OC design: Titan close assult robot

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Orin J.
Adventurer

OC design: Titan close assult robot

Unread post by Orin J. »

I wanted to cook up a new Titan Robot. too bad my art skills (and scanner) aren't up to snuff for this sorta thing but it gets the idea across.

Titan Close Assault Robot

A recent release during the invasion of the minion war by the enigmatic Titan Robotics, the Titan Close assault robot is designed around hand to hand combat which is usually the weakness of giant combat robots. The robot is built around melee combat and is both able to withstand the blows of monstrous attacks without flinching while the powerful clawed hands can rip monsters limb from limb! This Robot is already in high demand from large mercenary companies and kingdoms used to dealing with incursions by giant MDC monsters, who pair it with more conventional war machines for a brutal combination of the robot pinning a giant robot in place to be shot by allies! As usual, Titan Robotics small production runs is keeping prices high (often sells for 40-60% above listed price due to high demand!) which is the largest problem the Close Assault Titan has to many people.

The Titan Close Assault Robot was actually one of A.R.C.H.I.E. 3's periodic attempts at personal creativity. While reviewing recordings from damaged/destroyed Titan robots, the machine intellect got annoyed at how often he had to see his robots overwhelmed in close combat and sought to create something new and innovative to turn the tables on supernatural beings. The result wasn't nearly as creative as A.R.C.H.I.E. 3 had hoped, and he quietly pushed it out the door. As it turned out the design excels in grappling like few other robots and is more than capable of tearing most monsters apart but A.R.C.H.I.E. feels it's too much like admitting monsters are better than robots in close combat by imitation to really feel happy with it, so production numbers are likely to stay low.

Model type: TR-006
Class: Anti-monster Close assault robot
Crew: One Pilot, One co-pilot/Gunner/Communications officer/ and can accommodate one passenger, two under cramped conditions.
M.D.C. by location:
Shoulder Railgun Turrets(2) - 220 each
*Missile tower(1; left shoulder) - 60
*Belly Ion turret - 40
*Hands(2) - 110 Each
Forearm Shields(2) - 160 each
*Minilaser turrets (2) - 40 each
Arms(2) - 250 each
Legs(2) - 300 each
*Head smoke dispenser - 70
*Head -180
**Sensor tower (1; right shoulder)- 30
***Main Body- 550
Reinforced pilot's compartment: 100
* All items marked with a single asterisk are small and difficult targets to hit and even a character making a called shot is -3 to strike
**Destroying the sensor tower on the assault titan will destroy the radar, thermo-imaging, and targeting systems. The pilot must now rely on his own human vision and other optical enhancements of the robot. the tower is a small and difficult target to hit, requiring a called shot and even then the attacker is -2 to strike.
Depleting the MDC of the main body will destroy the robot, rendering it useless.
Speed:
Running: 60 MPH (96 KPH) maximum
Leaping: The Close assault Titan is not designed for leaping. Leap is only 6 feet high and 10 across. Add 10 feet with a running start.
Flying: flight is not possible.
Underwater capabilities: the TR-006 isn't designed for underwater travel, and can only walk on the floor at a maximum speed of 20 MPH (32 KPH)
Statistical data:
Height: 20 feet
Width: 13 feet
Length: 9 feet
Weight: 20 tons fully loaded
Physical strength: Equal to robotic PS 38
Cargo: Minimal storage space, a locker about four feet for spare weapons, clothing, and personal items is built into the robot.
Power system: Nuclear, average energy life about 15 years
Cost: 24 million for a new, undamaged unit complete with ammunition for the rail gun, smoke launchers, and missiles. Poor availability.
weapon systems:
1: Rail gun turrets (2): A Rail gun sits over each shoulder in a heavily armor turret as the robot's main weapon (Actually, the main weapon is the robot's close combat abilities). the turrets are able to angle the guns 90 degrees straight up as well as towards the ground and rotate 270 degrees (the rest is blocked by the head/system towers) in all directions to target enemies both forward and back of the robot as well as flying and are operated by the co-pilot to leave the robot free to focus on fighting in melee combat. Comparatively weak as a main weapon.
Primary purpose: Anti-monster/Anti-air
Secondary purpose: Assault
Mega damage: A 40-round burst is 6D6 MDC or 1D6 X10 for a dual burst from both railguns.
Rate of Fire: Each single or double burst counts as one melee attack. the rail guns are normally controlled by the co-pilot.
Effective range: 4000 feet (1200m)
Payload: Each gun has a dedicated 10,000 round internal drum, enough for 250 bursts. reloading the internal drums requires a trained mechanic or operator, special equipment and about 30 minutes.

2: Belly gun- double barreled Ion cannon: A heavy ion cannon is mounted in the belly of the robot to deal with ground troops and close-range threats. The turret can rotate 180 degrees in all directions.
Primary purpose: Assault and Anti-personnel
Secondary purpose: Anti-armor and Defense
Mega damage: 4D6 for a single blast or 1D4 x 10 for a dual simultaneous blast.
Rate of fire: Each blast counts as one melee attack.
Effective range: 1200 feet (366m)
Payload: effectively unlimited

3: Mini-missile Turret: A multiple shot missile launcher is mounted on a shoulder turret. The turret has a 360 rotation and is intended to defend against enemies from all directions to allow the robot to focus on melee combat, like the rail guns.
Primary purpose: Anti-air and Anti-armor
Secondary purpose: Defense and Assault
Mega damage: Varies with missile type
Missile type: Any mini-missile can be used, but the robot is sold with a mix of fragmentation (5D6) and armor piercing (1D4 x 10)
Rate of fire: One at a time or in volleys of 2,3 or 4
Effective range: One mile (1.6 km)
Payload: 24 missiles total

4: Arm minilaser turrets(2): Each forearm has a small concealed laser turret built into the forearm shields that retracts when not firing. The weapon is intended to drive off demons and other monsters trying to swarm the robot and immobilize it. Note: If the forearm shields are destroyed the minilaser turrets are lost as well.
Primary purpose: Defense
Secondary purpose: Anti-infantry
Mega damage: 2D6 per laser blast
Rate of fire: One laser blast for each melee attack. These weapon is used either by the co-pilot or tied into the combat computer for automatic fire ( +2 to hit, 4 attacks every melee round total)
Effective range: 2000 feet (600m)
Payload: Effectively unlimited

5: Smoke launcher: A smoke launcher is built into the chest of the robot, ejecting smoke or tear gas in a 80 ft (24m) area in front of it through the vents under the head. the launcher can actually be reloaded inside the pilot's compartment, but this takes two rounds each and the pilot is at -2 to all combat actions while reloading takes place. Can fire all standard smoke/gas canisters.
Payload: 4, sold with 3 smoke and one tear gas

6: Retractable silver plated vibro-blade claws: Add 2D6 to open hand/ tear damage. Additionally, vibro blades are built into the the feet that add 1D6 to kick attacks.

7: Hand to hand: The robot is designed to engage in hand to hand and even grapple and hold opponents with much more robustly built hands and arms than most robots, inflicting additional damage as per robotic PS. Titan series elite robot combat applies all benefits plus the following:
Additional +2 to strike at levels 4 and 12
Additional +1 to parry, entangle and roll with punch, fall, or impact at levels 2, 6, 12, and 16
Entangle. Auto-pin attempt on entangled enemy at level 3
Arm, neck, and body hold/pin available against opponents 12 feet or more. Unlike normal grapplers, the Titan robot uses their strength score (of 38!) for purposes maintaining of the hold.
Automatic roll with punch, fall, or impact at level 6
Mega-damage: all attacks listed under Elite Titan robot combat with exceptions as follows-
~Restrained punch/claw 1D6 MD
~Full punch/claw 3D6 MD
~Power punch (claws not applicable) 1D4 X 10 MD, counts as two attacks
~Crush/Tear with claw: 2D6 MD, 6D6 to objects under 8 feet tall
~Tear with both hands: 2D6 x 10 MD to held location, plus additional 1d6 x 10 with claws. Only possible against pinned, stunned or incapacitated targets.
Leap kick impossible

8: systems of note: all standard robot features as well as thermo-imaging, telescopic vision, automated targeting integrated into the combat computer for the laser and ion turrets (targeting range 800 ft) and a gyroscopic compensation system granting the robot a 30% bonus against being knocked down (subtract from knockdown attempts). Unknown to everyone, there is also a small black box recording device that is accessible by titan robotics and A.R.C.H.I.E. three whenever the robot is brought into a titan robotics maintenance facility.
Last edited by Orin J. on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: OC design: Titan close assult robot

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I like it and be kind to yourself because your artwork is ten times better than anything I can do. Personally I love the idea of robots that can go hand to hand with monsters but the new Titan Robotics book has the monster Killer but truthfully this is an...uninspiring design that really doesn't have a hook to get players to notice it. So there is definitely some room for a real brawler, I have a few notes though.

If this is supposed to be for CQB with monsters dump the ion or laser weapons you don't need both. Personally I would put a small laser turret on top of each rail gun to give you a full 360 area of fire, 2D6 or 3D6 each is pretty reasonable and you really only need one energy weapon when your going against creatures that where many of them are energy resistant or can be with magic.

The vehicle you made is 20 ft tall and the mini-missile launcher is huge. Comparable robots can have 20 - 40 so you should be able to do 24 or 28 and still be under powered compared to NG or CS models.

You may also want to add some built in blades on the back, shoulders, elbows and give it some special maneuvers like rotating its waist to throw an opponent or build in some blades or better yet put heavy neural mace like devices built into the fists so when it punches it delivers a penalty to some creatures. Built in weapons in the arm like a blade or retractable chain that can be used to entangle are great hooks.

For a brawler I always thought it should have only room for one in the pilots compartment and it should be heavily reinforced so that if robot is thrown to the ground the pilot will not be harmed. You can even say something like half penalties from impacts or falls.

Great looking bot hope this helps.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Warshield73 wrote:I like it and be kind to yourself because your artwork is ten times better than anything I can do. Personally I love the idea of robots that can go hand to hand with monsters but the new Titan Robotics book has the monster Killer but truthfully this is an...uninspiring design that really doesn't have a hook to get players to notice it. So there is definitely some room for a real brawler, I have a few notes though.

If this is supposed to be for CQB with monsters dump the ion or laser weapons you don't need both. Personally I would put a small laser turret on top of each rail gun to give you a full 360 area of fire, 2D6 or 3D6 each is pretty reasonable and you really only need one energy weapon when your going against creatures that where many of them are energy resistant or can be with magic.

The vehicle you made is 20 ft tall and the mini-missile launcher is huge. Comparable robots can have 20 - 40 so you should be able to do 24 or 28 and still be under powered compared to NG or CS models.

You may also want to add some built in blades on the back, shoulders, elbows and give it some special maneuvers like rotating its waist to throw an opponent or build in some blades or better yet put heavy neural mace like devices built into the fists so when it punches it delivers a penalty to some creatures. Built in weapons in the arm like a blade or retractable chain that can be used to entangle are great hooks.

For a brawler I always thought it should have only room for one in the pilots compartment and it should be heavily reinforced so that if robot is thrown to the ground the pilot will not be harmed. You can even say something like half penalties from impacts or falls.

Great looking bot hope this helps.

hey, sorry i took a while to reply.

i decided i agree with you on the missile payload, i thought it hadn't left enough space in the cockpit to accomodate a larger magazine but the way the seats are arranged leaves enough room so i kicked it up to 24.

the weapons are there for covering two different issues, with the ion cannon for dispersing normal infantry and the lasers for repelling enemies that might swarm the robot to restrict its arms. so those i left in place. i also realized i didn't update WHY the railguns don't rotate 360 (the head and stuff is in the way, so they stop as a safety feature) and stuck that in so it made more sense.

i didn't add melee weapons because the hands ARE the melee weapons. i wanted to focus the robot on trying to get a hold on a deamon's arm/wing/head and start doing 3D6x10 tearing it off damage instead of punching it.

thanks for the input!
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

I wanted to cook up a new Titan Robot. too bad my art skills (and scanner) aren't up to snuff for this sorta thing but it gets the idea across.

EPIC LOVE THIS !!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Ok, as i'm too little of a klutz and lazy bastard to actually draw, instead tried a bit of dirty editing of Long's Titan 'bots based on Orin's sketch.

Titan Close Assault Robot, "Chipwell Bandito" Model

Nothing too fancy - a cheap model where admitedly took some liberties & cut corners at spots (ergo the nickname :wink: ) - but hope it gives a rough jumpstart for more attentive and talented people who are up to doing more faithful portrayals of Orin's sketch and description.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Orin J. wrote:i didn't add melee weapons because the hands ARE the melee weapons. i wanted to focus the robot on trying to get a hold on a deamon's arm/wing/head and start doing 3D6x10 tearing it off damage instead of punching it.

thanks for the input!

While the hands are the weapons is valid, giving it other melee attack capabilities might also be warranted.

Putting Spikes/blades on the body could discourage attackers from doing certain attacks on the bot or open up new attack options (in 1E RT the Zarian Male Power Armor variant PB created had a saw in its chest that would shred things in a bear hug maneuver).

Melee Weapons could also increase the REACH of the unit. Blade/Spikes are also going to be more painful. Blade/Spikes allow for material weakness to be easily exploited (if the creature has any) and changed out for the mission.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

SolCannibal wrote:Ok, as i'm too little of a klutz and lazy bastard to actually draw, instead tried a bit of dirty editing of Long's Titan 'bots based on Orin's sketch.

Nothing too fancy - a cheap model where admitedly took some liberties & cut corners at spots (ergo the nickname :wink: ) - but hope it gives a rough jumpstart for more attentive and talented people who are up to doing more faithful portrayals of Orin's sketch and description.

Image doesn't seem to want to load/display.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Ok, as i'm too little of a klutz and lazy bastard to actually draw, instead tried a bit of dirty editing of Long's Titan 'bots based on Orin's sketch.

Weird, try this one now.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

taalismn wrote:

Just wanted to say it's working fine for me. man i like long's design style.
SolCannibal
Champion

Orin J. wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Just wanted to say it's working fine for me. man i like long's design style.

Well, no better place to start than the beginning, eh?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Orin J. wrote:i didn't add melee weapons because the hands ARE the melee weapons. i wanted to focus the robot on trying to get a hold on a deamon's arm/wing/head and start doing 3D6x10 tearing it off damage instead of punching it.

thanks for the input!

While the hands are the weapons is valid, giving it other melee attack capabilities might also be warranted.

Putting Spikes/blades on the body could discourage attackers from doing certain attacks on the bot or open up new attack options (in 1E RT the Zarian Male Power Armor variant PB created had a saw in its chest that would shred things in a bear hug maneuver).

Melee Weapons could also increase the REACH of the unit. Blade/Spikes are also going to be more painful. Blade/Spikes allow for material weakness to be easily exploited (if the creature has any) and changed out for the mission.

I understand the idea of the hands as weapons but if your intended opponents are going to be supernatural strength they will almost always outclass you in damage. Technology should be able to even that up a little.

In general though I have been on a tear about Rifts vehicles having too many weapons. Primary weapon, secondary weapon turret for defense, missile system(s) that can include smart and/or guided and/or mini-missiles. I like the look of this bot but to me with its railguns, mini-missiles and sensor tower it seems built more for medium range combatant (1,000 feet to 1 mile) than CQB.

Still a great design.
Orin J. wrote:Just wanted to say it's working fine for me. man i like long's design style.

Yeah love Long's original work, he set the style for a lot of the old Rifts designs, especially a the old CS.

Only person I miss as much as Long is Breaux.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Rifts®”