dropping/falling damage from bread and milk

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

dropping/falling damage from bread and milk

Unread post by Axelmania »

I seem to remember some weight-based damage guidelines for when you drop objects on targets. I was thinking of spells that could create objects for dropping on targets so that you could make them from a high-up aircraft and drop them miles down on targets, and all I could think of was Create Bread and Milk.

Aside from weight, are there any other guidelines to use, like hardness/softness? I'm sure a load of bread dropped from a mile up could probably do some damage but I imagine less than a rock of the same weight since its mass is more spread out and it is spongy so it would cushion the blow somewhat for the target.

CBAM also creates some kind of pitcher for the milk so perhaps that's a better option since pitchers are hard and probably hurt more? I don't know if perhaps it is a glass pitcher and if it would shatter... or maybe it's some kind of magic-rubber pitcher?

I don't think they gave any SDC for the milk-holding pitcher so is it presumably indestructible until you pour the milk and it automatically vanishes?

I was thinking perhaps if you froze the milk then it would be impossible to pour it and then you would be able to keep it within the picture more easily even if it was tumbling around.
DD The Shmey
Explorer

Re: dropping/falling damage from bread and milk

Unread post by DD The Shmey »

This is a joke, right?

A loaf of bread or a pitcher of milk would quickly reach terminal velocity in a few hundred feet. They both would be traveling less than 100mph, which is roughly the speed of a pro baseball pitcher. I would imagine the glass pitcher of milk would inflict 1d4 to 1d6 sdc. The bread, unless we are talking some seriously hard and dense bread, isn't going to do any damage because it is so soft, and would be traveling slower due to its greater surface area relative to its density (more drag).

You would do better with some kind of create water spell. If you are high enough altitude the water will freeze as it falls.

Better yet, forking in our previous discussion on summoning magic, you could summon an elephant to fall from the sky using the Summon and Control Animals spell. That would easily do enough to total an SDC half ton pickup (600 sdc) probably do somewhere around 2d6x100 sdc.

But if you are going to summon things and drop them from the sky, you mind as well be a necromancer and summon a Magot Demon from the sky. Those things are as big as elephants, and they also have 1d4x1000 mdc and can do 2d6x10mdc with their bites, not to mention the petrification beams.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

DD The Shmey wrote:This is a joke, right?

A loaf of bread or a pitcher of milk would quickly reach terminal velocity in a few hundred feet. They both would be traveling less than 100mph, which is roughly the speed of a pro baseball pitcher. I would imagine the glass pitcher of milk would inflict 1d4 to 1d6 sdc. The bread, unless we are talking some seriously hard and dense bread, isn't going to do any damage because it is so soft, and would be traveling slower due to its greater surface area relative to its density (more drag).

You would do better with some kind of create water spell. If you are high enough altitude the water will freeze as it falls.

Better yet, forking in our previous discussion on summoning magic, you could summon an elephant to fall from the sky using the Summon and Control Animals spell. That would easily do enough to total an SDC half ton pickup (600 sdc) probably do somewhere around 2d6x100 sdc.

But if you are going to summon things and drop them from the sky, you mind as well be a necromancer and summon a Magot Demon from the sky. Those things are as big as elephants, and they also have 1d4x1000 mdc and can do 2d6x10mdc with their bites, not to mention the petrification beams.

The correct way to do this is to summon a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias.
Last edited by dreicunan on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

dreicunan wrote:[
The correct way to do this is to sommon a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias.

Oh no, not again.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Axelmania wrote:I seem to remember some weight-based damage guidelines for when you drop objects on targets. I was thinking of spells that could create objects for dropping on targets so that you could make them from a high-up aircraft and drop them miles down on targets, and all I could think of was Create Bread and Milk.

Re: guidelines
RUE pg344-5 under Damage Term subsection Miscellaneous.
RMB pg 35 under Hit Point (???) term subsection for Damage (bottom).

Re: Spells
Elemental or regular Invocations: Create Wood, Create Dirt or Clay, Ice
Elemental of Note: Wall of Clay (or Stone or Thorns or Iron or Ice) actually lists a damage for dropping on someone
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Thanks Logan. Huh... "dropped small objects" apparently do either 1d4 or 1d6 no matter what height they fall from. With "small" undefined, based on "large" being "per 100" I'm going to say anything 99 pounds or under?

I don't see why we couldn't use the "large" formula for small too: just use pounds*3d6/100 and you'll get a result to 2 decimal places even if it's less than 1.

Of course, RUE 345 still doesn't seem to care for density, the 100 pound feather pillow doing the same as the 100 pound weight plate.

I could in theory create lots of bread and tie it into one large 100 pound piece of bread to do the 3d6, but it would not be very dense.

Return to “Rifts®”