Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Post subject: Examples of Cults
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Does anyone know where I can find information about specific cults? Some examples of them? I seem to recall reading about some contemporary cults and their leaders, but I can't remember where that was now. It wasn't in any Palladium Fantasy or Rifts source material. That much I remember. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Examples of Cults
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am

Dungeon Crawler

death cult or something like that in the juicer uprising book

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

rosco60559 wrote:
death cult or something like that in the juicer uprising book

No, it wasn't in anything for Rifts. I just can't recall where I saw it... :(

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:09 am

Knight

Dead reign has a lot of death cult stuff/ beyond the supernatural also deals with cults and a lot of BTS rifter materials is cult related.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

kaid wrote:
Dead reign has a lot of death cult stuff/ beyond the supernatural also deals with cults and a lot of BTS rifter materials is cult related.

Ya, BTS does have a lot of info about cults, but it's all generalized. I vividly remember reading some stuff about cults, to include information on their leaders and even the leaders' names, but I can't seem to remember just WHERE I read that info. Frustrating....

I checked out Dead Reign like you suggested and although it wasn't the material I remember, it is helpful, so THANKS!

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
The Republicans - I personally presented them as Cultists clinging to the old world in Washington DC area.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:59 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Tiree wrote:
The Republicans - I personally presented them as Cultists clinging to the old world in Washington DC area.

Extremely unwise, classless, offensive and uncalled for to disparage almost half of the population and ignite a firestorm on the forum. Keep your political opinions to your Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am

Knight

I think what you are thinking about may have been from a rifter. In thinking about this I am pretty sure one rifter had a whole bunch of BTS cults that were pretty specific. I can't recall which rifter it was unfortunately.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
kaid wrote:
I think what you are thinking about may have been from a rifter. In thinking about this I am pretty sure one rifter had a whole bunch of BTS cults that were pretty specific. I can't recall which rifter it was unfortunately.

Rifter 34 has the Dark Brotherhood. Might be what you're looking for.

Ultimate Insider - World Book 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - World Book 34: Northern Gun 2
Proud Showdown Level Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Warshield73 wrote:
kaid wrote:

I couldn't find it in there. I even searched for the words "brotherhood" and "cult" got a few unrelated hits.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
there is a little bit about them in that multipart 'destroy the rune glaive' adventure, when dealing with Utu. I'll check my copy of mysteries of magic in a bit, to see if there's anything in there too.

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
there is a little bit about them in that multipart 'destroy the rune glaive' adventure, when dealing with Utu. I'll check my copy of mysteries of magic in a bit, to see if there's anything in there too.

Good suggestion! I'm reviewing my copy now and already see some pertinent material.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Jack Burton wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
kaid wrote:

I couldn't find it in there. I even searched for the words "brotherhood" and "cult" got a few unrelated hits.

Page 20 of Rifter 36. It's a really good adventure, I have even been planning to modify it for use with a mystically oriented Heroes Unlimited game I am going to run at a convention.

Ultimate Insider - World Book 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - World Book 34: Northern Gun 2
Proud Showdown Level Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
The original Palladium Fantasy book (1st edition) in the section sbout religion had terms from the leaders of cults and churches.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
Jack Burton wrote:
Tiree wrote:

Extremely unwise, classless, offensive and uncalled for to disparage almost half of the population and ignite a firestorm on the forum. Keep your political opinions to your Twitter feed and Facebook page.

I appreciate the kind reminder not to flame and place political opinions on the forum. But I assure you that this is not the case, as even though I have opinions about politics, it was not my intent with my comment.

As I mentioned, I presented the Republicans as a group of Cultists in my games. This was well before the changes that Kevin brought forth within the Rifts Canon. But like him, the little five second blurb about Republicans in the Rifts Main Book, for me, spawned a huge story arc that brought lots of creativity and fun.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Adventurer

how about the Old Ones book? It involves the....Old Ones, so there's probably something there in with the Minotaurs

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Adventurer

Jack Burton wrote:
Tiree wrote:

:roll: He just obviously expanded upon what was in the book...

RMB pg. 146 wrote:
The city of Washington is in ruins, although a thriving tech-center, calling itself the "Republicans," lays claim to the old ruins and subterranean tunnels of the old subways. They are a growing power in the East (60% human; little magic, but heavy on all forms of augmentation and psionics).

EDIT: Never mind, I see that Tiree responded, already

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Tiree, my sincerest apologies to you. As I am not a Rifts guy, the reference was lost on me. I saw that as a real life political reference, which when I coupled with the comment of "Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian" in your profile, led me to believe it was. Anyhow, although I don't play Rifts, I do own Rifts Sourcebook One and did some research. I'm stunned that Kevin would use the term "Republicans" in a sourcebook! Last year at GenCon, he and I had a long discussion about writing material that didn't offend or alienate, so I would've never guessed in a million years he'd use the name of an actual political party.

As many of us are, I'm sick of the political hatred and vitriol we see everyday around us coming from all directions. It seems I can't go more than two hours without reading an article or hearing a story about how someone was offended or discriminated against or how celebrity X called out politician Y on Twitter for (insert outrage here) and wished them to go die and rot. Life is too short for all the bomb-throwing around us. Anyhow, I'm very sorry for not knowing the Rifts backstory.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Jack Burton wrote:
Tiree, my sincerest apologies to you. As I am not a Rifts guy, the reference was lost on me. I saw that as a real life political reference, which when I coupled with the comment of "Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian" in your profile, led me to believe it was. Anyhow, although I don't play Rifts, I do own Rifts Sourcebook One and did some research. I'm stunned that Kevin would use the term "Republicans" in a sourcebook! Last year at GenCon, he and I had a long discussion about writing material that didn't offend or alienate, so I would've never guessed in a million years he'd use the name of an actual political party.

re·pub·li·can
adjective
1. (of a form of government, constitution, etc.) belonging to, or characteristic of a republic.

In a post-apocalyptic setting located in and on the ruins of a once-great Republic, the term makes sense for anybody who wanted to see that Republic rise again, or who was trying to form a Republic based on their understanding of that long-gone past.
While it's easy to see a connection to the modern-day political party, they don't own exclusive rights to that word.

Now, if he'd also had a rival faction called "The Democrats".... I think that'd be a bit too close to home.
But on the other hand, if he called his fictional community "The Democrats," with no mention of rival Republicans, that would have been about as appropriate as naming them "The Republicans," except that we're more of a republic than a true democracy.

Quote:
As many of us are, I'm sick of the political hatred and vitriol we see everyday around us coming from all directions.

Indeed.
:ok:

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:16 pm

D-Bee

Comment: "Graveyard Stuffers"
I find it kind of hard to believe that somebody who doesn't like Rifts would be on the Palladium forums in the first place. It's only their most popular game.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

ArchagentEverlasting wrote:
I find it kind of hard to believe that somebody who doesn't like Rifts would be on the Palladium forums in the first place. It's only their most popular game.

Dunno what to say. You got me dead to rights on that one. Palladium offers much more than just one game.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Adventurer

ArchagentEverlasting wrote:

I like about all of them except Rifts myself. we're here, and we're still playing...just not that one.