So...are we not doing the orphan/foundling thing anymore?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

So...are we not doing the orphan/foundling thing anymore?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

The original Nightspawn made a big deal outta foundlings. The Survival Guide, not so much. Has that bit of lore fallen by the wayside?
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: So...are we not doing the orphan/foundling thing anymore

Unread post by eliakon »

thorr-kan wrote:The original Nightspawn made a big deal outta foundlings. The Survival Guide, not so much. Has that bit of lore fallen by the wayside?

It appears so.
My personal take is that the original foundling think was tied into a particular direction CJ wanted to take the line (the ghosts of the formless is one that I hear a lot). As that direction is no longer the offical direction the support for that direction is no longer being emphesized either.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

If it was a matter of ghosts, they could possess human kids like the Athanatos. I was thinking more like altered / mind-wiped formless ones or abandoned half-breeds.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:If it was a matter of ghosts, they could possess human kids like the Athanatos. I was thinking more like altered / mind-wiped formless ones or abandoned half-breeds.

I'm just relating what I have heard from the various discussions with CJ.
If you want more details on what he was thinking of with the 'ghosts of the Formless Ones" and why they turned into Nightbane showing up in cabbage patches or whatever... you can ask him.
*shrugs*

We know that they are NOT formeless ones per se (mindwiped or otherwise) because the books are pretty clear about the Formeless ones either being all dead or being the Reshapers.

In my opinion what they are is Nightbane. For more details ask your specific GM how they do things in their game.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Reshapers being Formless Ones wouldn't necessarily exclude Nightbane from also being them. Maybe there are different breeds, or ones who went through different processes.

Heck wasn't there even something about Dopplegangers being some kind?
Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

eliakon wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:The original Nightspawn made a big deal outta foundlings. The Survival Guide, not so much. Has that bit of lore fallen by the wayside?

It appears so.
My personal take is that the original foundling think was tied into a particular direction CJ wanted to take the line (the ghosts of the formless is one that I hear a lot). As that direction is no longer the offical direction the support for that direction is no longer being emphesized either.

That is the same thing I read. They got rid of the orphan story line, with them being reincarnated formless ones (not exactly ghost) due to the author leaving. They even answered about human/ nightbane coupling (20% chance of nightbane child) nightbane/nightbane (90% chance) and nightbane/guardian (not compatible). So that definitely ends the orphan story.
Axelmania
Knight

Lord Loppage wrote:They even answered about human/ nightbane coupling (20% chance of nightbane child) nightbane/nightbane (90% chance) and nightbane/guardian (not compatible). So that definitely ends the orphan story.

What page has those percentages?

It sounds like to be a Nightbane your parent has to be one, so perhaps the compromise here is that the ORIGINAL Nightbane were orphans/foundlings (or perhaps the children of other nightbane) but after interbreeding with humans, some normal humans managed to give birth to some too?

For extra horror: these percentages should only apply if impregnation occurs while in morphus.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:If it was a matter of ghosts, they could possess human kids like the Athanatos. I was thinking more like altered / mind-wiped formless ones or abandoned half-breeds.

It's not "Ghosts possessing people" so much as "Formless Ones being reincarnated"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Reincarnating souls inhabiting babies is basically possession IMO. Ethically speaking there doesn't seem to be much different between what Enlightened Immortals / parents of Athanatos do and what Dyvalians do to speed up rebirth.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:Reincarnating souls inhabiting babies is basically possession IMO. Ethically speaking there doesn't seem to be much different between what Enlightened Immortals / parents of Athanatos do and what Dyvalians do to speed up rebirth.

The formless ones were not inhabiting babies, that's what the foundling thing meant: there were no parents, they just spontaniously took the form of a mortal baby on someone's doorstep.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

IIRC at the POH Mark was saying that them being born now doesn't eliminate the foundling concept nor does it eliminate the souls being the formless ones. Their can still be foundlings. They don't possess children they are reincarnated as children.

To me I just figure that Dark day made it possible.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Axelmania
Knight

So you have humans spontaneously becoming nightbane and formless ones spontaneously becoming nightbane?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Axelmania wrote:So you have humans spontaneously becoming nightbane and formless ones spontaneously becoming nightbane?

Formless ones were extinct in the first Carmen books are they not in Mark's? So if they're extinct how are they spontaneously becoming Nightspawn?

Humans don't spontaneously becoming Nightspawn. They either are or are not and then the only becoming is when they have their becoming when their nature is revealed.

So really depends on what you mean as becoming. The in-game reveal or a change in original nature. First yes, second no.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Axelmania
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:Formless ones were extinct in the first Carmen books

Which page established that?

Zer0 Kay wrote:if they're extinct how are they spontaneously becoming Nightspawn?

Perhaps "were" rather than "are"?

Zer0 Kay wrote:Humans don't spontaneously becoming Nightspawn. They either are or are not and then the only becoming is when they have their becoming when their nature is revealed.

Spontaneity of the zygote?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Axelmania wrote:

Zer0 Kay wrote:if they're extinct how are they spontaneously becoming Nightspawn?

Perhaps "were" rather than "are"?

Zer0 Kay wrote:Humans don't spontaneously becoming Nightspawn. They either are or are not and then the only becoming is when they have their becoming when their nature is revealed.

Spontaneity of the zygote?

1. You made the first claim you show the citation.
2. Sure... it really doesnt matter
3. In part sure, especially when dealing with one or both parents being nightspawn. But then there is the other side where they're reincarnated.
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

I am not sure I like the whole changing of the orphan thing for Nightbane.
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

Eh, the whole orphan thing always struck me as conceptual borrowing from Highlander more than a useful plot hook. I've never really bothered with it.

My go to explanation was that in a lower magic era the Becoming was much less likely to happen so any potential Nightbane would be stuck in their Facade anyway to live and die as a human. The bloodline thus got spread through humanity with those who had the potential starting to go through the Becoming a ton more on Dark Day and after, when the overall magic level rose precipitously.

I was just never interested in making a whole game or major plotline about the age old question of "Who's Your Daddy?" y'know?
Axelmania
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

1. You made the first claim you show the citation.

What claim? You said this in response to my question "so you have humans spontaneously becoming nightbane and formless ones spontaneously becoming nightbane?"

I have no claim: I honestly can't recall whether they were explicitly extinct or not. I had thought it was one of the world's mysteries, further complicated by Reshapers.

MadGreenSon wrote:the whole orphan thing always struck me as conceptual borrowing from Highlander

Richie Ryan .. Duncan MacLeod .. I actually never noticed that! Could be due to gaps in episodes I've seen in the TV. Was this ever referenced for Connor MacLeod or Quentin MacLeod or Colin MacLeod? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_(Highlander) mentions being born in an abbey...
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

Axelmania wrote:Richie Ryan .. Duncan MacLeod .. I actually never noticed that! Could be due to gaps in episodes I've seen in the TV. Was this ever referenced for Connor MacLeod or Quentin MacLeod or Colin MacLeod? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_(Highlander) mentions being born in an abbey...

I recall it being referenced a few times in the show that no immortal had birth parents that they were aware of. Amanda may have turned up at an abbey, but I don't think they witnessed her birth. That's why it was a big deal in one of the awful made for TV movies that Duncan got his girlfriend pregnant and they could sense the kid was a pre-immortal, or something. It's been awhile.

Either way, the whole "Nightbane are orphans" thing reminded me of that and it also seemed like the kind of thing my players would obsess over, so I ditched it. <shrug> It seems that the current canon has ditched it as well. Either way, it's hardly a pillar of the setting. Whether or not a Nightbane can ID their parents or have kids of their own doesn't really have an effect on the overall metaplot of "The Nightlords have already 80% won and we gotta do something about it now"
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

To clarify: The original mythos indicated that Nightbane were all "foundlings" without known parentage. When Irvin Jackson and I came onboard to revitalize the line, Kevin made an executive decision (which we supported) that this piece of the mythos was no longer valid. Call it a retcon if you will. Personally, I found that detail to be too restrictive for character creation, and to cause issues with plausibility of the setting. There is absolutely nothing stopping individual G.M.s from maintaining that part of the mythos. There is nothing stopping a player from creating a Nightbane that is a foundling. Now it is simply an option rather than a mandate.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Axelmania
Knight

I wish you could keep some vestige of the original foundlings. Like instead of ALL foundlings, if you want newborn nightbane, maybe that only happens when at least one parent has Nightbane DNA in them (those who never had a Becoming essentially had recessive DNA) and the original nightbane from centuries/millenia past were all foundlings (formless ones perhaps)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Warwolf wrote:To clarify: The original mythos indicated that Nightbane were all "foundlings" without known parentage. When Irvin Jackson and I came onboard to revitalize the line, Kevin made an executive decision (which we supported) that this piece of the mythos was no longer valid. Call it a retcon if you will. Personally, I found that detail to be too restrictive for character creation, and to cause issues with plausibility of the setting. There is absolutely nothing stopping individual G.M.s from maintaining that part of the mythos. There is nothing stopping a player from creating a Nightbane that is a foundling. Now it is simply an option rather than a mandate.

Thank you!!

Return to “Nightbane®”