Actions per melee (discrepancy)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Meneliki
D-Bee

Actions per melee (discrepancy)

Unread post by Meneliki »

Hi,

So quick question. Let's examine a simple example.

Aimed shot: takes 2 melee actions.

Logically: you call the aimed shot this turn, but because it takes 2 actions, you actually FIRE the shot on your next turn (aaaiiimmm..........fire!)
Actual gameplay: you call the aimed shot and it fires off instantly, though it burns this action and your last. (aimFIRE!)

Spell casting - lvl 6 - takes 2 melee actions

Logically: you start the spell this turn, it goes off next turn
Acual gameplay: you start the spell this turn, it goes off next turn

Sooo....

...yeah. Why the discrepancy? Why the double standard? How do you guys play it? WHY do spells that take more than 1 melee action... you know.. actually TAKE more than one melee action to perform... meanwhile combat actions (like aimed shot etc) happen instantly? (merely consuming 2 actions, but actually happening instantly?)

Help? How do you guys play it? My instinct, given what I've read in the rules.. is that aimed shots etc. should mimic magic. If you want to aim a shot, you START aiming this turn.. and your shot actually GOES OFF next turn.. hence.. TWO ACTIONS... AIM... FIRE...

What do you guys think?

Thanks! :)
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Actions per melee (discrepancy)

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Meneliki wrote:Hi,

Logically: you call the aimed shot this turn, but because it takes 2 actions, you actually FIRE the shot on your next turn (aaaiiimmm..........fire!)
Actual gameplay: you call the aimed shot and it fires off instantly, though it burns this action and your last. (aimFIRE!)

Sooo....

...yeah. Why the discrepancy? Why the double standard? How do you guys play it? WHY do spells that take more than 1 melee action... you know.. actually TAKE more than one melee action to perform... meanwhile combat actions (like aimed shot etc) happen instantly? (merely consuming 2 actions, but actually happening instantly?)

Help? How do you guys play it? My instinct, given what I've read in the rules.. is that aimed shots etc. should mimic magic. If you want to aim a shot, you START aiming this turn.. and your shot actually GOES OFF next turn.. hence.. TWO ACTIONS... AIM... FIRE...

What do you guys think?

The group I game with has all multiple action activities come off at the end of the last action (i.e. spells, aimed, and called shots fire on the last action). The sole exception being automatic weapon burst fire which takes place over the course of the multiple actions. Any attack that causes SDC or HP damage to the person engaged in the multiple action activity blows that activity.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

SpiritInterface wrote:

Sooo....

What do you guys think?

The group I game with has all multiple action activities come off at the end of the last action (i.e. spells, aimed, and called shots fire on the last action). The sole exception being automatic weapon burst fire which takes place over the course of the multiple actions. Any attack that causes SDC or HP damage to the person engaged in the multiple action activity blows that activity.

Its going to sound like a cop out, but the way i remember it working in my group was it depends on the nature of the multi-action action.
If it was aiming, spell casting or similar, then it would go off on the next action, if it was a power attack, a leap kick, etc. Then it goes off immediately, but consumes two actions to use because there isn't thr long "wind-up" before the action triggers.
I also disagree with the official rules for some wp based skill uses, but thats what house rules are for.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Meneliki wrote:Actual gameplay: you call the aimed shot and it fires off instantly, though it burns this action and your last. (aimFIRE!)

Pardon me, but where does it actually say this? I don't recall ever seeing a rule that says an aimed shot goes off the same turn and it just burns one off the end of your total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Look, you have to realize that Palladium's system is a 40 year old kit car held together with bondo and bailing wire. When things break down, the usual solution is twice as much bondo and some duct tape from a grocery store.

In a situation like that, you're going to have some weirdness, and just have to rule on which way it falls.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Meneliki wrote:Actual gameplay: you call the aimed shot and it fires off instantly, though it burns this action and your last. (aimFIRE!)

Pardon me, but where does it actually say this? I don't recall ever seeing a rule that says an aimed shot goes off the same turn and it just burns one off the end of your total.

I had the same question. It is not explicit stated either way but I always thought it was pretty clear that it goes off on the last attack.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

yeah, i think somebody's fellow roleplayer took them for a ride here. that said, i'm not sure exactly where the rules for multi action attacks is located.....
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mark Hall wrote:Look, you have to realize that Palladium's system is a 40 year old kit car held together with bondo and bailing wire. When things break down, the usual solution is twice as much bondo and some duct tape from a grocery store.

In a situation like that, you're going to have some weirdness, and just have to rule on which way it falls.

Apt! My point however, was mostly that he's complaining that the Rules As Written are inconsistant, but that the rules don't actually say what he says they say. It simply says it counts as two attacks and it's up to the GM to decide if the attack goes off on the first or second attack. So if he wants it to be consistant with how casting spells works, all he has to do is start playing that way. the Rules seem to be consistant. I know I and every group I've played in always ruled that aimed and called shots go off on the second turn.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nekira Sudacne wrote: mostly that he's complaining that the Rules As Written are inconsistant, but that the rules don't actually say what he says they say. It simply says it counts as two attacks and it's up to the GM to decide if the attack goes off on the first or second attack.

This is my understanding as well.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

it is at least heavily implied in the rules for interrupting spellcasting that a 2 action spell goes off on the second action, not the first. otherwise you wouldn't be able to interrupt it any more than you could interrupt a 1 action spell.
Not-a-rogue-scholar
D-Bee
Comment: Rifts, Robotech, and Palladium Fantasy - in that order

Unread post by Not-a-rogue-scholar »

Sooo....

What do you guys think?

Use initiative rolls for all actions of players' attacks per melee

The spell casting or weapon aiming takes 2 actions to give the target an opportunity to win at least one of the two initiative rolls before the attack die roll. If the target wins one of them, it can run or do something defensive or offensive. (two simple 1D20 initiative contest)

Attacks are instant - and no initiative rolls required, as well - if target is unaware of such an attack.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Shark_Force wrote:it is at least heavily implied in the rules for interrupting spellcasting that a 2 action spell goes off on the second action, not the first. otherwise you wouldn't be able to interrupt it any more than you could interrupt a 1 action spell.

Agreed.
But I don’t think there’s anything saying that Aimed Shots work any different.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:it is at least heavily implied in the rules for interrupting spellcasting that a 2 action spell goes off on the second action, not the first. otherwise you wouldn't be able to interrupt it any more than you could interrupt a 1 action spell.

Agreed.
But I don’t think there’s anything saying that Aimed Shots work and different.

It implies that aimed and called shots take time, it makes suppressing fire worth something. Since you actually have to do damage to the shooter (i.e. SDC or HP) and not just damage their armor it isn't that easy to do.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I think we had the same problem with power punches before: I think most players infer that things with multi-action costs only happen after their cost is payable (except dodges or entangles), but there wasn't language for that until even the 1st printing of RUE, as we can see on the 2nd-last page (18/19) of https://www.palladiumbooks.com/images/D ... Eratta.pdf for RUE p 346 they added in red (new) text the italic-fonted "blow lands on the second action" parenthesized.

I think it's pretty reasonable to think aimed/called/A&C shots taking 2-3 actions would also follow this pattern.

A simpler way to do it would simply be to have the "shot" always take 1 attack, and have "aim it" and "call it" alternate options one can take 1-2 actions prior to shooting to benefit it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

SpiritInterface wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Agreed.
But I don’t think there’s anything saying that Aimed Shots work and different.

It implies that aimed and called shots take time, it makes suppressing fire worth something. Since you actually have to do damage to the shooter (i.e. SDC or HP) and not just damage their armor it isn't that easy to do.

I'm not certain we're having the same conversation.

Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Instead of applying multi-action costs to these things, maybe it would be simpler to define "Aim" as a form of attack which gives +2 to hit with whatever ranged weapon you aimed with if shot immediately after aiming.

Similar for power punch: call it "Big Windup" and the effect is that if you deliver an attack in the next action with whatever hand you pulled back, the damage is doubled.

Or "prep spell" for higher-level spells.
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Mark Hall wrote:Look, you have to realize that Palladium's system is a 40 year old kit car held together with bondo and bailing wire. When things break down, the usual solution is twice as much bondo and some duct tape from a grocery store.

SO your saying that palladium's rules are like some rednecks old chevy camaro...got it :lol: 8) :twisted:

Return to “Rifts®”