undeath to live / turn alive spell

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sohisohi
Explorer

undeath to live / turn alive spell

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Is there a spell that temporarily turns undead alive so they can suffer status effects.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: undeath to live / turn alive spell

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Sohisohi wrote:Is there a spell that temporarily turns undead alive so they can suffer status effects.

doesn't sound familiar at all. i am curious about which status effects you're referring to, though... i'm not sure there's a ton of stuff the undead would be immune to by virtue of being undead in the first place. i guess poisons and such, but it isn't like there's anything about being a zombie or a vampire that would make something immune to the wisps of confusion spell that i'm aware of.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Shark_Force wrote:
Sohisohi wrote:Is there a spell that temporarily turns undead alive so they can suffer status effects.

doesn't sound familiar at all. i am curious about which status effects you're referring to, though... i'm not sure there's a ton of stuff the undead would be immune to by virtue of being undead in the first place. i guess poisons and such, but it isn't like there's anything about being a zombie or a vampire that would make something immune to the wisps of confusion spell that i'm aware of.

Zombies (and Mummies) are undead, things that don't work on them "mental assaults by psychics, magic charms, illusions, sleeps, curses, sickness, paralysis, and other similar attacks also do no damage", "Fearless: Impervious to Horror Factor, phobias, fear magic and most psionics [goes on to list examples]", "impervious to poisons, drugs, disease, heat and cold doesn't need to eat or drink, and has no emotions, desires"- (PF2E pg213). Some of these parts are also included in the Mummy Ritual description.

That is a pretty extensive list when you consider the details of just what would be included.
Sohisohi
Explorer

Allow me to clarify: I remember a game of d20SRD or Modern, maybe even dnd, where a cleric character had a spell which could turn undead "alive" for [time x caster lv]. The spell effectively made them "mortal" for said duration, forcing them to sleep, eat, and breath like any normal person + vulnerability to pervious immunities. In our particular campaign, fighting zombies in a submerged dungeon, we where able to drown a few of them (which would be otherwise not possible). Does such a spell exist in this setting or would I have to go about creating it myself.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No such spell comes to mind.
Voodoolaw
Wanderer

Unread post by Voodoolaw »

I have to wonder if a spell that did this would be more powerful than one made to just sever/block the link or power maintaining the undead state. Temporarily or not. Interesting thought experiment. Depending how it is done, returning the thing to life, even temporarily, seems like pretty powerful magic.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The closest effect is that there are a few necromantic effects that can create the illusion of life to conceal undead.
There is no spell that can actually turn them back alive, or even fake it convincingly. Partly this is because in Palladium resurrection is pretty difficult and thus magical effects tied to that, such as turning the dead to live, are thin on the ground.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Sohisohi
Explorer

Voodoolaw wrote:I have to wonder if a spell that did this would be more powerful than one made to just sever/block the link or power maintaining the undead state. Temporarily or not. Interesting thought experiment. Depending how it is done, returning the thing to life, even temporarily, seems like pretty powerful magic.

Keep in mind, the spell in question doesn't turn them back to being human per-say (hence my use of quotes). It only makes them alive; so a zombie would just be a magically living zombie, with all of it's undead states, but it would lose all the undead related protections. I'll post the spell if I ever find it again.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Sohisohi wrote:
Voodoolaw wrote:I have to wonder if a spell that did this would be more powerful than one made to just sever/block the link or power maintaining the undead state. Temporarily or not. Interesting thought experiment. Depending how it is done, returning the thing to life, even temporarily, seems like pretty powerful magic.

Keep in mind, the spell in question doesn't turn them back to being human per-say (hence my use of quotes). It only makes them alive; so a zombie would just be a magically living zombie, with all of it's undead states, but it would lose all the undead related protections. I'll post the spell if I ever find it again.

Even so that is still some very powerful magic.
Think about what it is doing here... It is literally, if only temporarily, rewriting the state of undeath and overwriting that with a new state.
OR
It is an enchantment/curse that is able to inflict on the Undead a huge range of debuffs for the duration of the magic.

Either way it is some pretty seriously potent magic and not something that is going to be seriously high level if not a SoL and cost a lot of PPE.

In AD&D that sort of thing is par for the course. Their magic can do some pretty powerful stuff and by fifth or sixth level you are dealing with spells that can affect entire country sides or small armies at a go...
In Palladium to do that you usually need a SoL. And even then you often need to amplify it with magical tools, rituals, special skills and the like.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

eliakon wrote:
Sohisohi wrote:

Even so that is still some very powerful magic.
Think about what it is doing here... It is literally, if only temporarily, rewriting the state of undeath and overwriting that with a new state.
OR
It is an enchantment/curse that is able to inflict on the Undead a huge range of debuffs for the duration of the magic.

Either way it is some pretty seriously potent magic and not something that is going to be seriously high level if not a SoL and cost a lot of PPE.

In AD&D that sort of thing is par for the course. Their magic can do some pretty powerful stuff and by fifth or sixth level you are dealing with spells that can affect entire country sides or small armies at a go...
In Palladium to do that you usually need a SoL. And even then you often need to amplify it with magical tools, rituals, special skills and the like.

This seems like a cool "plot device" kind of spell (definitely SoL) that could drive a piece of plot, rather than something characters can just learn. Also, I'd be inclined to make it a massive ritual. It's the kind of thing an adventure is built around: gathering the various people and components needed to inact it; all to give the heroes one chance to turn the tide in a massive battle against an undead horde...I'm seeing a plot form. Thanks!
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sohisohi wrote:Allow me to clarify: I remember a game of d20SRD or Modern, maybe even dnd, where a cleric character had a spell which could turn undead "alive" for [time x caster lv]. The spell effectively made them "mortal" for said duration, forcing them to sleep, eat, and breath like any normal person + vulnerability to pervious immunities. In our particular campaign, fighting zombies in a submerged dungeon, we where able to drown a few of them (which would be otherwise not possible). Does such a spell exist in this setting or would I have to go about creating it myself.

No, but it's sort of pointless because Undead in palladium don't have immunities to most status effects in the first place. They don't need to eat or breath and can't get sick but that's the end of it. All mind effecting status effects and critical hits work just fine.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sohisohi
Explorer

Only posting because I finally found the spell, it's been tormenting me for weeks and I can finally be free of this hell!

The spell I was looking for was: Spark of Life
Similar spell found during search: Gentle Repose
Both are D&D spells, if anyone wants to look up their contents.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”