Morphus Combat bonuses

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Valbarca
D-Bee

Morphus Combat bonuses

Unread post by Valbarca »

So I know that the morphus uses the equivalent of Martial Arts as its equivalent combat, +1 attack/action. So that comes to 5 at level one. Also not including anything like boxing if you have that, or extra arms or what not..

I also noted that Ancient night bane have a table from level 16 onward that adds bonuses every level..ie +1 attack or +1 to Morpheus change etc.

Is there something similar for nightbane from level 2-15? I thought I saw a table once and went.. thats awesome and super usefull..but I could of been dreaming...do I just use Martial arts for combat as they level and that's it? Or did I miss something?
Valbarca
D-Bee

Re: Morphus Combat bonuses

Any ideas? Should I post somewhere else... thought I might of a gotten a comment by now :D
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Valbarca wrote:So I know that the morphus uses the equivalent of Martial Arts as its equivalent combat, +1 attack/action. So that comes to 5 at level one. Also not including anything like boxing if you have that, or extra arms or what not..

I also noted that Ancient night bane have a table from level 16 onward that adds bonuses every level..ie +1 attack or +1 to Morpheus change etc.

Is there something similar for nightbane from level 2-15? I thought I saw a table once and went.. thats awesome and super usefull..but I could of been dreaming...do I just use Martial arts for combat as they level and that's it? Or did I miss something?

Do you remember where you saw that table? I don't recall ever seeing one.

To answer your question, yes you just use the HtH: MA table, and your PP bonus and morphus bonuses (if any), unless you have a GM that doesn't care if you add in bonuses from skills as well.
Valbarca
D-Bee

The Beast wrote:
Valbarca wrote:So I know that the morphus uses the equivalent of Martial Arts as its equivalent combat, +1 attack/action. So that comes to 5 at level one. Also not including anything like boxing if you have that, or extra arms or what not..

Do you remember where you saw that table? I don't recall ever seeing one.

To answer your question, yes you just use the HtH: MA table, and your PP bonus and morphus bonuses (if any), unless you have a GM that doesn't care if you add in bonuses from skills as well.

So would you normally say that even boxing doesn't count in morphus form? And I must Have just imagined a table. I would be cool though...ie.. just like the ancient table, just going from levels 1-15
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Correct. None of the skills, with the exception of the HtH form itself, count towards combat bonuses in the morphus form.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The Beast wrote:Correct. None of the skills, with the exception of the HtH form itself, count towards combat bonuses in the morphus form.

Where is this clarified? I thought Martial Arts override whatever HTH you normally had, but otherwise everything carried over.

What about WP?
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:
The Beast wrote:Correct. None of the skills, with the exception of the HtH form itself, count towards combat bonuses in the morphus form.

Where is this clarified? I thought Martial Arts override whatever HTH you normally had, but otherwise everything carried over.

What about WP?

I'm also curious about this, as I wasn't able to find anything that would indicate that during a quick read of the rulebook.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Valbarca
D-Bee

Well you cant pick a HTH fo the morphs.. so it's always Martial arts equivalent. Wp are different..they still add bonouses etc.. and physical skills that bump up physical stats still apply..Im not sure if you get any bonouses to hit or roll etc from physical skills though.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Pg 88
    All Nightbane in Morphus form have innate combat abilities equivalent to hand to hand: martial arts!
    These superior combat skills manifest themselves the moment the transformation is complete.

This alone actually wouldn't mean that Nightbane lost their normal combat skills in Morphus, just that they gained MA and would have the option of using either of them.

Where we actually find the limiting text is in the "Basic Nightbane Skill Package" page 89's left column

this hand to hand ability applies only to the Facade.
    Most Nightbane fight with combat abilities equal to basic martial arts combat when in their Morphus shape;
    an innate, instinctual ability.

That "most" is rather interesting. Not "all". 88 says "all" have innate abilities equivalent to martial arts, but here 89 says merely "most" fight with them when in Morphus. So perhaps SOME can ALSO fight with hand to hand skills other than HTH Martial Arts?

Probably the most elegant solution would be (much like Zero G combat) having to buy combat skills separately for different environments. So having HTH basic in Facade wouldn't give you basic in Morphus, but you could buy basic a 2nd time to ALSO have access to it in Morphus.

89's right column has similar text under the "Resistance/Spook Squad-Trained Nightbane Skill Package":
    This hand to hand applies only to the Nightbane's Facade.

Page 90 is interesting because neither the "Trained Nightbane: Nocturne/Seeker/Lightbringer Skill Package" or "Warlord Nightbane Skill Package" have any sort of disclaimer about the combat skills only applying to facade.

This might be interpreted as the Basic/Resistance/SpookSquad nightbane being limited but the Nocturne/Seeker/LightBringer/WarLord being unlimited.

Page 119 (Nightbane Sorcerer)
    This hand to hand affects the Facade form only;
    the Morphus has natural combat powers roughly equivalent to the martial arts skill.

Page 120 (Nightbane Mystic)
    This selection only affects the Nightbane's Facade;
    the Morphus instinctively knows the equivalent of hand to hand: martial arts.

Both the Sorcerer/Mystic appear to be explicitly limited like the B/R/SS. I prefer to interpret the N/S/LB/WL guys as having a special advantage of being able to use their human HTH in morphus if they want to, since they are disclaimerless packages and the RCC itself has no disclaimers.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:Pg 88
    All Nightbane in Morphus form have innate combat abilities equivalent to hand to hand: martial arts!
    These superior combat skills manifest themselves the moment the transformation is complete.

This alone actually wouldn't mean that Nightbane lost their normal combat skills in Morphus, just that they gained MA and would have the option of using either of them.

Where we actually find the limiting text is in the "Basic Nightbane Skill Package" page 89's left column

this hand to hand ability applies only to the Facade.
    Most Nightbane fight with combat abilities equal to basic martial arts combat when in their Morphus shape;
    an innate, instinctual ability.

That "most" is rather interesting. Not "all". 88 says "all" have innate abilities equivalent to martial arts, but here 89 says merely "most" fight with them when in Morphus. So perhaps SOME can ALSO fight with hand to hand skills other than HTH Martial Arts?

Probably the most elegant solution would be (much like Zero G combat) having to buy combat skills separately for different environments. So having HTH basic in Facade wouldn't give you basic in Morphus, but you could buy basic a 2nd time to ALSO have access to it in Morphus.

89's right column has similar text under the "Resistance/Spook Squad-Trained Nightbane Skill Package":
    This hand to hand applies only to the Nightbane's Facade.

Page 90 is interesting because neither the "Trained Nightbane: Nocturne/Seeker/Lightbringer Skill Package" or "Warlord Nightbane Skill Package" have any sort of disclaimer about the combat skills only applying to facade.

This might be interpreted as the Basic/Resistance/SpookSquad nightbane being limited but the Nocturne/Seeker/LightBringer/WarLord being unlimited.

Page 119 (Nightbane Sorcerer)
    This hand to hand affects the Facade form only;
    the Morphus has natural combat powers roughly equivalent to the martial arts skill.

Page 120 (Nightbane Mystic)
    This selection only affects the Nightbane's Facade;
    the Morphus instinctively knows the equivalent of hand to hand: martial arts.

Both the Sorcerer/Mystic appear to be explicitly limited like the B/R/SS. I prefer to interpret the N/S/LB/WL guys as having a special advantage of being able to use their human HTH in morphus if they want to, since they are disclaimerless packages and the RCC itself has no disclaimers.
Possible. The bigger question is about things like boxing or WPs, which I have never seen a reason to exclude.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Nightbane®”