Soul-related content across the Megaverse

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Soul-related content across the Megaverse

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm trying to put together a list of abilities/items/beings that directly reference souls. Any help to that end will be appreciated. It will be mostly by setting.

Rune Weapons
Invocations: Soultwist
Witch Pacts

Rifts:
WB 6 Soul Worms
WB 12 Nxla and related, Soul Snake
WB 16 Soul Bottle
WB 23 Codex of Souls (NPC throwaway mention)
WB 24 Soul Bells, Damned Souls, Soul Deals
WB 29 Conglomerate Entity "Soul Collector Ghost"
WB 35 Soulmancy (Soulmancer, multiple spells, Soul Crystals) Soul Cannon, Soul Stones
DB 1 "Soul Batteries"
DB 10 Soul Catcher, Soul Cannon, Soul Eater Transport
DB 11 Soul Gems, Soul Pool
DB 12 Soul Barge
Vampire Sourcebook: Soulcraft, Soulforge

Fantasy:
PFRPG6: Life Force Wizard
PFRPG11: Touch Soul Spirit Tattoo, Beads of Soul, Soul Gems
PFRPG13: Soulstone of Arendrun
PFRPG14: Soulhunter
PFRPG15: Cauldron of Lost Souls

HU: Armageddon Unlimited: EE: Soul Blast, Weapons (Soul Eater, Soul Slayer, Soul Saver)

Nightbane: Soul Shield Talent, Soul Leech, Soul Tracker, Soul in a Bottle(Spell)
**I don't have a copy of Dark Designs, and would particularly like to hear from someone that does.

Mystic China: lots of Chi-related stuff

Rifter:
28 Soul Tree (BTS)
55 Souls (Fantasy)
Last edited by Curbludgeon on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Soul-related content across the Megaverse

Unread post by Axelmania »

no mention in Rifts Japan?
Curbludgeon
Hero

I had assumed that any daisho that were capable of drinking souls would be similar to other Rune Weapons, but the Ghostly Katana of Soul Slaying does make mention of both the alloy Soulstuff and its development on Wormwood. There's also an entry in the Two Minds technique, which I'm just keeping lumped in with other Chi stuff.

Thanks for catching that.
Axelmania
Knight

I had no idea Japan referenced Wormwood, I'd better have another go.

Since you skipped from DB1 to DB10, here's two more for you from Phase World and its sourcebook:
*DB2p99 "Their bodies and souls are seared and reshaped by cosmic forces." (Cosmo-Knights)
*DB3p38 "The armor molds itself perfectly around the soldier and the mind and soul of the warrior is linked to the armor." (Warlock Marines)
Curbludgeon
Hero

Oh, I didn't sklp books, things like Mechanoids, RECON, and Valley of the Pharaohs notwitstanding. I searched though each pdf and disregarded mentions of the word soul that didn't have mechanical effects. The Rifts Japan thing was a slip-up.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Curbludgeon wrote:I had assumed that any daisho that were capable of drinking souls would be similar to other Rune Weapons, but the Ghostly Katana of Soul Slaying does make mention of both the alloy Soulstuff and its development on Wormwood. There's also an entry in the Two Minds technique, which I'm just keeping lumped in with other Chi stuff.

Thanks for catching that.

Actually he's refering to the fact that every Daisho has a soul inside of it powering it like a rune weapon. They're used to behead someone and that soul becomes the fuel for them.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Curbludgeon wrote:Oh, I didn't sklp books, things like Mechanoids, RECON, and Valley of the Pharaohs notwitstanding. I searched though each pdf and disregarded mentions of the word soul that didn't have mechanical effects. The Rifts Japan thing was a slip-up.

I think the mechanical effect of Cosmo-Knights and Warlock Marines is even if you died and were reincarnated, you'd still have SOME of your cosmic powers and be linked to your WM power armor.

I don't know if that would still apply to Fallen Cosmo-Knights though, and I imagine Warlock Marines would lose other OCC abilities they gained from special drugs they take to enhance their bodies, of course.
Curbludgeon
Hero

In that nothing soul-related is made explicit in descriptions of Cosmo-Knights or Warlock Marines I'm disinclined to include it in the list. There are tons of references to souls throughout the books, but few of them have numbers attached.

Sudacne, I believe that the degree to which samurai daisho in Rifts Japan are treated as effectively similar to Rune Weapons obviates their specific mention being made again, save insofar as they present new information such as the Wormwood reference noted above.

Something related that I'd like to compile are examples of OCCs and the like that have been "touched by evil", that then more often than not fight against it. Off the top of my head, there are:

Apok from Wormwood
Sea Inquisitor from Underseas
Enemy of darkness, from Vampire Sourcebook
Cold-Blooded, from Mercenary Adventures

Coming up with anything else would be appreciated. I would ideally like to work up some pregens for an adventure involving Spirit-Scarred in alliance with Technoorganic Philosopher/Pirates against the Seven-Fold Soul Engine of Sacrifice Industries.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

A few things that will complicate this are that
1) 'soul' doesn't always mean soul (they use the term a lot for its cool factor for instance)
2) some times what is mentioned isn't always exactly presented as a soul.

A good example of #1 is the soul shield talent
A good example of #2 are things like Rune weapons or in Dragons and Gods where they talk about what happens to gods when their body is killed
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

eliakon wrote:A few things that will complicate this are that
1) 'soul' doesn't always mean soul (they use the term a lot for its cool factor for instance)
2) some times what is mentioned isn't always exactly presented as a soul.

A good example of #1 is the soul shield talent
A good example of #2 are things like Rune weapons or in Dragons and Gods where they talk about what happens to gods when their body is killed

Who's to say that guarding your mind is not guarding your soul?

Curbludgeon wrote:Something related that I'd like to compile are examples of OCCs and the like that have been "touched by evil", that then more often than not fight against it. Off the top of my head, there are:

Apok from Wormwood
Sea Inquisitor from Underseas
Enemy of darkness, from Vampire Sourcebook
Cold-Blooded, from Mercenary Adventures

Coming up with anything else would be appreciated.

If "and the like" includes RCCs, I believe that the Wampyre from Nightbane fits the concept.

There's also the "Corrupt" in Federation of Magic if they turn good, and possibly the Mystic Knights in Madhaven who aren't evil like most Mystic Knights. The latter is more of a "there are also evil cyber-knights" in reverse though.

There is also the "Emancipated Lesson" in Splynn Dimensional Market, who is sort of the reverse concept of a Monster Weredragon in same book.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”