Atlantis, Lemuria and other lost civilizations in Nightbane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

plotulus
D-Bee

Atlantis, Lemuria and other lost civilizations in Nightbane

Unread post by plotulus »

Did they use to exist there? Was there any presence of these civilizations? Or were they non existent?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Atlantis, Lemuria and other lost civilizations in Nightb

Unread post by eliakon »

plotulus wrote:Did they use to exist there? Was there any presence of these civilizations? Or were they non existent?

The answer is "maybe"
There is mention of some ancient kingdoms, but not names per se.
This is basically in keeping with the game motif of mystery and intrigue.
Thus it is possible that this Earth had its own versions of Atlantis, or Lemuria, or Nazca, or the like. Or it might not have. What we do know is that the timeline for the Nightlords is such that there had to have been some ahistorical civilization(s)... but we don't know what.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I haven't read my NB books but wasn't there a lost civilization in the Darklands? Did the books ever say who they were?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Warshield73 wrote:I haven't read my NB books but wasn't there a lost civilization in the Darklands? Did the books ever say who they were?

Nope, just that they existed and made a metric crap ton of Artifacts.
The people exploring it believe (on no firm evidence as far as I know) that it is Atlantis... but that is just their speculation. Apparently they have an entire ruined city full of magic items... and not one darn thing written down anywhere for them to do a language check with :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

eliakon wrote:
plotulus wrote:Did they use to exist there? Was there any presence of these civilizations? Or were they non existent?

The answer is "maybe"
There is mention of some ancient kingdoms, but not names per se.
This is basically in keeping with the game motif of mystery and intrigue.
Thus it is possible that this Earth had its own versions of Atlantis, or Lemuria, or Nazca, or the like. Or it might not have. What we do know is that the timeline for the Nightlords is such that there had to have been some ahistorical civilization(s)... but we don't know what.

iirc, a lot of the story we do know about nightbane suggests that a lot of it comes from ancient sumeria =S

but yeah, there are definitely other ancient groups hinted at. i'm not convinced nightbane has a very atlantis feeling to it, personally... most likely those places were just linked via (semi)permanent portals or something, leading to the stories about them, but they don't really seem to fit in with the rest of the story of the setting imo.

of course, such a thing as portals that allow any sort of meaningful cultural exchange would suggest that perhaps long ago the mirrorwall wasn't there...
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

eliakon wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:I haven't read my NB books but wasn't there a lost civilization in the Darklands? Did the books ever say who they were?

The people exploring it believe (on no firm evidence as far as I know) that it is Atlantis... but that is just their speculation. Apparently they have an entire ruined city full of magic items... and not one darn thing written down anywhere for them to do a language check with :lol:

Of course it's Atlantis! It's always Atlantis!

Them darn True Atlanteans get into *everything!*

If you want it to be Atlantis, you now have a perfect tie-in to all the Atlantean/Megaverse/Magic/Psi/Stuff you want to poach.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

thorr-kan wrote:
eliakon wrote:

If you want it to be Atlantis, you now have a perfect tie-in to all the Atlantean/Megaverse/Magic/Psi/Stuff you want to poach.

Again it has been a long time since I've read NB but if memory serves aren't the Nightlords older than Atlantis? Didn't they leave for the darklands before the dominance of Atlantis and it's disappearance?
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Warshield73 wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Again it has been a long time since I've read NB but if memory serves aren't the Nightlords older than Atlantis? Didn't they leave for the darklands before the dominance of Atlantis and it's disappearance?

We can't assume that Atlantis in the style of Rifts Earth ever existed on Nightbane Earth.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

dreicunan wrote:We can't assume that Atlantis in the style of Rifts Earth ever existed on Nightbane Earth.

I think that is the point of the OP.

Accidentally hit submit before I finished.

Like I said I couldn't remember if they were in there but there are lost civilizations but not sure who they are.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Not explicitly. the existance of magically powerful civilizations pre-dating the Nightlords (and thus presumably participating in the big war that sealed them into the Nightlands) was stated, but it's deliberately vauge on what these kingdoms were, or where they were located.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

I think i read once in the books that kind of implied the NIGHTLORDS were their homeworld's version of the True Atlanteans, but honestly can't remember which one. Need to check that out one of those days....

Return to “Nightbane®”