BtS2 Magic!

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

BtS2 Magic!

Unread post by Jack Burton »

I just saw in the Palladium newsletter that Kevin S. may playtest some magic rules at the open house for BtS2! How awesome would that be? Wonderful to see that BtS2 magic hasn't been forgotten! I'd love to be a part of that game at the Open House! :ok:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: BtS2 Magic!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is good that he is finally working on magic source book for BTS2.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It is good that he is finally working on magic source book for BTS2.

And very encouraging he mentions it in an unsolicited comment. Arcanum will breath new life into the BtS line. We can do without the bestiary book for the time being. It's much easier to adapt monsters and entities from elsewhere in the Megaverse than it is to make up fundamental rules willy-nilly. I'm excited!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

A book on BtS,s Magic is more Important then any other BtS,s book.
I hope Arcanum gets some focus from Palladium books.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

gaby wrote:A book on BtS,s Magic is more Important then any other BtS,s book.
I hope Arcanum gets some focus from Palladium books.

I to would like some focus too.
"Some" defined as: far enough to get the book published.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Awesome news!
Off the top of my head these are things I would like to see:
Keep ley lines, places of power, nexus points, rules for equinoxes/solstices/other days of power.
Cults. Evil/good/nature-based cults.
More than one magic-casting PC class.
Don't allow arcanist spells to duplicate psionic abilities as much as 1rst edition.
Witch Covens (different from cults as Covens consist of members that can all use magic while cults should have higher ranking magic-using member and lower-ranking flunkies; at least that's how it works in my mind!)
Shadowy supernatural puppet-masters. In my BTS world the Goquoa are behind many events, competing with each other over bragging rights using a complicated set of rules of setting up events and when they can and cannot interfere. The Goquoa are great.
Ancient cities, ruins, books, artifacts, languages etc.

Just some ideas from a wishlist.
dataweaver
Adventurer

Unread post by dataweaver »

In the meantime, I've been using the Sorcerer and Mystic from Nightbane (as well as the Acolyte and Channeller from Through the Glass Darkly) to handle magic in BtS2e games.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Is there any updates on this?
Did said playtest occur?
Is anything known of the possibility of material? Even in the Rifter or a thin book like the early DR and CE books?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:Is there any updates on this?
Did said playtest occur?
Is anything known of the possibility of material? Even in the Rifter or a thin book like the early DR and CE books?

The playtest did not occur, which bummed me out! He said new BtS material is something he wants to do, but he says that about everything. Unknown at this point...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Jack Burton wrote:
Did said playtest occur?

The playtest did not occur, which bummed me out! He said new BtS material is something he wants to do, but he says that about everything. Unknown at this point...

Except Mechanoids Space... that isnt being released until that guy passes away. :roll:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:
Did said playtest occur?

Except Mechanoids Space... that isnt being released until that guy passes away. :roll:

Ahhhh... I didn't want to bring up Mechanoids Space out of respect for you!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:
Did said playtest occur?

Ahhhh... I didn't want to bring up Mechanoids Space out of respect for you!

Lol... at least I'm not the guy who has to die before its published. So mean Kevin and the guys tease him like that
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

I cant go into details, but I will say that Kevin and I were talking about this a week or two back. The book will come, and I will be helping him write it. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Looking forward to it.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

mrloucifer wrote:I cant go into details, but I will say that Kevin and I were talking about this a week or two back. The book will come, and I will be helping him write it. :)

Best news I've heard all day!
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Did you all pick up on something that appeared in last week's Palladium Weekly Update? In his closing thoughts, Kevin said that after they get some books out, they'll focus on their 4 primary game lines, which are Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, Palladium Fantasy and Beyond the Supernatural. I can only hope that Kevin has recommitted to supporting the BTS line like it should be. There's so much incredible potential there!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:Did you all pick up on something that appeared in last week's Palladium Weekly Update? In his closing thoughts, Kevin said that after they get some books out, they'll focus on their 4 primary game lines, which are Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, Palladium Fantasy and Beyond the Supernatural. I can only hope that Kevin has recommitted to supporting the BTS line like it should be. There's so much incredible potential there!

WHAT no he needs to focus on Robotech, Macross II, TMNT and Recon. :P :) Oh and Mechanoids. :lol:
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:Did you all pick up on something that appeared in last week's Palladium Weekly Update? In his closing thoughts, Kevin said that after they get some books out, they'll focus on their 4 primary game lines, which are Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, Palladium Fantasy and Beyond the Supernatural. I can only hope that Kevin has recommitted to supporting the BTS line like it should be. There's so much incredible potential there!

WHAT no he needs to focus on Robotech, Macross II, TMNT and Recon. :P :) Oh and Mechanoids. :lol:

You go to your room. You know what you've done.

:-P
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”