RIFTS The Philippines?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stairs at the sun
D-Bee

RIFTS The Philippines?

Unread post by Stairs at the sun »

Are there any books that talk about what's going on in the Philippines on riffs earth? If anybody could I direct me to the correct book that would be awesome thank you.
kaid
Knight

Re: RIFTS The Philippines?

Unread post by kaid »

Honestly with the sea level rise and tsunamis I am not sure what if anything would be left of the philippines. I don't know that area has ever been talked about much. Rifts aftermath may have some info otherwise maybe lemuria which does at least talk in passing about some stuff in that area.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Stairs at the sun wrote:Are there any books that talk about what's going on in the Philippines on riffs earth? If anybody could I direct me to the correct book that would be awesome thank you.

Rifts World Book 8: Japan (pg26). Basically more than 1/2 the islands are underwater, and those that remain have shrunk. The GC wiped out over 99% of the population, and those survivors didn't last long.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Stairs at the sun wrote:Are there any books that talk about what's going on in the Philippines on riffs earth? If anybody could I direct me to the correct book that would be awesome thank you.

Rifts World Book 8: Japan (pg26). Basically more than 1/2 the islands are underwater, and those that remain have shrunk. The GC wiped out over 99% of the population, and those survivors didn't last long.

I had forgotten it was talked about in japan book but that is about as expected. Most of those areas of indonesia/philippines and the various other island nations in that region would gotten basically stomped flat. Basically just the upper part of various mountains/volcanos that were high enough to escape the rise in sea level and a big enough natural obstacle to block the direct blast of tsunamis.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

And what remains is probably pretty well infested with Horune and Lord of the Deep cults. :evil:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stairs at the sun
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:

Thank you I guess I'll just make up my own stuff
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

On the subject of changed sea levels in Rifts Earth submerging places, i would mention Madhaven as a pointed canon example of the issue being handwaved in quite cavalier manner for the sake of a narrative/convenience. So i would say as much of the archipelago still exists as is convenient to the GM.

While no one book addresses the particular area i would suggest, as others already have done, looking into worldbooks that touch on the Southeast Asia/Pacific sphere, like Japan, China 1-2, Underseas & Lemuria (Australia, South America 1 & 2, Mystic Russia &/or Canada if you want to stretch things a bit) for both forgotten tidbits of lore, immigrants & subplots to "crosspolinate" into your own version of the Phillippines.

I would also reccomend as secondary reads the Conversion Book 1 & 2, Sourcebooks 1 & 2 and Worldbooks 1-4, as they would be peppered with random bits of lore/rumour on parts of the world not explored in any one particular worldbook through data on D-Bees, monsters and other entities. I know for sure the Demonic Cannibals of WB4 and Death Weaver Spider demons from WB1 & CB1 have a presence in India and other parts of Asia.

edit: straight from Rifts: Japan "They (Oni of the One Hundred) have also been known to visit surrounding islands, as far as the Philippines."

Finally, if you feel in the mood to go a bit of the beaten path to develop your take on the region, try a Google search for filipino fantasy & sci-fi writers for some material & color (i try to use 1-3 of each when making up my "rifts versions" of a place in this manner). How reflective any one writer or its works will or will not be of their nationality in any one particular manner, no idea whatsoever as pop culture can influence people everywhere, to a sometimes confusing level, that's for you to find out if you care to.
But it's a good guess you'll get a mix of pieces more fresh and peculiar than just filching old tropes & folklore like Rifts: England for example. :wink:
Last edited by SolCannibal on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

SolCannibal wrote:On the subject of changed sea levels in Rifts Earth submerging places, i would mention Madhaven as a pointed canon example of the issue being handwaved in quite cavalier manner for the sake of a narrative/convenience. So i would say as much of the archipelago still exists as is convenient to the GM.

While no one book addresses the particular area i would suggest, as others already have done, looking into worldbooks that touch on the Southeast Asia/Pacific sphere, like Japan, China 1-2, Underseas, Lemuria (Australia, South America 1 & 2, Mystic Russia &/or Canada if you want to stretch things a bit) for both forgotten tidbits of lore and fun stuff/immigrants to "crosspolinate" into your own version of the Phillippines.

I would also reccomend as secondary reads the Conversion Book 1 & 2, Sourcebooks 1 & 2 and Worldbooks 1-4, as they would be peppered with random bits of lore/rumour on parts of the world not explored in any one particular worldbook through data on D-Bees, monsters and other entities.

Finally, if you feel in the mood to go a bit of the beaten path to develop your take on the region, try looking for filipino fantasy & sci-fi writers for some color (i try to use 1-3 of each when making up my "rifts versions" of a place in this manner). Not saying these writers or their works will or will not reflect their nationality in any one particular manner, but it's a good guess you'll get a combination of parts more peculiar than just filching old tropes & folklore like England for example. :wink:

I think the biggest issue if there is land that has anything left to bother with it is pretty much smack in the lord of the deep territorial range so it would likely be really dangerous.
SolCannibal
Champion

kaid wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:On the subject of changed sea levels in Rifts Earth submerging places, i would mention Madhaven as a pointed canon example of the issue being handwaved in quite cavalier manner for the sake of a narrative/convenience. So i would say as much of the archipelago still exists as is convenient to the GM.

While no one book addresses the particular area i would suggest, as others already have done, looking into worldbooks that touch on the Southeast Asia/Pacific sphere, like Japan, China 1-2, Underseas, Lemuria (Australia, South America 1 & 2, Mystic Russia &/or Canada if you want to stretch things a bit) for both forgotten tidbits of lore and fun stuff/immigrants to "crosspolinate" into your own version of the Phillippines.

I would also reccomend as secondary reads the Conversion Book 1 & 2, Sourcebooks 1 & 2 and Worldbooks 1-4, as they would be peppered with random bits of lore/rumour on parts of the world not explored in any one particular worldbook through data on D-Bees, monsters and other entities.

Finally, if you feel in the mood to go a bit of the beaten path to develop your take on the region, try looking for filipino fantasy & sci-fi writers for some color (i try to use 1-3 of each when making up my "rifts versions" of a place in this manner). Not saying these writers or their works will or will not reflect their nationality in any one particular manner, but it's a good guess you'll get a combination of parts more peculiar than just filching old tropes & folklore like England for example. :wink:

I think the biggest issue if there is land that has anything left to bother with it is pretty much smack in the lord of the deep territorial range so it would likely be really dangerous.

1 - Many of the isles volcanic, what means they could actually rise instead of submerge depending on geological activity and plate tectonic shenanigans.

2 - Manhattan should be under a few metres of water by that account. And yet Madhaven is canon and has a whole book, ergo, it's a plot device, not a law, applicable or not according to individual writer/GM convenience. That. Simple.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue May 31, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolCannibal
Champion

Stairs, out of curiosity, what inspired you to pick the Philippines as a place to do Rifts adventures on? Would like to hear of what you had in mind.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

We should have had an Oceana book a long time ago, but thats life.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
SolCannibal
Champion

Shorty Lickens wrote:We should have had an Oceana book a long time ago, but thats life.

Underseas with its focus in the Pacific over other oceans might be partly considered that perhaps, but that's a ship already sailed (and sunk), i guess.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Not necessarily, R:US2 is due out and I don't remember everything that was in it, but it is focused on the Pacific as well.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:Not necessarily, R:US2 is due out and I don't remember everything that was in it, but it is focused on the Pacific as well.

There will be an Underseas 2 book, I'm getting this right??
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

kaid wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:I had forgotten it was talked about in japan book but that is about as expected. Most of those areas of indonesia/philippines and the various other island nations in that region would gotten basically stomped flat. Basically just the upper part of various mountains/volcanos that were high enough to escape the rise in sea level and a big enough natural obstacle to block the direct blast of tsunamis.

Pretty much a good movie to reference and ask players to watch how terrible the devastation would be is 2012. Trailer # 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXGrTng0gQ and Trailer # 2. Imo that area would be either underwater or so thoroughly destroyed that almost nothing remains. If it does it would have to be protected by the most strongest and resistant MDC materials that were available before the Rifts. That or short of divine ( either good or evil ) intervention.

I like the second trailer as one can see the Yellowstone Volcano blowing up and the aircraft carrier smashing into the White House. Not so much seeing the White House destroyed. So much as seeing how the landscape is being drastically altered.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
SolCannibal
Champion

Sureshot wrote:
kaid wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:I had forgotten it was talked about in japan book but that is about as expected. Most of those areas of indonesia/philippines and the various other island nations in that region would gotten basically stomped flat. Basically just the upper part of various mountains/volcanos that were high enough to escape the rise in sea level and a big enough natural obstacle to block the direct blast of tsunamis.

Pretty much a good movie to reference and ask players to watch how terrible the devastation would be is 2012. Trailer # 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXGrTng0gQ and Trailer # 2. Imo that area would be either underwater or so thoroughly destroyed that almost nothing remains. If it does it would have to be protected by the most strongest and resistant MDC materials that were available before the Rifts. That or short of divine ( either good or evil ) intervention.

I like the second trailer as one can see the Yellowstone Volcano blowing up and the aircraft carrier smashing into the White House. Not so much seeing the White House destroyed. So much as seeing how the landscape is being drastically altered.

It's a way to deal with it, but i would guess it's not what the OP was interested into when asking for info on the Philippines in Rifts Earth for a game.

And as i pointed out previously, what might have true been during the early Chaos Earth scenario does not exactly apply centuries later, with Madhaven being very much a canon example of - depending on one's prefered view - either the waters receding with the ages or the issue being outright hadwaved/ignored for story sake. Same can apply here.

Also, Malaysia, that should be in the same boat as Indonesia afaik, is cited in a few monster entries in CB1 and the early worldbooks. So if one region isles still exists, so could the other.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue May 31, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sureshot
Champion

It has been awhile since I read the Madhaven book yet unless I'm mistaken part of the reason they survived was because of the goddess Isis divine intervention. Yes one can just ignore what is written in the area and include whatever they want. Yet imo short of divine intervention that area is and likely be completely devastated after the Rifts erupted. If countries like the US, Canada were devastated than the Philippines should be ten times over.

Look at where they are on the map:

https://www.google.com/search?q=philipp ... pqltLgyyVM:

Already a small land mass with many islands surrounded by water on all sides. The Tsunamis alone would have wiped everything living man, animal and even non-living machines off the map. So it is entirely possible something survived. It would have to have been very very tough. In the case of humans deep and I mean deep underground in MDC bunkers or worse pretty much overrun with demons and devils.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
SolCannibal
Champion

Sureshot wrote:It has been awhile since I read the Madhaven book yet unless I'm mistaken part of the reason they survived was because of the goddess Isis divine intervention. Yes one can just ignore what is written in the area and include whatever they want. Yet imo short of divine intervention that area is and likely be completely devastated after the Rifts erupted. If countries like the US, Canada were devastated than the Philippines should be ten times over.

Pretty sure Isis in the area is a recent arrival, last decade at most, while Madhaven has been inhabitated by mutants for centuries according to the book - in fact, she's not referenced as Katrina Sun? Because that would imply she came to the area after Gathering of Heroes, in 103 PA. Anyway, feel free to correct me if i missed a reference, but "it's there because of the goddess" is not given as explanation AFAIK.

Sureshot wrote:Look at where they are on the map:

https://www.google.com/search?q=philipp ... pqltLgyyVM:

Already a small land mass with many islands surrounded by water on all sides. The Tsunamis alone would have wiped everything living man, animal and even non-living machines off the map. So it is entirely possible something survived. It would have to have been very very tough. In the case of humans deep and I mean deep underground in MDC bunkers or worse pretty much overrun with demons and devils.

A number of those isles are volcanic. what means that with geological upheaval some of those could disappear indeed, or in the opposite vein, grow higher and larger. Also, the maps we do get of current Rifts Earth do seem to imply that sea level possibly receded in the centuries after the initial devastation of Rifts Earth.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue May 31, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sureshot
Champion

SolCannibal wrote:A number of those isles are volcanic. what means that with geological upheaval some of those could disappear indeed, or in the opposite vein, grow higher and larger. Also, the maps we do get of current Rifts Earth do seem to imply that sea level possibly receded in the centuries after the initial devastation of Rifts Earth.

That is right I forgot about the Ring of Fire and the general tectonic nature of the area. Either way anything Pre-Rifts short of being very durable and tough is going to get obliterated imo. Tsunamis, Earthquakes either we have a new set of islands or large land mass or they imo would be wiped out. Even if the water does recede that area would be in a pitiful state imo.

Enlightened Grognard

Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

Some basic investigation of the Topography of the Philippines indicates that Tsunami, while they are going to be devastating, will not 'wipe the place clean' unless they are well over a kilometre high. Bukidnon, one of the more popular provinces, and the countries bread-basket, averages over 900m above sea-level and has mountainous points up above 2000m. So that serves as one likely retreat place for the population.

With Rifts, the bigger question is of course; what mystical otherworldly forces congregate there, and what was the geopolitical situation of the country like at the time. Where did they sit in the geo-political axis of the pre-rifts world(which is still kind of up and the air and not entirely thought out). I, as usual, try to go with what's most interesting. So knowing what we do know, I would propose a diverse set of Island Kingdoms; perhaps a population surviving in Bukidnon from pre-rifts time that has integrated magic into their tech remnant. A host of islands with a variety of trade relationships with surrounding powers; deeply connected to Lemuria and the trade networks of the Pacific, but even more-so with the eclectic states of East and Southern Asia. Now we don't know much about India, so plenty of options there, but I would suggest massive trade networks across the Indian Ocean; Piracy of the mundane and Mystical variety. Extensive attempts at trade with the various Japanese States, etc. So you would have an island ruled by Demons, one by some Other-worldly power, another by Human Mystics, another by a fractured God-Cult, etc.

The Rifts line failure to really define a majority of the world has been a bit of a hindrance; In essence, you have pretty free reign.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
SolCannibal
Champion

Wise_Owl wrote:Some basic investigation of the Topography of the Philippines indicates that Tsunami, while they are going to be devastating, will not 'wipe the place clean' unless they are well over a kilometre high. Bukidnon, one of the more popular provinces, and the countries bread-basket, averages over 900m above sea-level and has mountainous points up above 2000m. So that serves as one likely retreat place for the population.

People can be sometimes a little too quick to throw the "it's under the sea now, forget it" answer without really looking into it - and ignoring how the canon books themselves ignore the idea of increased sea levels most of the time.

Wise_Owl wrote:With Rifts, the bigger question is of course; what mystical otherworldly forces congregate there, and what was the geopolitical situation of the country like at the time. Where did they sit in the geo-political axis of the pre-rifts world(which is still kind of up and the air and not entirely thought out). I, as usual, try to go with what's most interesting. So knowing what we do know, I would propose a diverse set of Island Kingdoms; perhaps a population surviving in Bukidnon from pre-rifts time that has integrated magic into their tech remnant. A host of islands with a variety of trade relationships with surrounding powers; deeply connected to Lemuria and the trade networks of the Pacific, but even more-so with the eclectic states of East and Southern Asia. Now we don't know much about India, so plenty of options there, but I would suggest massive trade networks across the Indian Ocean; Piracy of the mundane and Mystical variety. Extensive attempts at trade with the various Japanese States, etc. So you would have an island ruled by Demons, one by some Other-worldly power, another by Human Mystics, another by a fractured God-Cult, etc.

Yes, i'm very much in favor of the "take bits and pieces from worldbooks geographically closest, shake up and throw some random extras for a twist" school of homebrewing. Also like to grab some fantasy/sci-fi writers from the "target nation" for stuff to mine that is not straight from Palladium books or local folklore (some of the worldbooks do plenty of that already).

Wise_Owl wrote:The Rifts line failure to really define a majority of the world has been a bit of a hindrance; In essence, you have pretty free reign.

Personally i always treated it as more of a feature than a bug. Lots of room to set up your own stuff, while having enough of a setting base to serve as a ballpark of sorts to how far to go with some of your stuff.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

SolCannibal wrote:
kaid wrote:

1 - Many of the isles volcanic, what means they could actually rise instead of submerge depending on geological activity and plate tectonic shenanigans.

2 - Manhattan should be under a few metres of water by that account. And yet Madhaven is canon and has a whole book, ergo, it's a plot device, not a law, applicable or not according to individual writer/GM convenience. That. Simple.

Madhaven explicitly states that it was thrown upwards by tectonic upheaval, though, not handwavium. it now sits hudreds of feet higher than it did pre caraclysm
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
SolCannibal
Champion

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
kaid wrote:

Madhaven explicitly states that it was thrown upwards by tectonic upheaval, though, not handwavium. it now sits hudreds of feet higher than it did pre caraclysm

Good to know they do give an explanation. That said, still a mcguffin "just roll with it" explanation. If it works for the Manhattan could even more so for the Phillipines or the Caribbean, places with actual noteworthy degrees of tectonic or volcanic activity.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Go for 'nearly unrecognizable geographically'....Dimensional Rifts +Tectonic Activity? SERIOUS re-landscaping.
Maybe some Earth and Fire Elementals established a temporary foothold in the place, made themselves a playground or a base of power, then left(or went into dormancy when the ley line storms died down), leaving behind a landscape that's been gradually reclaimed by the jungle, but still has features that normally have no business existing in a realm of conventional geological processes.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

taalismn wrote:Go for 'nearly unrecognizable geographically'....Dimensional Rifts +Tectonic Activity? SERIOUS re-landscaping.
Maybe some Earth and Fire Elementals established a temporary foothold in the place, made themselves a playground or a base of power, then left(or went into dormancy when the ley line storms died down), leaving behind a landscape that's been gradually reclaimed by the jungle, but still has features that normally have no business existing in a realm of conventional geological processes.

I think there was something in Rifter Zero about how the Rifts have actually changed the geography and geology. I have never really given much thought to this, I just put stuff where I wanted it and flooded where I wanted. I mean there are elves in the Amazon so...why not.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Stairs at the sun
D-Bee

SolCannibal wrote:Stairs, out of curiosity, what inspired you to pick the Philippines as a place to do Rifts adventures on? Would like to hear of what you had in mind.

My so who is 12 wanted to start playing RIFTS with me witch I thought was a great idea and so I started thinking of story/plot ideas for him and I thought it would be cool to do a pirate adventure like pirates of dark water (if anyone other than me rememberers that show) but not e exactly
Stairs at the sun
D-Bee

Personally i always treated it as more of a feature than a bug. Lots of room to set up your own stuff, while having enough of a setting base to serve as a ballpark of sorts to how far to go with some of your stuff.[/quote]

Yes this is the way I see it it’s not a mistake it’s for us to create. I just like to know what has actually been written before I start making up my own stuff
SolCannibal
Champion

Stairs at the sun wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Stairs, out of curiosity, what inspired you to pick the Philippines as a place to do Rifts adventures on? Would like to hear of what you had in mind.

My so who is 12 wanted to start playing RIFTS with me witch I thought was a great idea and so I started thinking of story/plot ideas for him and I thought it would be cool to do a pirate adventure like pirates of dark water (if anyone other than me rememberers that show) but not exactly

Oh, yeah, most certainly do.

Stairs at the sun wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Personally i always treated it as more of a feature than a bug. Lots of room to set up your own stuff, while having enough of a setting base to serve as a ballpark of sorts to how far to go with some of your stuff.

Yes this is the way I see it it’s not a mistake it’s for us to create. I just like to know what has actually been written before I start making up my own stuff

Anyway. Back on the subject of stuff written in previous books to possibly mine in making your own take of the region.

- Rifts: Japan has the "They (Oni of the One Hundred) have also been known to visit surrounding islands, as far as the Philippines." sentence. So one can expect them to sometimes come to the region to raid or even have enclaves of their own in the archipelago.

- Japan, China 1-2, Underseas & Lemuria may offer both forgotten tidbits of lore, immigrants & subplots to "crosspolinate" into your own take of the region. Stretch things a bit - but not even much compared to real life examples of human migration such as the history of Alaska, Easter Island or a nummber of polynesian nations - Australia, South America 1 & 2, Mystic Russia &/or Canada might be considered for extra sources.

- Conversion Book 1 & 2, Sourcebooks 1 & 2 and Worldbooks 1-4 may be useful secondary reads as their data on D-Bees, monsters and other entities is peppered with random bits of lore/rumour on parts of the world not explored in any one particular worldbook. For just one example, I know for sure the Demonic Cannibals of WB4 and Death Weaver Spider demons from WB1 & CB1 have a presence in India and other parts of Asia (that may include the Phillipines).

- Also, Sourcebook One, page 16, has a curious "wildlife" section, that might be more appropriatelly titled "where might a bunch of Palladium animals & monsters ported via Rift better adapt and thrive". While it's oriented for the Americas, i would guess porting anything that might work in south or central america to the Pacific, if one feels like it, would not be too much of a sin.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue May 31, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stairs at the sun
D-Bee

SolCannibal wrote:
Stairs at the sun wrote:

My so who is 12 wanted to start playing RIFTS with me witch I thought was a great idea and so I started thinking of story/plot ideas for him and I thought it would be cool to do a pirate adventure like pirates of dark water (if anyone other than me rememberers that show) but not exactly

Oh, yeah, most certainly do.

Stairs at the sun wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Personally i always treated it as more of a feature than a bug. Lots of room to set up your own stuff, while having enough of a setting base to serve as a ballpark of sorts to how far to go with some of your stuff.

Anyway. Back on the subject of written before to possibly mine in making your own.

- Rifts: Japan has the "They (Oni of the One Hundred) have also been known to visit surrounding islands, as far as the Philippines." sentence. So one can expect them to sometimes come to the region to raid or even have enclaves of their own in the archipelago.

- Japan, China 1-2, Underseas & Lemuria may offer both forgotten tidbits of lore, immigrants & subplots to "crosspolinate" into your own take of the region. Stretch things a bit - but not even much compared to real life examples of human migration such ass the history of Alaska, Easter Island or a nummber of polynesian nations - Australia, South America 1 & 2, Mystic Russia &/or Canada might be considered for extra sources.

- Conversion Book 1 & 2, Sourcebooks 1 & 2 and Worldbooks 1-4 may be useful secondary reads as their data on D-Bees, monsters and other entities is peppered with random bits of lore/rumour on parts of the world not explored in any one particular worldbook. For just one example, I know for sure the Demonic Cannibals of WB4 and Death Weaver Spider demons from WB1 & CB1 have a presence in India and other parts of Asia (that may include the Phillipines).

- Also, Sourcebook One, page 16, has a curious "wildlife" section, that might be more appropriatelly titled "where might a bunch of Palladium animals & monsters ported via Rift better adapt and thrive". While it's oriented for the Americas, i would guess porting anything that might work in south or central america to the Pacific, if one feels like it, would not be too much of a sin.

Thank you , I only own like 3 or 4 of the books you mentioned, but thank you all the same. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject. I ended up starting a Russia game for him and 2 of his friends. If you are on Facebook you should join my RIFTS group. I don’t know how to post links or I would do so

Return to “Rifts®”