Glitterboy Animation on Main Page

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Glitterboy Animation on Main Page

Unread post by LostOne »

What is that from? Is that from the video game I never got to play because I didn't have that system? Or is that from something new coming?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Meneliki
D-Bee

Re: Glitterboy Animation on Main Page

Unread post by Meneliki »

i have no idea what (if anything) that's from but i absolutely love it. id love to see more of that sort of thing.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'd love to see an animated series with that level of animation. Assuming the plot is solid. If the plot is weak I wouldn't stick with it. But with all the material, I'm sure they could keep it interesting. :)
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Meneliki
D-Bee

Unread post by Meneliki »

There was a Rifts movie that failed.
There was a Nokia "N-Gage" game that failed.
There was a board game that failed.

Despite the wild success of the actual pen and paper game itself, I'm confused by the failures of everything else.

I'm tempted to make a Rifts character creator/map simulator etc. but I'd rather not be sued by Palladium.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I'm not surprised the N-Gage failed. I know a lot of video gamers, none of them even had an interest in the N-Gage. I have heard the game wasn't bad, but the system bombed hard. If that game was rereleased on a more popular console or smartphones, it might do decently. But I'm sure Nokia has those rights tied up somehow. But Nokia is in the smartphone business, so if they could port it and other N-Gage games to android and iphone they might recoup some losses.

I heard the movie was optioned. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it failed. But that will live or die based on the script and quality of directing. I haven't heard anything other than it was optioned so...

Never heard about the board game, but I'm also not big on board games.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I liked the animation a lot, too. I have only three nitpicking critiques. First, the ammo belt seemed too floppy to me; With a big, stringy loop like that flopping around, it seems like it would catch on something like the arm and get tangled up. Second, we don't see the stabilization/jet system. Third, the weapon grip in the animation is palm-down, while the game diagram's grip is clearly vertical.

Who am I kidding, though? It's a freaking awesome animation.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The 3d model appears to be the same one used for the rifts boardgame figure, but given a high definition treatment. So i would guess the gif was something custom commissioned.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Hotrod wrote:I liked the animation a lot, too. I have only three nitpicking critiques. First, the ammo belt seemed too floppy to me; With a big, stringy loop like that flopping around, it seems like it would catch on something like the arm and get tangled up. Second, we don't see the stabilization/jet system. Third, the weapon grip in the animation is palm-down, while the game diagram's grip is clearly vertical.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The belt is way too floppy, it would be too easy to snag or jam, they shouldn't have that much slack if it is that floppy. I can't even *see* the thrusters, which if you want to give them the benefit of a doubt could be that it is modified with antigrav tech from Naruni or Phase World. A lot of the glitterboys are old, inherited relics that have been rebuilt and customized. Customization could also speak to the change in hand grip. Could also just be artistic license, or maybe it isn't the classic GB10, I haven't compared it to the other models throughout the books. Or the pilot could be an Operator who has put a lot of work into customizing his baby. But the floppy long ammobelt is a problem for me no matter how you sell it.

Also for some reason Palladium is linking directly to the mp4 on the artist's page, not hosting it on their own site. I wonder if the artist was counting on the extra bandwidth and how stable their site is for hosting it, I assume the artist has been paid for the use. I have no clue how much actual traffic Palladium gets to their website.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Hotrod wrote:I liked the animation a lot, too. I have only three nitpicking critiques. First, the ammo belt seemed too floppy to me; With a big, stringy loop like that flopping around, it seems like it would catch on something like the arm and get tangled up.

Too long, yes. Too floppy, yes. Incredibly cool, oh yes.
Seriously though it is too long when you compare it to the original art.

Hotrod wrote:Second, we don't see the stabilization/jet system.

This is my biggest problem with the animation. How much cooler would this be if you saw the ground crack as the anti-sway pylons drive in and thruster flare from recoil thrusters.

I also noticed that the back is completely different and is missing the thrusters so is it a variant and not a G-10?

Hotrod wrote:Third, the weapon grip in the animation is palm-down, while the game diagram's grip is clearly vertical.

I had a problem with this, at first, but after comparing the animation to the original artwork I have to say I like the look of the animation better.

Hotrod wrote:Who am I kidding, though? It's a freaking awesome animation.

Yes it is, I've been waiting to see something like this for 20 years.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Meneliki wrote:There was a Rifts movie that failed.

Despite the wild success of the actual pen and paper game itself, I'm confused by the failures of everything else.

I'm tempted to make a Rifts character creator/map simulator etc. but I'd rather not be sued by Palladium.

There was never a rifts movie there is a license out there to make it but it was never made so it did not fail. It is stuck in a holding pattern. The platform N-gage failed so makes it hard for any game on that platform to succeed.

I would say odds are the animation is not from anything and was made for the page. It is a high detail concept animation, and not likely footage from anything.

Unless the rights for the movie get released they likely can not do an animated show. But some one paid to sit on those rights.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

My understanding is movie options tend to have an expiration date. Usually ten years. Which is why Sony keeps putting out Spider-man movies. If they stop making movies, they'll lose the rights. So eventually Palladium should get those rights back. Then hopefully a company who is more serious about it options it. I'd love to see Netflix get the rights, they greenlight lots of things and have put out some great stuff.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

LostOne wrote:My understanding is movie options tend to have an expiration date. Usually ten years. Which is why Sony keeps putting out Spider-man movies. If they stop making movies, they'll lose the rights. So eventually Palladium should get those rights back. Then hopefully a company who is more serious about it options it. I'd love to see Netflix get the rights, they greenlight lots of things and have put out some great stuff.

Partial right they expire weather you make a movie or not but many times there is an option to renew the movie rights. It is not X years since a movie but X years you have the rights. They keep putting out movies to try and make money not keep the rights. As I understand it the movie company can choose to pay a certain amount to PB to keep the rights for another X years. So as I said some one is paying to keep those rights.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

generally, if a license is making money off the films, it is easier to negotiate an extension/renewal. some of the money from those films goes to the license pwner, which is part of why you license out your properties for movies, TVshows, games ,etc. (and why movies, tvshows, and games are so willing to license their properties to novel companies and comics companies for novelizations and spinoffs.)

if the films completely bomb though it can be harder to convince the license owners to allow you to renew, since they might be able to license the rights to someone else who could earn them money.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Meneliki wrote:There was a Rifts movie that failed.

You forgot the CCG

Also the video game and the CCG didn't fail the respective companies went Tango Uniform. A new video game and/or a new CCG would probably work fine.

The board game didn't fail... it never took off.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Did the animation get taken down or is it just not loading for me at work?
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

The animation is originally from the kickstarter for the board game.

Licenses can be extended/renewed in any number of ways (imagination and stipulations in the original agreement are pretty much the limit). Often, a contract will stipulate that a studio will lose rights if they do not make something with them. Thus you may see a studio issue a pilot, or some other garbage, just to hold on to the rights (as provided for in the contract). In this case, while we of course don't know the terms, my guess is that Disney simply pays some fee every time the license is about to expire to maintain the existing relationship.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

It is not from Promise of Power. It is not from a "failed" movie. It is not originally from any Kickstarter, though maybe they used it on a promotional page that I wasn't aware of.

No, I cannot actually say what it is from. Boo and hiss if you must, but doing so would violate my NDA. Brings a smile to my face that others are finally getting to see it, though.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Warwolf wrote:It is not from Promise of Power. It is not from a "failed" movie. It is not originally from any Kickstarter, though maybe they used it on a promotional page that I wasn't aware of.

No, I cannot actually say what it is from. Boo and hiss if you must, but doing so would violate my NDA. Brings a smile to my face that others are finally getting to see it, though.

You can still see it used in the video here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... n=d9276b98
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jorick wrote:
Warwolf wrote:It is not from Promise of Power. It is not from a "failed" movie. It is not originally from any Kickstarter, though maybe they used it on a promotional page that I wasn't aware of.

You can still see it used in the video here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... n=d9276b98

Yes, but it's not originally from there, if I recall correctly.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Jorick wrote:

Yes, but it's not originally from there, if I recall correctly.

My conclusion from Warwolf's post is that it was made for a secret project, and then used for the board game kickstarter (as Warwolf says, they used it for promotion he wasn't aware of). Apparently we're not allowed to know what the secret project is, and as far as I can tell, the first public appearance of that footage is from the board game kickstarter. I certainly hadn't seen it before, and was excited when it appeared on the kickstarter. I imagine aside from Palladium employees and Warwolf (and any other parties involved) non of us could possibly recall its true origin.

Perhaps we should hire a band of fearless adventurers to uncover the mystery somewhere on the outskirts of the ruins of Old Detroit. I'll call Merc Ops and have them post the job.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Somehow I think this animation could be of extreme value to settling some debate I vaguely remember having last year somewhere about the pivot points of the boom gun, but it's hazy now.

I like the idea of antigrav explaining why no visible thrusters. Maybe that's so great now you don't even need pylons either.

As for the excessively floppy belt: well clearly a Psi-Tech sabotaged the GB so that an excess of belt was fed out from the ammo pack beyond the needs of the gun. It's a relatively minor problem compared to all the other stuff which could go wrong.

Regarding the movie: does the sale of those rights in any way interfere with other potential adaptations, like perhaps an anime adaptation? There's got to be some obscure Japanese company willing to produce at least a short 15-minute OVA pilot based on at least one of Palladium's games!

Return to “Rifts®”