immunity to souldrinking attacks?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

immunity to souldrinking attacks?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Wasn't there something out there that just gave a blanket immunity? I thought I saw that one time but can't time to find it.

This isn't about the rune weapons that give a save vs magic whenever blood is drawn because the simplest way to be immune to that is to just accumulate +13 to save vs magic (so you ALWAYS win the tie of 14+)

I'm talking about stuff where you can't get enough bonuses to guarantee a win (like Energy Expulsion: Soul Blast on Armageddon Unlimited 18, the best is +4 for being Principled which means a roll of 1-9 will always fail) or where there's no roll at all (Deathkiss, Tentac). In these cases it's not as easy as having your blood drawn, rather you need to be killed in the usual sense (HP<0) but for people who rely on a friendly priest resurrecting them, that's gotta suck.

Was there maybe a spell, a transformation, a super ability, which was some kind of blanket immunity?

I recall in Psyscape that astral projecting protects from Nxla stealing your soul (no soul to steal) so that makes me wonder if getting body killed by soul-drinker while astral form is out should prevent it? Astral projecting is common enough that you'd think there's be some mention of that for soul-drinking attacks though...

I thought something similar to "Soul in a Bottle" but that just gives bonuses to save vs magic similar to Ensorcel but neither seem to be protection that I'm remembering...

Edit: I might've been remembering "Soul Guard" from pg 101 of Rifts World Book 35: Megaverse in Flames but I'm not 100% sure. It's definitely an "absoulte" defence although you could get around it w/ a Negate Magic or Anti-Magic Cloud presumably, so I still think I'm remembering something else...
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: immunity to souldrinking attacks?

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Soul Stones pg 139 wb35 gives immunity to soul drinking.

Not has good, but dark seed Amulet gives immunity to one magicial attack every 48 hours. Much cheaper though much more limited and some may say soul drinking not really magicial attack.
Axelmania
Knight

aside from Soul Guard I think there is also an OCC ability for soulmancers them selves to be immune which would n't be vulnerable to anti-magic like the spell is
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The 'soul' card from the 'Deck of Fate' would protect. R13 But then again, if you loose the soul card your char could be in a world of hurt.

Soul drinking saving throw is vs 14.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The 'soul' card from the 'Deck of Fate' would protect.
R13 But then again, if you loose the soul card your char could be in a world of hurt.

Pg 45 doesn't single out how it affects souldrinking specifically but I agree it does sound like it should protect since the soul isn't in the body.

A lot of the effects of this seem to resemble the "Soul in a Bottle" spell but I don't think that would protect like the guard since in that case I think only HALF your soul is meant to be in the bottle.

I could see maybe SiaB causing some kind of partial protection against souldrinking though, I'm just not sure how we'd represent losing only half of one's soul permanently...

Maybe something like when one half of your chi spirits dies in Mystic China? But that can be very different depending on which half and I wouldn't know which half would be in the bottle.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
Maybe something like when one half of your chi spirits dies in Mystic China?

Here is where I go 'Huh, what are you talking about?" since I am quite familiar with the MC and Chi texts. You are going to need to make a very specific citing for this.
--------
Then I will mention that you didn't Reff. where the Soul in a Bottle spell located.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:Maybe something like when one half of your chi spirits dies in Mystic China?

Here is where I go 'Huh, what are you talking about?"
since I am quite familiar with the MC and Chi texts.
You are going to need to make a very specific citing for this.

I was thinking of how Two Minds / Jing Shi is described on 163.

Hun (Cloud Soul: analytical) and Po (Bone Soul: instinct)

The idea being if you use this with Mind Walk (as last paragraph suggests) to explore what would happen if the walking half was killed.

Pg 162 covers the dangers: Fist Gesture can just insta-kill you, while others can damage chi, and zero chi is "dead with no hope of any recovery".

163 doesn't explore what would happen if only HALF of your soul dies while mind-walking but there's sort of a hint at that in the demons section under "Wandering Infernals".

134 has the "Angry Po Spirit" mentions that when people die the soul splits into 2 pieces: Hun goes to afterlife and Po stays w/ body and chills out, floats around w/ chi, joins tao.

Dying when angry though (or more broadly "unresolved emotion" or "extreme emotionalism") leaves the Po agitated so it doesn't do that.

Pg 135 is the opposite, the "Bodiless Ghosts - Kuei Hsien" are the Hun half of the soul

136 (Chinese Possessive Entity - sadly no special name here, which would help in distinguishing from the BTS/Rifts non-Chinese PE) would be both halfs and mentions sometimes how pure chi explores (ie mind walkers) can end up this way if they can't return to body.

I guess there's no special situation about if just one half of your soul dies: you just would suffer the effects of that half being absent indefinitely.

It seems to be implied though that at least the Hun can continue to survive indefinitely without the Po, since Huns go on to live in afterlife for prob a long time while the Po usually just fizzle out.

There's no mention of how it works the other way around: if Po can survive the death of the Hun.

If I were to speculate: they probably gradually lose their sense of purpose at least when bodiless (why they fizzle out when Hun goes to afterlife) but maybe if they were still in a living body they could persist indefinitely: because there's no actual mention of a max duration on using Two Minds + Mind Walk.

I don't even know if there's a way for a Po left behind to protect a body to sense whether or not it's Hun is still alive.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:you didn't Reff. where the Soul in a Bottle spell located.

TTGD as we both know, I shouldn't forget to write for the benefit of less familiar 3rd party readers though, good point.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Are the Id, the Ego or Super Ego a different spirit in a person or are they just describing a part of the human mind and are all one spirit?*rhetorical*

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”