Psi-Slayer race options

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AdamB85
D-Bee

Psi-Slayer race options

Unread post by AdamB85 »

Can a Psi-slayer only be a strict human? What about True Atlantean? Unlike the Psi-ghost (with is a human specific mutation), Psi-slayer seems to be more training based.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Psi-Slayer race options

Unread post by Mack »

Welcome to the forums!

Page 73 says humans only, but don't let that get in the way a creating a good character. If you do choose another race, it should be one capable of becoming a Master Psychic.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Howdy, new poster!

Psi-Slayers are listed as being a type of mutant, but it isn't really as exclusive in terms of abilities as psionic mutants like the Psi-Ghost. WB30:D-Bees of North America lists that Noli can be Psi-Slayers, similarly to how they give lots of exceptions to the otherwise human-only Elemental Fusionist. It's possible there are other d-bees that are mentioned there and elsewhere, but as above any Master Psychic capable species could potentially fit.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Given that it's Rifts, you can usually get away with "My True Atlantean Psi-Slayer comes from an alternate dimension where True Atlanteans can be Psi-Slayers."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As per the original text they are the way they are because of a mutation that happens (¿happened?) to humans from rifts earth. Much like the psi-ghost, except it was not specifically said to be hereditary. So it could be that it is a recessive mutation that crops up every once in a while in all humans of rifts earth.

If you are going to stray from the text..Make sure you tell the GM what you did before giving it to him/her to look over to okay it for their game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

AdamB85 wrote:Can a Psi-slayer only be a strict human? What about True Atlantean? Unlike the Psi-ghost (with is a human specific mutation), Psi-slayer seems to be more training based.

No. Psi Slayers are human mutants. That's the real answer. Don't let people sway you from deviating from the rules...cause whats the point of them then?

Remember, TAs are more powerful in their own right, simply by being born they have higher stats than humans. Also there are plenty of TA only OCCs that are exclusive to TAs that humans cant have. Heck, there are certain OCCs that only certain TA CLANS can have.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Kagashi wrote:
AdamB85 wrote:Can a Psi-slayer only be a strict human? What about True Atlantean? Unlike the Psi-ghost (with is a human specific mutation), Psi-slayer seems to be more training based.

No. Psi Slayers are human mutants. That's the real answer. Don't let people sway you from deviating from the rules...cause whats the point of them then?

Remember, TAs are more powerful in their own right, simply by being born they have higher stats than humans. Also there are plenty of TA only OCCs that are exclusive to TAs that humans cant have. Heck, there are certain OCCs that only certain TA CLANS can have.

I would have to disagree with you on rules. Rules are nothing more than guideline you can use if you see fit. If they don't work, then change them, after all we are talking about a game here, not anything in real life of any importance. But thats what the Chaotic Good side of my nature thinks :>
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Emerald MoonSilver wrote:[

I would have to disagree with you on rules. Rules are nothing more than guideline you can use if you see fit. If they don't work, then change them, after all we are talking about a game here, not anything in real life of any importance. But thats what the Chaotic Good side of my nature thinks :>

Just don't bring your True Atlantean-Zentraedi hybrid demigod psi-stalker to another GM's game unless it's absolutely 100% okay with them first.
And that the GM's guidelined rules don't include Sun Tzu's paraphrased 'Kill the Most Munchkiny Character in the Party First'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Emerald MoonSilver wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

Um...then they would be guidelines...not rules...
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
AdamB85
D-Bee

Unread post by AdamB85 »

Actually just read Secrets of the Atlantean again and under the True Atlantean RCC on pg 49 it lists that they can be master psionics including OCCs such as mind melter, burster, psi-ghost etc. I can’t find anywhere in Psyscape that psi-slayer is a significant mutation (psi-ghost spells that out more clearly).
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Curbludgeon wrote:WB30:D-Bees of North America lists that Noli can be Psi-Slayers,

I remember that from Canada :)

Kagashi wrote:No. Psi Slayers are human mutants. That's the real answer.
Don't let people sway you from deviating from the rules

Subsequent books already told us to deviate from prior rules.

AdamB85 wrote:Actually just read Secrets of the Atlantean again
and under the True Atlantean RCC on pg 49
it lists that they can be master psionics
including OCCs such as mind melter, burster, psi-ghost etc.
I can’t find anywhere in Psyscape that psi-slayer is a significant mutation
(psi-ghost spells that out more clearly).

Atlanteans can explicitly be Psi-Ghosts? *checks* DB15 might be the first to clarify that... neato!

Given that, I don't see how a Psi-Slayer could be that much more mutated than guys with a major super power who can scramble their molecules...

Anyone know if we ever got any statements regarding Atlantean / Psi-Stalker compatibility?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Kagashi wrote:
Emerald MoonSilver wrote:
Kagashi wrote:

Um...then they would be guidelines...not rules...

Rule 0 over rides any other rule making them effectively just guide lines if they do not fit the GMs view. :fool: Now make your saving throw vs GM wrath. :fool:
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kagashi wrote:Um...then they would be guidelines...not rules...

Rifts rules are looser than a newborn's stool. Like, seriously, even they are not written to be a tightly integrated machine. They are written to shamble forward, with the GM and players running around, applying patches they can all live with.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Mark Hall wrote:

Rifts rules are looser than a newborn's stool. Like, seriously, even they are not written to be a tightly integrated machine. They are written to shamble forward, with the GM and players running around, applying patches they can all live with.

Which is why we love them just the way they are :lol:

Seriously though, this is about as accurate a description as I've ever heard, and for me personally, I love the freedom that comes with that.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Mark Hall wrote:

And accomplishes nothing but the need for a forum for fans to fight in. For example...this entire thread. Man...I knew I stopped playing for a reason...
Updated Aug 2015
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Kagashi wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

And accomplishes nothing but the need for a forum for fans to fight in. For example...this entire thread. Man...I knew I stopped playing for a reason...

Name a tabletop game that has a dedicated form that ISN'T full of fans arguing and debating the meaning of rules and whether or not something is possible.

Then provide me a link because you might have found the holy grail of tabletop gaming. :lol:
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Name a tabletop game that has a dedicated form that ISN'T full of fans arguing and debating the meaning of rules and whether or not something is possible.

Then provide me a link because you might have found the holy grail of tabletop gaming. :lol:

You want the battletech forums. they've relentlessly worked to make the rules unambiguous as possible to the point you can't meaningfully argue how the rules work (and they have a subforum for those exact questions to be answered by the writers, who are a bunch of engineers and such and dislike vaugery)

doesn't stop us from arguing everything else, but the rules themselves are solid as bedrock.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Orin J. wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

You want the battletech forums. they've relentlessly worked to make the rules unambiguous as possible to the point you can't meaningfully argue how the rules work (and they have a subforum for those exact questions to be answered by the writers, who are a bunch of engineers and such and dislike vaugery)

doesn't stop us from arguing everything else, but the rules themselves are solid as bedrock.

Oh interesting, I have to admit that I know very little about battletech though. Is it more than just a tabletop wargame? Is it a full on RPG as well? Either way, LOVE the look of those minifigures.

Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:Name a tabletop game that has a dedicated form that ISN'T full of fans arguing and debating the meaning of rules and whether or not something is possible.

Oh interesting, I have to admit that I know very little about battletech though. Is it more than just a tabletop wargame? Is it a full on RPG as well? Either way, LOVE the look of those minifigures.

the main game is a wargame, but there's been a full RPG on the side for pretty much ever and they're coming out with a new "narrative system" edition since the older very granular rules haven't generally done well. so you'll have an edition to pick for how you like to play RPGs.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Orin J. wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:Name a tabletop game that has a dedicated form that ISN'T full of fans arguing and debating the meaning of rules and whether or not something is possible.

the main game is a wargame, but there's been a full RPG on the side for pretty much ever and they're coming out with a new "narrative system" edition since the older very granular rules haven't generally done well. so you'll have an edition to pick for how you like to play RPGs.

Oh dang thats really cool. Thank you so much for the info! It makes sense that this was developed by engineers though, I know plenty of those guys and they tend to be very very particular about making sure everything lines up and all the math checks out. Good on them :lol:

That being said, I stand corrected and rescind my previous statement, the holy grail DOES apparently exist. How many iterations and rule versions/changes did they go through before they got to the point of clarity they're currently at? I'm genuinely interested in how they came to be so precise and how much effort they had to put in to do so.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Rule 0 over rides any other rule making them effectively just guide lines if they do not fit the GMs view. :fool: Now make your saving throw vs GM wrath. :fool:

Sounds like the two rules about RPGs I learned while playing the red and blue boxed DnD...

Rule 1: The GM is always right.
Rule 2: If the GM is wrong see rule number1.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”