rift/lay line color ?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

rift/lay line color ?

Unread post by oger333 »

is there any other color rift/lay line's that are different properties or something ?

red, dark blue ,?
oger333
Explorer

Re: rift/lay line color ?

Unread post by oger333 »

so a thought is the megaverse is super huge aka infinite ... light as it travels has a red shift or a blue shift ... maybe the rift/lay line color could be the extreme distance
it is traveling ... or how much energy it has ?
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

maybe.. a red colored lay line would be more aggressive energy wise adding extra-damage at the cost's of.... duration.amount of p.p.e drain/time to recover .green .orange... so on
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

don't think there's anything canon stating that there can or cannot be varying colours of ley lines, so feel free to make whatever you want.

i think all the art depicts electric blue though.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

And descriptions scattered throughout the books stay blue lines of energy.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:And descriptions scattered throughout the books stay blue lines of energy.

Although red or purple ley lines would be really cool in artwork so if you can think of a situation where different color would be appropriate go for it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In the Shadow Dimension we have "anti-ley lines" that are purple.

As far as I can tell, Palladium has "blue to bluish white" as the default 'color of magic'
Spells produce glowing bluish effects, ley lines are blue, et multiple cetera

One could create a homebrew set up with changing ley-line colors. Though you quickly run into things like color-blindness and what have you.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Generally, as said, they are blue highlighted with white.

Me, I'd save "the ley lines are red" for some REALLY messed up things happening.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mark Hall wrote:Generally, as said, they are blue highlighted with white.

Me, I'd save "the ley lines are red" for some REALLY messed up things happening.

But that is bordering on anthropomorphizing the leylines. With Chi I could kind of understand it since there is a positive and negative but magic is magic is magic the energy doesn't care what your using it for.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

But that is bordering on anthropomorphizing the leylines. With Chi I could kind of understand it since there is a positive and negative but magic is magic is magic the energy doesn't care what your using it for.

When you have a reality breach and The Things Of Never are escaping from beyond the Wall Of Is things and dogs and cats are living together levels of messed up.

AKA Things have gotten so bad that the laws of reality themselves are warping.
That's when you play things like
"guys, I think we are in deep trouble"
"why"
"The ley lines in Kansas are starting to turn Red"
"****"
"My thoughts exactly...time to send in the PCs"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Everybody knows red ones go faster.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:But that is bordering on anthropomorphizing the leylines. With Chi I could kind of understand it since there is a positive and negative but magic is magic is magic the energy doesn't care what your using it for.

It doesn't have to be. We know that ley lines are invisible when there is not enough PPE in the environment and they go to a blueish when there is more so who is to say in wouldn't shift to deeper colors with even more.

There also could be some dimensions that have a different color for ley lines. When my players went to the scortched lands, DB 2 pg 16, I had it with an eerie green color just to mess with them.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

I think what he was meaning is that the situation itself is what's gone fubar, not that there's a necromancer or something of the like making things fubar. For instance, if you find yourself on the bad side of a rift and on a WWII battlecruiser that has been subjected to several dark rituals and has taken on a life of its own and really wants to kill/eat the party, kinda like "Event Horizon." One clue that you could give that lets the players know that everything is NOT normal would be sailing past a ley line that's clearly not the same color that they are used to seeing. A ley line that is RED, gives a certain emotional importance, a certain feel, to the way things are currently going.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

taalismn wrote:

Everybody knows red ones go faster.

No, no, nononono...

The red ones are moving away from you!

(Wikipedia red shift, if you need the explanation.)
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

torjones wrote:[
I think what he was meaning is that the situation itself is what's gone fubar, not that there's a necromancer or something of the like making things fubar. For instance, if you find yourself on the bad side of a rift and on a WWII battlecruiser that has been subjected to several dark rituals and has taken on a life of its own and really wants to kill/eat the party, kinda like "Event Horizon." One clue that you could give that lets the players know that everything is NOT normal would be sailing past a ley line that's clearly not the same color that they are used to seeing. A ley line that is RED, gives a certain emotional importance, a certain feel, to the way things are currently going.

"Are leylines supposed to look like ripsaws speeding at you? BLOODY ripsaws?"
"Oh hell....comrades, gird yourselves! There are BAD things here!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------