Dual Casting

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Dual Casting

Unread post by rem1093 »

Are there any rules on duel casting? I'm asking because we are starting a new game soon and one of our players wants to play a Sword Mage. And we are updating the the OCC.
Again sorry about the other post Topic.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Re: Dual Casting

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Godling RCC, pick Magic Twice, you can get two different forms of magic,
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Godling RCC, pick Magic Twice, you can get two different forms of magic,

I mean as casting two spells at the same time.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

rem1093 wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Godling RCC, pick Magic Twice, you can get two different forms of magic,

You can have multiple spells in effect, but you can not cast them simultaneously.

Your Options then become:
1. Cast them separately
2. House Rule (or create Spells that are combos of existing spells, but that still gets in House Rule territory for all practical purposes)
3. Get a Symbiote that can cast magic, it could then go simultaneously with the host theoretically
4. Techno-Wizard Device (or Eco-Wizard), they do it all the time due to spell chains which is a function of the device
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
rem1093 wrote:

You can have multiple spells in effect, but you can not cast them simultaneously.

Your Options then become:
1. Cast them separately
2. House Rule (or create Spells that are combos of existing spells, but that still gets in House Rule territory for all practical purposes)
3. Get a Symbiote that can cast magic, it could then go simultaneously with the host theoretically
4. Techno-Wizard Device (or Eco-Wizard), they do it all the time due to spell chains which is a function of the device

Was looking at casting the same spell twice. Ill have to house rule it and sense the OCC has it own HTH I was thinking of adding it to that. Something like, at level 3 they gain the ability to cast the same spell twice in one action, but only blade spells.
If anybody is wondering the Blade Mage is in Rifter 23.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rats. I really wanted to talk about duel casting. :(

Spoiler:
:P
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

rem1093 wrote:

No mechanic for this exists in Palladium, the GM would have to homebrew something.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Unless a race actually had the ability to truly multitask mentally AND to speak through two different sources independently (perhaps through multiple heads), I don't see how this can even be a thing given how Palladium spell casting works.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that you can't do whatever you wish at your table, just pointing out that I didn't see it working within the established conventions of spell-casting and how magic works for the canon setting.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Dosen't the battle magus in the federation of magic get like a paired weapon magic blasts or something to that effect?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I could see something like a special mage prepping two low level spells, holding them, then releasing them at the right moment. But I wouldn’t allow any other spells to be cast in the interim.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Luvia wrote:Dosen't the battle magus in the federation of magic get like a paired weapon magic blasts or something to that effect?

No, They get Quick Draw and Sharpshooting specalties and paired weapons similar to the Gunslinger/Gunfighters in New West which does included Paired weapons, but the paired weapons specifically says that it does not apply if Magic spell attacks if Magic blasts were chosen as the quickdraw/sharpshooting specalty. They do still get the init and strike bonus's, but not paired weapons explictly.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

dreicunan wrote:Unless a race actually had the ability to truly multitask mentally AND to speak through two different sources independently (perhaps through multiple heads), I don't see how this can even be a thing given how Palladium spell casting works.

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that you can't do whatever you wish at your table, just pointing out that I didn't see it working within the established conventions of spell-casting and how magic works for the canon setting.

I thought of that, and it should work if it is the same spell. Think about it your are already going though the the incantations you pump in enough power to double the effect. Instead of one fireball, you get two. Or in the case of this OCC, you cast Rippling Blade on not just one but two blades at the same time.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

rem1093 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:Unless a race actually had the ability to truly multitask mentally AND to speak through two different sources independently (perhaps through multiple heads), I don't see how this can even be a thing given how Palladium spell casting works.

I thought of that, and it should work if it is the same spell. Think about it your are already going though the the incantations you pump in enough power to double the effect. Instead of one fireball, you get two. Or in the case of this OCC, you cast Rippling Blade on not just one but two blades at the same time.

That not dual casting, that's more like enhanced casting.

There's mechanics for that in at least the Rifter if not canon. Basically pay 50-100% more PPE at casting time for a bigger effect: more fireballs, more damage, longer duration, more range, etc.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Luvia wrote:Dosen't the battle magus in the federation of magic get like a paired weapon magic blasts or something to that effect?

No, They get Quick Draw and Sharpshooting specalties and paired weapons similar to the Gunslinger/Gunfighters in New West which does included Paired weapons, but the paired weapons specifically says that it does not apply if Magic spell attacks if Magic blasts were chosen as the quickdraw/sharpshooting specalty. They do still get the init and strike bonus's, but not paired weapons explictly.

Ah fair enough
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Some sort of "delay spell" meta-spell where you could cast a spell but delay it's activation until you've finished casting the 2nd one might be a similar way to do it.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

You could possibly take a look at the optional fast casting option in PFRPG Mysteries of Magic (I don't know whether these already appear in a Rifts book, sorry). You can rush a spell and cast it in half the time - though there may be consequences in doing so (there's a percentile roll). Technically you could say that a spell that normally takes one attack to cast (levels 1-2 in PFRPG, or 1-5 in Rifts) could be done in half an attack, leaving the other half an attack to cast another or the same spell twice. Though personally I would rule that one attack is the minimum needed, but you could use this to suit your needs.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Myrrhibis wrote:
rem1093 wrote:

There's mechanics for that in at least the Rifter if not canon. Basically pay 50-100% more PPE at casting time for a bigger effect: more fireballs, more damage, longer duration, more range, etc.

Do you know what Rifter that is in? Right now we are going to just have the cost double.

Soldier of Od wrote:You could possibly take a look at the optional fast casting option in PFRPG Mysteries of Magic (I don't know whether these already appear in a Rifts book, sorry). You can rush a spell and cast it in half the time - though there may be consequences in doing so (there's a percentile roll). Technically you could say that a spell that normally takes one attack to cast (levels 1-2 in PFRPG, or 1-5 in Rifts) could be done in half an attack, leaving the other half an attack to cast another or the same spell twice. Though personally I would rule that one attack is the minimum needed, but you could use this to suit your needs.

This could work. Since the OCC has its own HTH that says its suppose to incorporate the sword spells, I could put in that at level x you learn how to fast cast the same spell (the same spell on two weapons) and at level y you can fast cast two different low level spells. (two spells on one weapon)
thanks
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

rem1093 wrote:
Myrrhibis wrote:
rem1093 wrote:

Do you know what Rifter that is in? Right now we are going to just have the cost double.

Soldier of Od wrote:You could possibly take a look at the optional fast casting option in PFRPG Mysteries of Magic (I don't know whether these already appear in a Rifts book, sorry). You can rush a spell and cast it in half the time - though there may be consequences in doing so (there's a percentile roll). Technically you could say that a spell that normally takes one attack to cast (levels 1-2 in PFRPG, or 1-5 in Rifts) could be done in half an attack, leaving the other half an attack to cast another or the same spell twice. Though personally I would rule that one attack is the minimum needed, but you could use this to suit your needs.

This could work. Since the OCC has its own HTH that says its suppose to incorporate the sword spells, I could put in that at level x you learn how to fast cast the same spell (the same spell on two weapons) and at level y you can fast cast two different low level spells. (two spells on one weapon)
thanks

Don't have my books handy, but looking at my Drive files, I'd say Rifter 30. I have "new magic skills" pages pulled out from it, along with skill & fighting enhancements.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

Myrrhibis wrote:
rem1093 wrote:
Myrrhibis wrote:
rem1093 wrote:

thanks

Don't have my books handy, but looking at my Drive files, I'd say Rifter 30. I have "new magic skills" pages pulled out from it, along with skill & fighting enhancements.

I'm adding the skills in as part of the HTH. Right now we are finishing up house updating the spells.

Return to “Rifts®”