Boe's Birthday, and thank you kindly for that!

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Boe's Birthday, and thank you kindly for that!

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Hey there! Thank you folks here on the Megaversal Forums for the birthday wishes today (December 27th), something I look very much forward to. I wanted to also mention that next year- October 2019 specifically- will mark the 30th anniversary of my becoming a Palladium Fantasy player (and my beginnings as a gaming and Palladium Books RPG player), and Boethermsbrukan as my ongoing PFRPG character!

Again, thank you all, Megaversal Maniacs at Palladium Books and fellow players and fans alike, for having me along for the ride (however quietly)! :)

-Boe.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: Boe's Birthday, and thank you kindly for that!

Unread post by zerombr »

hey happy birthday indeed. So you've managed to play the same char for this entire journey, or is Boe your favorite that you still go back and visit occasionally?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Re: Boe's Birthday, and thank you kindly for that!

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Good morning, ZeroMBR, and thank you for posting me back today!

zerombr wrote:hey happy birthday indeed. So you've managed to play the same char for this entire journey, or is Boe your favorite that you still go back and visit occasionally?

Thank you very kindly for the birthday wishes on both our parts, chum! :) I suppose I should clarify: Boethermsbrukan I originally created in October of 1989, still then a Wolfen Imperial Army Dolabria (Military Engineer), when I was about two months into my first year of junior high school. I really only had one good friend during junior high school and eventually most of high school, to the end of Grade 13/OAC, and he was very much into role-playing games and had been for a while (same age as me, for comparisons' sake), two of which were Palladium Fantasy and Rifts. In not a few ways, said friend, with whom I am still close friends with today (while not spending quite as much time in the immediate company of said friend recently), was almost solely responsible for developing me into a Palladium Madfan and got me into role-playing gaming altogether. I knew about games like Dungeons & Dragons (which he did enjoy as well, and shared his interest with me thus) but it never occurred to me to investigate gaming further on my own prior to the beginning of our friendship. There was no restriction or belief-conflict at home about gaming, comic books or fan business had there been any in my interests prior to that (both of my brothers were and are colossal science-fiction fans, and regularly plopped me as a wee bit down in front of Doctor Who on PBS (Buffalo 17, clearly broadcast across Lake Ontario to our mutual home in Toronto, and Star Trek: The Original Series reruns, Saturday mornings on CBC Toronto Channel 5).

The first Palladium Book I ever saw and read- and eventually bought a copy of for my own, being the first and same Palladium Book (and first RPG book-and-paper book, too) I ever owned- was Monsters & Animals, with the Blas Gallago cover on the front (being the Gromek & Manticore painting), the third printing of it in October 1989, and bought a month later in November of that year at the old location of The Silver Snail down on Queen Street West here in Toronto. I remember how enthralled I was by Kevin Siembieda's pencil artwork (whose work was one of the earliest inspirations of mine to pursue my own interests in pencil and ink artwork, and eventually to put it up online when the time came), amongst them the Wolfen Army Drill Trainer and Coyle trainee under the Canine Races heading and the picture of the two of them together in Kevin's full-page graphite pencil drawing. I borrowed my friend's copy of the Palladium Fantasy Corebook after realizing I could actually create a character who was of the Wolfen species, and by the end of that afternoon I'd put together the first 'generation' of Boethermsbrukan as a character, along with a thrashed-out (if brief) background for her, that I've developed and built on since then, but for the most part hasn't strayed from her original gestational existence as a base for it. I didn't immediately call her 'Boethermsbrukan'; I don't believe I named her that 'officially' until about 15 years ago, when my skill in linguistics and word-adaptation was in much better shape. Her name is a phonetic play on words on the words 'Both Arms Broken', as a sort of tribal 'deed name' meshed into a unique given name, which I thought would be quite appropriate for a recently post-tribal culture like the Wolfen Empire and race was not long prior to the Palladium World's present-day.

As a player character, aside from one Rifts game in which I played a dimensionally-relocated Wolfen Headhunter 'freeman', Boethermsbrukan is the one and only character I've ever played in the two or three dozen sit-down games of Palladium Fantasy or Rifts (mostly the former) I've ever been in. I've never been in any extended campaigns during her career as a character or mine as a player; I've never been part of a persistent gaming group, and in the modern era of my life I've never pursued having any locally. All of Boe's appearances (aside from the writing I've done about her journeys, and the continued development of her character and background on my part) were impromptu 'guerrilla' gaming sessions; as episodes in her in-character life and development that would rarely if ever carry over to a second session with the same player group. That we kept to, and I was trusted as part of the honour system of gathered and gathering experience points between different groups, as well as character development thus, was a gift in and of itself to me as a deeply interested but often anonymous or previously-unknown gamer in the sessions Boethermsbrukan appeared as part of with me.

So I look at my game shelves out in the hallway, counting four or five hundred books and box sets, with at least a hundred of them being Palladium Publications alone. I remember Kevin's reply to me in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) after I asked what kind of inking pen he used for his artwork (it was probably four or five years ago) and along with Mr. Siembieda's answer to that, he recommended Gary Martin & Steve Rude's 'The Art Of Comic Book Inking' as a very good resource for my learning techniques that would carry me further along, and I bought my own copy of it not long after we spoke thus at a Chapters/Indigo here in town. I remember seeing those first pictures of the Imperial Wolfen race in Monsters & Animals and my own copy of the Palladium Fantasy Corebook (Christmas 1989), and being thoroughly revved about being able to play one of a proud race of giant, erect, semi-anthropomorphic wolves with a deep tribal history and a strong Romanic modern civilization.

Being part of the whole Palladium Business as a player and fan has been something very important to me, and my interest in Palladium's games have been a considerable spurring and encouragement to do creating of my own, whether developing Boethermsbrukan and her own local 'world' in our mutual story in the Palladium World, or consistently improving my artwork and writing in the last thirty years. So, if I may: Happy Birthday to myself, Happy Birthday to Boethermsbrukan, and a very big Happy Birthday to Palladium Books as I have known them, if you'll permit. :)

Once again, thank you very kindly for your post in reply to mine, ZeroMBR, and thank you for sharing my quiet but enthusiastic celebrations with me! Have a great Thursday, however you enjoy your day and with whom you enjoy it!

-Boe.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”