Need Item that Allows D-Port

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Achalon1
D-Bee

Need Item that Allows D-Port

Unread post by Achalon1 »

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of an item that a character could buy/get that would allow a Dimensional Portal spell. Like a TW item or something from the Splugorth. I know there's a stone in Wormwood, but that would disintegrate when removed from Wormwood.

Thanks,
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Need Item that Allows D-Port

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A scroll if the obvious answer.

If a GM really wants, pretty much any scroll can be of an unstable spell, and it coincidentally sends you on a cross-dimensional adventure.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Achalon1
D-Bee

Unread post by Achalon1 »

Reusable Item that can be taken from a character. :)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mark Hall wrote:A scroll if the obvious answer.

Astral Portal from Between the Shadows is I think low-level enough you could jam it onto a Talisman, though you'd need to use it twice (once to enter the astral ,once to exit) assuming that it lets you go ANYWHERE in the astral plane and ANYWHERE in the non-astral plane...

If OP is looking for something with less limited use, I think one of the Phase World sourcebooks had rules for creating self-recharging (uses per day) talismans with a UWW-unique OCC, which sort of explains where the Altara got their fabulous Armor of Ithan goodies from WB2 which had no crunch justifying their creation until then.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Achalon1 wrote:Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of an item that a character could buy/get that would allow a Dimensional Portal spell. Like a TW item or something from the Splugorth. I know there's a stone in Wormwood, but that would disintegrate when removed from Wormwood.

Thanks,

Any TW who knows the spell or has a friend who knows the spell can make a TW item to do it. See the rules for making TW items in RUE. There isn't a premade item in the books, but "Make TW item that casts a spell" is more than doable.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Does this item need to be creatable by PCs?

If the answer is no..

Simply make it up.

There are HUNDREDS of items that the PCs cant make (that have NO game-mechanical way to make them, which is fine).

So just say "this guy has an item that allows you to Dimensional Teleport when you pump X PPE into it". That simple.

How was it created? irrelevant. How does it work? Irrelevant. It's magic, it just works.

Done.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Axelmania
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Any TW who knows the spell or has a friend who knows the spell can make a TW item to do it.
See the rules for making TW items in RUE.

This just made me realize, now that all shifters start off knowing Dimensional Portal, devices that do that should probably be a lot more accessible. Though a shifter might be reluctant to teach their pseudo-monopoly spell to a new apprentice much less help put it into a device that lets ANYONE do it, as that might affect their ability to earn income.

If Erin Tarn had such a device she never would've hired that guy to transport her safely past the Vampire Kingdoms to South America.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Axelmania wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Any TW who knows the spell or has a friend who knows the spell can make a TW item to do it.
See the rules for making TW items in RUE.

This just made me realize, now that all shifters start off knowing Dimensional Portal, devices that do that should probably be a lot more accessible. Though a shifter might be reluctant to teach their pseudo-monopoly spell to a new apprentice much less help put it into a device that lets ANYONE do it, as that might affect their ability to earn income.

If Erin Tarn had such a device she never would've hired that guy to transport her safely past the Vampire Kingdoms to South America.

..because, Guild-Dues :D :demon: :ok:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

DhAkael wrote:..because, Guild-Dues :D :demon: :ok:

Teleportation Teamsters. Respect and fear them...and especially pay them.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Blank Wormwood crystal with D-port encoded to it.

(must be returned to the Living Planet every d6 hours or else it crumbles to dust.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Braden Campbell wrote:Blank Wormwood crystal with D-port encoded to it.

(must be returned to the Living Planet every d6 hours or else it crumbles to dust.

There is a problem in of itself that it is hard to travel to and from wormwood.

There is a circle that can creates rifts in PF summoner. The circle is can be considered an item and open rifts to other planes but is not able to go with you. (requires casters blood, fecal matter from a demon or deviel and a dragon heart to make.)

A TW could work with a Shifter and make a dimensional teleporting item.

If you can find some to build it you could pay for the construction of a pyramid.

I have a few dimensional traveling items I have created for my games.
A space ship that instead of a FTL has a dimensional rift drive.
Crazy Hetz transdimensional castle.
Sword of dimensional cleaving.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

FWIW...

Per the TW Creation rules in RUE, one could build a Dimensional Teleport device for as little as $240,000 with the following stats:
    Device Level 10
    Spells: Dimensional Teleport
    Activation: 60 PPE
    Payload: None. User must provide 60 PPE.
    Construction: 1200 PPE & 1200 hours
    Gems carats: 120 Onyx

But you'd need a Techno-Wizard who's at least level 10 to spend 1,200 hours (or 150 workdays) to construct it. The sale price would be double-digit millions (IMHO).
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Axelmania
Knight

Braden Campbell wrote:Blank Wormwood crystal with D-port encoded to it.

Or you just need to build a land-bridge of Wormwood through a portal you keep open. This is the only way I can explain how Salome was able to use a crystal from her other-dimensional lair in the comic.

That or she's somehow transported a chunk of wormwood into the Demon Goblin Homeworld similar to that place in South America.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Mack wrote:FWIW...

Per the TW Creation rules in RUE, one could build a Dimensional Teleport device for as little as $240,000 with the following stats:
    Device Level 10

But you'd need a Techno-Wizard who's at least level 10 to spend 1,200 hours (or 150 workdays) to construct it. The sale price would be double-digit millions (IMHO).

Are those hours or man-hours? Because I could see a master working with their apprentices and turning something out sooner.

Even neater would be level/man/hours, but that gets messy.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Mark Hall wrote:
Mack wrote:FWIW...

Device Level 10

Are those hours or man-hours? Because I could see a master working with their apprentices and turning something out sooner.

Even neater would be level/man/hours, but that gets messy.

It's just hours (as listed by RUE). Using apprentices would make it faster, but there's not a good way to quantify by how much. Plus there's a rule that the creator has to be at least the same level as the Device Level (10th in this case) so that's going to limit how much an apprentice can contribute. It's a GM's call.

Other good avenues would be to add more carats or lower the device level. Either of those will lower the hours.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Achalon1 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks,

You might look in Transdimensional TMNT.
IIRC, there's magic, tech gadgets, and maybe some other stuff that allows for interdimensional travel.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”