battles between Demi-Gods

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

battles between Demi-Gods

Unread post by Axelmania »

consulting DB2 (Pantheons of the Megaverse) there's a note on pg 9 "Battles Between Gods" continued on pg 10 which specifies a clash between them has a 40% chance of creating a dimensional rift AND a ley line storm at every single nexus point within 100 miles of the fight... increased to 75% if within 1 mile.

Pg 6-9 "General Types of Gods" includes not only "Gods" but also "Supreme Beings", "Powerful Supernatural Beings", "Godlings", "Demigods", "Minions of the Gods", and "Alien Intelligences" ..

I expect the 40% chance is only for full-out "gods" (though given that AIs are often stronger, it might make sense to use for them too, particularly since some have deific powers in the "Dragons and Gods" sourcebook which came later. Perhaps even including Greater Elementals and Greater Demon Lords?)

How different and interesting would Rifts Earth be if it applied to more things in GTOG? Godling v Godling or Demigod v Demigod? Tauton v Ramen? Mindolar vs Goqua?

Perhaps one of the major reasons such battles happen rarely is many would be apprehensive about what dangers would be unleashed by dozens (hundreds) of random rifts/storms (not sure how many nexuses exist on average per square mile on Rifts Earth... but a 100 mile radius circle is ~31,415.93 square miles.

Not only can ley line storms really mess with supernatural beings, but random rifts might bring in a bigger threat, or attract some already-present supernatural being to interfere as a 3rd party in the battle? Perhaps that's why they rarely team up, spread out, or only work with lesser minions?

Pg 10 only says this happens in Rifts and Beyond the Supernatural, though I don't see why it wouldn't apply to other worlds too. Is BTS supposed to have higher magic than Nightbane or Palladium or HU? I figure those 3 worlds would at least be on par, if not stronger.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: battles between Demi-Gods

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:consulting DB2 (Pantheons of the Megaverse) there's a note on pg 9 "Battles Between Gods" continued on pg 10 which specifies a clash between them has a 40% chance of creating a dimensional rift AND a ley line storm at every single nexus point within 100 miles of the fight... increased to 75% if within 1 mile.

Pg 6-9 "General Types of Gods" includes not only "Gods" but also "Supreme Beings", "Powerful Supernatural Beings", "Godlings", "Demigods", "Minions of the Gods", and "Alien Intelligences" ..

I expect the 40% chance is only for full-out "gods" (though given that AIs are often stronger, it might make sense to use for them too, particularly since some have deific powers in the "Dragons and Gods" sourcebook which came later. Perhaps even including Greater Elementals and Greater Demon Lords?)

How different and interesting would Rifts Earth be if it applied to more things in GTOG? Godling v Godling or Demigod v Demigod? Tauton v Ramen? Mindolar vs Goqua?

Perhaps one of the major reasons such battles happen rarely is many would be apprehensive about what dangers would be unleashed by dozens (hundreds) of random rifts/storms (not sure how many nexuses exist on average per square mile on Rifts Earth... but a 100 mile radius circle is ~31,415.93 square miles.

Not only can ley line storms really mess with supernatural beings, but random rifts might bring in a bigger threat, or attract some already-present supernatural being to interfere as a 3rd party in the battle? Perhaps that's why they rarely team up, spread out, or only work with lesser minions?

Pg 10 only says this happens in Rifts and Beyond the Supernatural, though I don't see why it wouldn't apply to other worlds too. Is BTS supposed to have higher magic than Nightbane or Palladium or HU? I figure those 3 worlds would at least be on par, if not stronger.

Magic Level and Dimensional Stability are related but not synonomus. Palladium Fantasy has a reasonable Mana level but relatively stable dimensional fabric, same with Nightbane.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

DB7, p 66 says "Heroes Unlimited Earth" (literally what King Creed of Tolkeen is instructed to call the dimension...) is -5% to go to, which I guess would mean more stable than Palladium (65) or Wormwood (63) which have no penalty. Maybe it would make sense to apply the % chances listed for dimensions to % chances of random rifts or ley line storms happening?

Unfortunately I can't remember if there were any fabric guidelines for Nightbane or BTS in DB7, maybe they got overlooked?

61 has something interesting I hadn't noticed before for Rifts Earth:
    +20% bonus to Dimensional Teleport
    to connecting dimensions
    and
    at nexus points

Now would that mean if you're at a nexus AND targetting a "connecting" dimension (whatever that means... has at least 1 rift open to it? Not sure how else to interpret that) that you would be +40%?

Pg 9 says you roll 1D4x5% at ANY POINT IN TIME (ie it is not a fixed bonus) for "Weak Dimensional Fabric" places like Rifts Earth (this applies both when entering and exiting) so it seems like when you stack it with the exit-specific bonuses you get on pg 61 that you'll actually get between +25% and +40% when leaving from a nexus (or when leaving to a connecting dimension NOT from a nexus) or between +45% and +60% if leaving from a nexus to a connecting dimension.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Axelmania wrote:consulting DB2 (Pantheons of the Megaverse) there's a note on pg 9 "Battles Between Gods" continued on pg 10 which specifies a clash between them has a 40% chance of creating a dimensional rift AND a ley line storm at every single nexus point within 100 miles of the fight... increased to 75% if within 1 mile.

Well, it might relate to the fact they are either very close parallel earths or the same dimension in different eras, but overall using it or not for other worlds and how would be a matter of GM judgement i guess.

But that is some pretty interesting stuff to munch upon indeed. There's the whole question of to which types that kind of "magic backlash" would apply and to what degree. Beside giving quite the incentive/justification for most benign deities to act by mortal proxy instead of taking a hands-on approach to dealing with supernatural intrusions. I also ask myself how dragons, vampire intelligences, greater sphynx or other critters in a similar tier of power would fit in or not.

Return to “Rifts®”