretty generalist. Science skills at +20%, technical skills at +15%, so yeah, they could be trained in mining/geology/prospecting.
Colonist--Could train in mining with +5% bonus, but no bonuses to science skills.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The miner OCC in the PF Northern Hinterlands book page 172, modified to fit the settlement the char is a part of/came from.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”