Magic Potions

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Magic Potions

Unread post by filo_clarke »

PFRPG Yin Sloth Jungles had the skill Holistic Chemistry, that could be used to create things like Healing Potions, Poisons, and Explosives. These might be considered "mundane" in term of how they are manufactured, but their effects might be considered "magical". One of the Rifters provided an update to the skill for 2nd edition.

Rifts: England had the Mystic Herbology skill, allowing a character to magically enhance natural herbs to create things like potions, wands, and other things. I don't remember if this skill was explicitly for Druid OCCs only, or if they simply received a bonus, whereas any other practitioner of magic did not.

Otherwise, the PFRPG Alchemist is the only class that I can think of that can make potions, though this is never really statted out anywhere.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

jester_79 wrote:My gaming group has an on going question. Are there any rules/recommendations for when a wizards can/should be able to create potions, i.e. healing potions. Like what level of experience and what skills would be needed. Also how many skill rolls would required to determine the success or failure of the creation.

Making potions is a class-based thing, not a skill-based thing. only certain OCC's like Herbalist and Alchmist can even make the attempt.

They are also rarer to find in general. Potions just arn't a very big "thing" in palladium
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

A mage who knows the Nazcan Line Magic ritual "Draught of Health" and either the (depending on book) Temporal Magic spell "Time Capsule" or the Invocation spell "Ley line Time Capsule" can make healing potions for just the cost of bottles and stoppers.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

filo_clarke wrote:PFRPG Yin Sloth Jungles had the skill Holistic Chemistry, that could be used to create things like Healing Potions, Poisons, and Explosives. These might be considered "mundane" in term of how they are manufactured, but their effects might be considered "magical". One of the Rifters provided an update to the skill for 2nd edition.

Do you know what Rifter?

I'm always curious about skills as powers in the Megaverse.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

thorr-kan wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:PFRPG Yin Sloth Jungles had the skill Holistic Chemistry, that could be used to create things like Healing Potions, Poisons, and Explosives. These might be considered "mundane" in term of how they are manufactured, but their effects might be considered "magical". One of the Rifters provided an update to the skill for 2nd edition.

Do you know what Rifter?

Greetings and Salutations. Rifter 24 is the issue. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Prysus wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:

Do you know what Rifter?

Greetings and Salutations. Rifter 24 is the issue. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Thanks! I think that's in the gaming group's archives...
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
thorr-kan
Adventurer

So, I found a copy in the group archives. Not really potions, per se, not Alchemy as Palladium Fantasy means it. But very, very interesting nonetheless.

Your character has the ability to make concoctions, assuming materials and a lab are available. Might be interesting to tack this onto Mystic China's Chinese Alchemy skill as well.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”