Map of the Anvil Galaxy

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Anthanatos
D-Bee

Map of the Anvil Galaxy

Unread post by Anthanatos »

I'm working on revising a map I made of the Anvil Galaxy, and wanted to see if (1) Anyone is interested in such a map, and (2) How I would go about posting if the answer to (1) is Yes.

I've incorporated some of the fan races/empires, and have made a 2D map with a 3D coordinate system for calculating distance. For those empires I don't have much information on, they have been given an area of space based on information available, without having any assigned star system coordinates. As the Anvil Galaxy is 20,000 LY across, this was by far the easier one to do, and as it has a depth of less than 1000 LY, a 3D map, although cool, would be just eye candy and in any event beyond my capabilities.

The map itself is 17 pages (1 overview, 16 for each section of galaxy), along with a few pages of X, Y, Z coordinates.

Long time player and fan of RIFTS since the beginning, although I rarely post. Let me know.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Map of the Anvil Galaxy

Unread post by Jorick »

Anthanatos wrote:I'm working on revising a map I made of the Anvil Galaxy, and wanted to see if (1) Anyone is interested in such a map, and (2) How I would go about posting if the answer to (1) is Yes.

I've incorporated some of the fan races/empires, and have made a 2D map with a 3D coordinate system for calculating distance. For those empires I don't have much information on, they have been given an area of space based on information available, without having any assigned star system coordinates. As the Anvil Galaxy is 20,000 LY across, this was by far the easier one to do, and as it has a depth of less than 1000 LY, a 3D map, although cool, would be just eye candy and in any event beyond my capabilities.

The map itself is 17 pages (1 overview, 16 for each section of galaxy), along with a few pages of X, Y, Z coordinates.

Long time player and fan of RIFTS since the beginning, although I rarely post. Let me know.

I think that would be cool. I would prefer a canon version, as I know I'd look at every label on the map and try and find what it referent in the book. There's a great Rifts North America map stickied in the Rifts forum, and it has a town named "Blackberry" in the Fed of Magic, and I can't get a hold of the author to determine its origin. Thinking about it stresses me out. :-)

I'll enjoy it however you make it, though. I like cool creations.

EDIT: answer 2. Depending on file size, you could share them all with google drive or similar cloud storage. You could post the overview map (reduced size?) on Deviant Art or a similar page. I think others who have shared content would be good to ask. Hotrod (I believe) on these forums went from making and sharing maps he made for fun to making official maps for the books. If you can get a hold of the guy who made the Rifts map I referenced above (he has a Rifts blog in Catalan, so I assume he's from around Barcelona), please also tell him I need him.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I am intrigued,
Please continue. :bandit: :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Anthanatos
D-Bee

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y-mUxT ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qtn-z9 ... sp=sharing

Never did any link sharing, so I hope these links work. The first is to the map itself, the second is a list of coordinates and the source material they are from, along with page numbers.

The resources without reference materials/page numbers just have names, i.e., "Zyganian," and can be found on the forums.

The only two locations that are nor referenced in other resource material are "Lemuria" and "Harmony."

Lemuria is a planet settled by Lemurians fleeing Earth thanks to their Atlantean neighbors draining of Earth's magic. 70% oceans, tropical, beautiful place. Annexed by Altess, as pre-atrocity wreckage of Altess ship located beneath oceans.

Harmony is a paradise world that is hidden within a nebula, also annexed by Altess.

Hope you enjoy the map!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Yow-zah...the hand-penciled charts give it a nice 'tramp starship' feel...like something you might find taped above the command console of an intrepid small starship's pilot's seat. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Anthanatos
D-Bee

Yeah, have computer limitations and have never found a good program for making galaxy maps. Played around with some different mapping programs for fantasy games but haven't found anything good for sci-fi galaxy or solar system maps.

Played around with some 3d graphing programs for galaxies, but again computer limitations made them sluggish when they didn't freeze up, so not an option.

In any case, since the Anvil is less than 1000 LY thick (disc? bulge?), 2D is sufficient. For Thundercloud or Corkscrew 3D likely more a necessity.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Thank you!
Anthanatos
D-Bee

Welcome! Hope it enhances your games!

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”