A question about Harmony Gold

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kargan3033
Hero

A question about Harmony Gold

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

If Harmony Gold is not renewing it's Robotech license what will happen to Robotech does it become public domain?
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: A question about Harmony Gold

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

What has happened is that Harmony Gold has decided not to renew the license they issued to Palladium. basically all that means that palladium cannot make or sell robotech products anymore. for HG it means that they now have the option to pick a different RPG company to make a robotech game, if any approach them about it. (which i doubt many will)
but HG will still control robotech, it will not be public domain.

in 2021 harmony Gold's license for the three parts of Robotech (macross, southern cross, and mospeada) will end. at that point they will have to negotiate with Tatsunoko (which owns Southern cross and Mospeada, and has overseas video-only distribution rights for macross) to renew. they have to negotiate because parts of the original contract was rendered illegal after the japanese copyright courts ruling in the dispute between Big West/Studio Nue, and Tatsunoko. with the court finding Tatsunoko only controlled distribution rights for the footage only. (basically, the original Tatsunoko/HG contract included stuff Tatsunoko was found not to have owned the rights to give control of, like character art and0 other trademark related elements)
if that negotiation fails (which it may.. HG and Tatsunoko have had some legal kerfuffles themselves recently, requiring arbitration), that will leave HG unable to use the footage and designs from the three shows, basically ending the robotech series as we know it. however it would leave Hg with control of all the things they themselves invented for it, such as the name robotech, the character names, the concept of protoculture as a fuel, etc. this would in theory allow them to create a wholly new show with all new art and story elements without using the japanese footage or designs. they'd have to rename anything sharing a name with something from the japanese shows (the zentraedi and those characters, possibly the invid, etc.) so the result would be very different and a whole new reality, but it could be done.

in neither case would the material go open source. in fact, given current copyright laws, it will liekly be a long time before any of it could qualify. in japan copyright protections are lifted 50 years after the creator's death (not sure if that mean company or staff here), and since the people involved are still alive and not close to death just yet, it'll probably be a century or so till that opens up. (and in japan their definition of 'public domain' is a little more complex too.)
in america the current limit is 70 years after creator's death, but that number keeps going up everything Mickey Mouse comes close to going public domain, so odds are we'll never get the HG elements of robotech public domain, unless the whole system is reworked.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

Ok then and thanks for the info glitterboy2098.
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Kargan3033 wrote:Ok then and thanks for the info glitterboy2098.

no problem. Copyright, trademark, and product licensing laws are fairly complex. even i don't claim to know all the nuances of them. but i've been in enough enough discussions about the macross/robotech situation (from three sides.. macross, robotech, and even battletech!) that i can at least sum up.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote: possibly the invid

Not sure why the Invid would be effected since in the OSM they are the Inbit.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

that's why i said 'possibly'. would depend on whether the names are considered sufficiently different (given that when spoken they sound nearly the same)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
insomniac009
D-Bee

Unread post by insomniac009 »

That's why everything is starting to look slightly different in the recent comic books. If the only thing Harmony Gold owns is the story then they will just substitute different designs for the characters and mecha and move on.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

insomniac009 wrote:That's why everything is starting to look slightly different in the recent comic books. If the only thing Harmony Gold owns is the story then they will just substitute different designs for the characters and mecha and move on.

i don't think that they are changing things in the comic because of that. visually the new comics are still pretty much the same as the Show, just with a different style. the main thing they've changed is the story. but HG can claim the story fairly easily, since they rewrote the stories for the three shows in the first place to make robotech. while there are elements that might have to be changed if they lost the shows, those aren't the elements the comics are changing either.

no, i think the recent comics are just the comic company wanting to explore some different visual styles and 'what if's' related to the storyline. and HG allowing them to do so. at most, what HG is doing is letting the comics get the fans used to things being a bit different from the show, in hopes that when the live action film (which will invariably be very different from the show visually and in many other ways) won't attract too much negative fan attention.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
insomniac009 wrote:That's why everything is starting to look slightly different in the recent comic books. If the only thing Harmony Gold owns is the story then they will just substitute different designs for the characters and mecha and move on.

i don't think that they are changing things in the comic because of that. visually the new comics are still pretty much the same as the Show, just with a different style. the main thing they've changed is the story. but HG can claim the story fairly easily, since they rewrote the stories for the three shows in the first place to make robotech. while there are elements that might have to be changed if they lost the shows, those aren't the elements the comics are changing either.

no, i think the recent comics are just the comic company wanting to explore some different visual styles and 'what if's' related to the storyline. and HG allowing them to do so. at most, what HG is doing is letting the comics get the fans used to things being a bit different from the show, in hopes that when the live action film (which will invariably be very different from the show visually and in many other ways) won't attract too much negative fan attention.

I know the guy from Wonder Woman is supposed to be writing Robotech for Sony but how likely is this to happen? I mean they couldn't get enough interest in the property to make the two sequels to Shadow Chronicles.

Also, does anyone know how the 2021 deadline for HG going to effect the movie?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

I know the guy from Wonder Woman is supposed to be writing Robotech for Sony but how likely is this to happen? I mean they couldn't get enough interest in the property to make the two sequels to Shadow Chronicles.

Shadow Chronicle sequels at one time where put on hold because of the LAM IIRC, and likely other reasons to (lack of wanting to invest solo, lack of getting a TV series pickedup out of it, etc).

The 2021 deadline just means that HG can't reuse designs from the 3OSMs. Story/Plot might be protected, but they'd have to do new designs anyway I would suspect in order to keep them from looking dated.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Shadow Chronicle sequels at one time where put on hold because of the LAM IIRC, and likely other reasons to (lack of wanting to invest solo, lack of getting a TV series pickedup out of it, etc).

The 2021 deadline just means that HG can't reuse designs from the 3OSMs. Story/Plot might be protected, but they'd have to do new designs anyway I would suspect in order to keep them from looking dated.

What about character names?

I am really cool with the idea of an F-22 version veritech but how will most of the fan base respond? How much negative reaction will it take for Sony to cancel this whole thing. I mean they have been talking about a live action Robotech for 11 years now.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Character Names... Some are probably safer than others I would think.

I think the F-22 might be out, or if used might require a large degree of carefullness given the SDF:M universe itself has an F-22 like design (one of the Macross Plus prototypes IIRC). That doesn't mean they can't use it, but they'd have to choose a transformation that is different (sort of like GoBots and G1 Transformers, both had their F-15s, and they all transformed differently).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

most of the character names should be fine. Robotech is about Rick Hunter, Dana Sterling, and Scott Bernard after all, not Hikaru Ichijo, Jeanne Fránçaix, and Stick Barnard. though some might need changing or adjusting.. the Minmei/Minmay situation for example would need a lawyer to be sure, Roy Fokker/Roy Focker likewise, while some of the Zentraedi would probably need changing (Breetai and Dolza for example). Oddly khyron would be free and clear (he was 'Khamjin' in the original macross)
the mecha names though would have to be changed completely..

i'd imagine that part of the reason Sony has had trouble getting a finalized script is the need to identify which names and items will need to be changed, which don't, and figuring out how much change to put in to cover their butts, without making it unrecognizable.

as for the F-22.. as cool at it would be, you'd have to be very careful given that we already have a multi-mode F-22 Robot, Starscream. who during the films even did some "transforms halfway between a jet and a robot to attack stuff in mid air" bits.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think it would need to be F-35esque to escape the Macross and Transformers issues.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually i'd split the difference.. and use a fighter mode similar to the Lockheed Naval ATF, which gives you both the sleek stealth look of the F-22 and the swing wings of the F-14/VF-1. best of both worlds. and i don't think that it has ever been used in a film yet.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote: Oddly khyron would be free and clear (he was 'Khamjin' in the original macross).

Khyron: "I SURVIVE!!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!...I'm sorry, was that too over the top?"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote: Oddly khyron would be free and clear (he was 'Khamjin' in the original macross).

Khyron: "I SURVIVE!!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!...I'm sorry, was that too over the top?"

no :lol:
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
jingizu999
D-Bee

Unread post by jingizu999 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:What has happened is that Harmony Gold has decided not to renew the license they issued to Palladium. basically all that means that palladium cannot make or sell robotech products anymore. for HG it means that they now have the option to pick a different RPG company to make a robotech game, if any approach them about it. (which i doubt many will)

I would guess that many people know about this already, but as of July Harmony Gold has extended a licence to produce a new Robotech RPG to another company. I won't link directly to them as it just feels a little uncouth, but it is easy enough to Google. They are also extending a hand to those of us who lost money on the Robotech RPG Tactics debacle, a smart little bit of marketing there. So, while Palladium Robotech may be relegated to history, the Robotech I.P. lives on for at least a few more years.

Note: This is not an endorsement or advertisement for the new RPG. I don't know anything about that company or their offering, I own every book released for both editions of Palladium's Robotech, and have been enjoying it since Christmas of 1986. I just figured I'd throw this out there.

BTW Glitterboy, that was a nice clear concise rundown of the situation. :ok:
“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love ―
RobotechMaster
D-Bee
Location: Robotech Research Group, New Macross Defence Institute

Unread post by RobotechMaster »

Oldtimers from late 1980s, 1990s of the 1st Ed Robotech RPG and the new gen RPGers that got to know 2nd Robotech RPGs in mid 2000s - 2010s might still want to stick with Palladium / homebrew rulings and stats.

Besides, the 1st and 2nd Eds of Robotech RPGs by Palladium are treasure troves of their own. I'd rate them second only to my Art of Robotech books.

What makes the adapting the Robotech-fanfics / RPG campaigns based from Palladium's Robotech much more sweeter is the fact that Palladium once carried the Macross II RPGs. And other Palladium's IP like Rifts, 3 Galaxies are ripe for padding in expanding the RT-verse for fans by fans.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

jingizu999 wrote:I would guess that many people know about this already, but as of July Harmony Gold has extended a licence to produce a new Robotech RPG to another company. I won't link directly to them as it just feels a little uncouth, but it is easy enough to Google. They are also extending a hand to those of us who lost money on the Robotech RPG Tactics debacle, a smart little bit of marketing there. So, while Palladium Robotech may be relegated to history, the Robotech I.P. lives on for at least a few more years.

Considering that the new licensee is a small indie game publisher with only a few years of experience that picked up the license to make a few cheap cardstock board games, and that they acquired that license knowing that Harmony Gold's own license from Tatsunoko Production was set to expire about 2½ years from now, many suspect that they were required to pick up the RPG rights as part of their acquisition of the tabletop game license and that they're not putting a serious effort into it because they'll only get one or two books out of it before the rights expire.

Mind you, if they're not more careful the whole thing'll come to a premature end with the copyright infringement lawsuit Harmony Gold has spent the nineteen years fearing from Big West. They've been caught and reported once already for using designs from Macross titles Harmony Gold has no rights to, including Macross 7.

RobotechMaster wrote:Oldtimers from late 1980s, 1990s of the 1st Ed Robotech RPG and the new gen RPGers that got to know 2nd Robotech RPGs in mid 2000s - 2010s might still want to stick with Palladium / homebrew rulings and stats.

Not to mention that the Palladium system, via Macross II and/or Robotech, is almost exclusively the system of choice for Macross RPG gamers and homebrewers.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I would think though that HG would have had to make such a bundle attractive from a cost standpoint.

As to the number of books they might hope to get out, they only really need to do what 3-4 (TMS, TRM, NG, maybe other periods but I suspect those could mostly be folded into the 3 main arcs or done as a single book). Which compares to the what 6 books (not counting size change reprints) PB has done in 2E, and 3 of those books could probably be condensed to 1 (especially if we avoid the copy and paste job that Marines is reported to have had and drop the various "PB Creations"). 3-4 might be doable in that time frame. Granted if its the party I think it is, they don't have any real experience in traditional RPGs based on their website (meaning 2 might be optimistic for an in-house thing at that level or licensing another "engine" or subcontracting it out).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

ShadowLogan wrote:I would think though that HG would have had to make such a bundle attractive from a cost standpoint.

Well, it's not like Robotech is a property that's highly sought-after by prospective licensees... that lack of demand probably helped keep the price low.

ShadowLogan wrote:As to the number of books they might hope to get out, they only really need to do what 3-4 (TMS, TRM, NG, maybe other periods but I suspect those could mostly be folded into the 3 main arcs or done as a single book). Which compares to the what 6 books (not counting size change reprints) PB has done in 2E, and 3 of those books could probably be condensed to 1 (especially if we avoid the copy and paste job that Marines is reported to have had and drop the various "PB Creations"). 3-4 might be doable in that time frame. Granted if its the party I think it is, they don't have any real experience in traditional RPGs based on their website (meaning 2 might be optimistic for an in-house thing at that level or licensing another "engine" or subcontracting it out).

They're having to break a lot of new ground in development because their system is set up for fantasy RPGs... so I'd guess two books, maybe three, before the deadline comes screaming in and puts a stop to it.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I was mistaken on the RPG company. I guess there are two companies with RT table top game licensees out there currently.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

Seto Kaiba wrote:They're having to break a lot of new ground in development because their system is set up for fantasy RPGs... so I'd guess two books, maybe three, before the deadline comes screaming in and puts a stop to it.

Perhaps so, but I'm personally pretty interested in seeing what they come up with. I haven't had the time to read through the Alpha document that SMG has posted (free download through their forum), but I'm excited to see a different take on Robotech RPGing that's officially supported.
maasenstodt
Adventurer

ShadowLogan wrote:I was mistaken on the RPG company. I guess there are two companies with RT table top game licensees out there currently.

Strange Machine Games is publishing three RT board games (actually, the first one was available at GenCon) and is developing the new Robotech RPG. What's the other company you're thinking of?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

maasenstodt wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:I was mistaken on the RPG company. I guess there are two companies with RT table top game licensees out there currently.

Strange Machine Games is publishing three RT board games (actually, the first one was available at GenCon) and is developing the new Robotech RPG. What's the other company you're thinking of?

SolarFlare Games. They have a Macross-era game out currently (or its supposed to be), along with a Masters and NG eras in the pipeline (per their website)
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Both are little indie outfits with nothing particularly remarkable to their names.

maasenstodt wrote:Perhaps so, but I'm personally pretty interested in seeing what they come up with. I haven't had the time to read through the Alpha document that SMG has posted (free download through their forum), but I'm excited to see a different take on Robotech RPGing that's officially supported.

Unless they (continue to) engage in copyright infringement by unlawfully using content from Macross material Harmony Gold doesn't have the rights to, I don't expect to see anything new or particularly interesting. A company-ending copyright infringement lawsuit would, IMO, count as "new and interesting", but wouldn't be particularly productive.

After all, they're treading VERY old ground... the Robotech series lore hasn't had a meaningful update in (almost exactly) twelve years[sup]1[/sup], and there hasn't been a viable sequel in over thirty-three years of trying. There's not really much they can exploit that hasn't been done to death by two previous editions by Palladium and by the fans. If they did a proper job of their research, there'd be a little less than was in the Palladium RT2e game, since Palladium accidentally (and later intentionally) used quite a bit of material that isn't actually in Robotech by copy-pasting from OSM sources.[sup]2[/sup]

[1] 12 years, 4 days at time of writing. Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles was first screened 25 August 2006.
[2] The VF-1 Valkyrie got hit with this a fair bit, from incorrect art to weapons that weren't introduced until Macross: Do You Remember Love? because the RPG writers were copying from Macross fansites that don't differentiate between the TV and Movie VF-1. Palladium later did it deliberately by mining the Imai Files for MOSPEADA preproduction material to use in the UEEF Marines book.

maasenstodt
Adventurer

ShadowLogan wrote:SolarFlare Games. They have a Macross-era game out currently (or its supposed to be), along with a Masters and NG eras in the pipeline (per their website)

Thanks - I'll be looking into that for sure!
maasenstodt
Adventurer

Seto Kaiba wrote:There's not really much they can exploit that hasn't been done to death by two previous editions by Palladium and by the fans.

I think rulesets matter quite a bit when it comes to how a RPG feels in actual play. For instance, when comparing 0D&D to AD&D to 3.x to 4.x to 5e, you have games with the same basic name and that can be limited to include classes of the same name, foes of the same name, spells of the same name, etc. In spite of all that, those games feel very different at the table. Thus, I do think there's a lot of room for something new when it comes to Robotech. Maybe not when it comes to providing "MDC by Location" for XYZ vehicle, but certainly so when it comes to the feeling that the game helps to evoke around the table when we play each weekend.

My interest in is seeing new sets of rules that, in spite of covering those same old Valkyries and Destroids, provide that different feel. Except insofar as it curtails their ability to express their creativity to make a new game, I don't really care about the legal aspects. I think there's overwhelming evidence that intellectual monopoly laws are a form of welfare that works against the public interest. But that's really digressing. Ultimately, I enjoy variety, and being that published Robotech RPGs have only been produced by a single company with a handful of individuals involved, it seems to me that there's a lot of room for something very new to come out of something that may seem very played out. :)
jingizu999
D-Bee

Unread post by jingizu999 »

Just to clarify, SolarFlare Games is not producing an RPG. They are making a 2 player tactical card game, a 2 player tactical game (not clear if its a card game or not), and a cooperative card game. You can find reviews of the first game, Robotech: Force of Arms, online. The artwork looks nice, and the cards are sturdy. From the look of it the game will have some attraction for Robotech fans, but I don't know how much longevity it'll have for anyone else. It plays quick and has a small form factor so I'll end up picking it up and throwing it in my gaming bag for pickup games.

As for SMG's game, I'd suggest grabbing the alpha rules off their forums if you are interested. As Seto Kaiba mentioned, they aren't going to be breaking any new ground. This late in the licence life, all they can really do is put existing characters, mecha, and stories to a new mechanical system. From the quick glance I've been able to give it, the game looks to be going for a very different experience than what most of us are probably used to with Palladium.
“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love ―
Seto Kaiba
Knight

maasenstodt wrote:Thus, I do think there's a lot of room for something new when it comes to Robotech. Maybe not when it comes to providing "MDC by Location" for XYZ vehicle, but certainly so when it comes to the feeling that the game helps to evoke around the table when we play each weekend.

On that score, I'm not so sure... especially since the RPG license has been tied to a single - some would say stagnant - RPG system that has gone largely unrevised for over twenty years. Robotech fans are nothing if not creatures of habit... they would have to be to stick with the franchise for this long.

jingizu999 wrote:As for SMG's game, I'd suggest grabbing the alpha rules off their forums if you are interested. As Seto Kaiba mentioned, they aren't going to be breaking any new ground.

IMO, it bodes ill that the game is advertised not as a Robotech RPG, but as the Robotech: the Macross Saga RPG. Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but with all RT merchandising basically ignoring anything that isn't Macross these days, it'd be a small tragedy for the RPG to follow suit.

jingizu999 wrote:This late in the licence life, all they can really do is put existing characters, mecha, and stories to a new mechanical system. From the quick glance I've been able to give it, the game looks to be going for a very different experience than what most of us are probably used to with Palladium.

From what I've seen of it, there's nothing particularly remarkable there... except for a few eyebrow-raisers in the mecha that are mainly of the "what were they thinking?" variety.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I'm going to say this - because apparently I am not in the majority: I have never used Macross II rules for my Robotech games. Not even for my 'more homebrew' style games. It has always been Robotech for 1e and now 2e. And I prefer the both Southern Cross and Masters Saga for character creation.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tiree wrote:I'm going to say this - because apparently I am not in the majority: I have never used Macross II rules for my Robotech games. Not even for my 'more homebrew' style games. It has always been Robotech for 1e and now 2e. And I prefer the both Southern Cross and Masters Saga for character creation.

*fistbump*
I don't really do Robotech much. But when I do, I prefer to be in the Masters era, it is personally my favorite one as well.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Tiree wrote:I'm going to say this - because apparently I am not in the majority: I have never used Macross II rules for my Robotech games. Not even for my 'more homebrew' style games. It has always been Robotech for 1e and now 2e. And I prefer the both Southern Cross and Masters Saga for character creation.

I'm honestly not sure it's a thing the majority does anymore.

Using Macross II to expand the Robotech RPG was a popular thing in the mid-to-late 90's but seemed to largely die out by about 2002. Once the RPG fan sites started to proliferate it was the designs from Macross artbooks and video games that replaced it as the most often "borrowed" material. Macross Plus and Macross 7 got hit pretty hard, but it was mostly designs which were done for Macross video games and Kawamori's Advanced Valkyrie concept series that were being used. The few examples that haven't gone defunct yet, like Robotech Research, use a good deal of material from Advanced Valkyrie and Macross 2036 as well as a number of old concept materials from artbooks like the Earth Trekker proto-destroids and even the very earliest "Breast Fighter" concept that evolved into the VF-1.

Nowadays, I suppose it's mostly going the other direction with fans homebrewing Macross RPGs using the Macross II and/or Robotech RPG Macross Saga sourcebook as a starting point.

Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

I have seen folks use Macross II Marduk as a badguy in games. Usually as a splinter group of the Robotech Masters. But those games are always fleeting and few between. Usually the games sit somewhere in the holes of the original series. Reconstruction Era, Aftermath of the Masters, Rise of the Invid, and Return of the Invid. Then of course there are "Sentinels" as well, which never really seem to happen.

As for the Homebrew Mecha using Concept Art, heck everyone does that all over the place. Extremely common to do the same with Star Wars.

As for Masters being the best setting - no it's not my favorite. But the character creation process is superb compared to 1e and even 2e. There are some problems still with 2e (Especially with MDC hit locations). But Marker hit it out of the park in writing and style.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Well... after reading the v0.3 playtest Alpha of the new Robotech RPG, I'm not the slightest bit convinced this game is going to take off. What a frigging mess.

Tiree wrote:Then of course there are "Sentinels" as well, which never really seem to happen.

Amusingly, nearly 100% of the fanmade attempts I've seen at rewriting Macross II's mecha into Robotech have tried to make the VF-2SS, VF-2JA, and so on into Sentinels mecha.

Tiree wrote:As for the Homebrew Mecha using Concept Art, heck everyone does that all over the place. Extremely common to do the same with Star Wars.

Usually they use concept art from the series the game is from... you don't see many Star Wars games using Star Trek concept art for ships, or vice versa.

Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Tiree wrote:As for the Homebrew Mecha using Concept Art, heck everyone does that all over the place. Extremely common to do the same with Star Wars.

Usually they use concept art from the series the game is from... you don't see many Star Wars games using Star Trek concept art for ships, or vice versa.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was referencing Star Wars concept art, in the Star Wars RPG.

I can see why people would want to use Macross II Mecha for Sentinels, it just doesn't do it for me. But then again, over the course of my 30+ RPG years of playing Robotech (and it is my go to RPG), Sentinels has always been an after thought. Playing in the Series, even more of an after thought. Players wanted to be doing their own thing. They really wanted to do more world building, and for them that really meant after the Masters Saga or after New Generation; where the REF/UEEF/ASC were practically non-existent.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”