Degree of granularity, specificity or detail...

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Degree of granularity, specificity or detail...

Unread post by slade the sniper »

So, how much granularity or specificity or detail do YOU or your players desire in a game?

Do your players want to know the difference between 5.56mm M193 ammo and M855 ammo through an M4 carbine?
Or, are your players OK with just knowing the caliber? Or just the fact that it is a carbine?

The reason that I want to know is that I am trying to figure out how much detail I should go into for a wargame I am continually fiddling with. My current thought is to have all the detail in the game, but have it all be pretty much optional if the GM/players don't want it.

I suspect that the more detail the game has, the longer and more complex the combat will be...and I am not sure how complex/time consuming combat should be for most players. I find that most D&D games (especially 3rd Edition) and Palladium games are a bit too much for most players...and that BRP/Call of Cthulhu might be a bit too little, at least vanilla.

So, what are your opinions?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Degree of granularity, specificity or detail...

Unread post by Jefffar »

When it comes to a wargame, in which units face off on a map, you want to resolve things as quickly and simply as possible.

As a result you should try to avoid extra details.

In a roleplaying game, players seek out every little edge that can make their character more unique/special/stronger. Special rules make more sense here.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

So a system I use for Dead Reign, and games like it, is associated digits. So for instance: .22 rim, mag, hrn, and lr are all treated the same (even though they are not). This allows players to use .50 AE for a pistol but then turn around and use the same ammo for a musket or BMG. I tend to use this system because I use sites like GunBroker or GunWiki to determine random loot, I also use Google Maps and related websites to determine loot when searching specific areas.

Although I'm sure that their is a market for pure survivalist, I've found that player are generally frustrated about having both ammunition and firearms but completely unable to use either.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Thanks.

As you stated for an RPG it needs to be detailed, but for a wargame much less so. The game is actually a bridge between RPGs and Wargames...basically to let players become commanders with their own troops.

Anything to add with that new info?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The group I game with is made up of ex-military, history buffs, and firearms aficionados so we get specific and detailed. We set up a table with ranges of calibers and their damage to make it simpler, but we keep track of ammo and other expendables. Tactical reload is your friend.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

slade the sniper wrote:Thanks.

As you stated for an RPG it needs to be detailed, but for a wargame much less so. The game is actually a bridge between RPGs and Wargames...basically to let players become commanders with their own troops.

Anything to add with that new info?

-STS

In wargames I have played that have 'heroes' and 'characters' there is generally something special or extra they can get, but it's rarely more than a +1 or +2 (on a D6, so +3 to +6 on a D20) above what the regulars have.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Sohisohi wrote:So a system I use for Dead Reign, and games like it, is associated digits. So for instance: .22 rim, mag, hrn, and lr are all treated the same (even though they are not). This allows players to use .50 AE for a pistol but then turn around and use the same ammo for a musket or BMG. I tend to use this system because I use sites like GunBroker or GunWiki to determine random loot, I also use Google Maps and related websites to determine loot when searching specific areas.

Although I'm sure that their is a market for pure survivalist, I've found that player are generally frustrated about having both ammunition and firearms but completely unable to use either.

I enjoy throwing that loop at players.
It encourages research, and role-play.
If your character's a survivalist, you may want to at least know a few things about it...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”