High-AR SDC beings from Rifts to use in SDC games?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

High-AR SDC beings from Rifts to use in SDC games?

Unread post by Axelmania »

High natural AR seems kinda hard to come by in some SDC games, and where it can be found it's probably well known locally.

High natural AR is easy to overlook in MDC games though, and players of SDC games where it would matter more may not be familiar with Rifts books.

I'm wondering what examples people can think of high natural AR beings that can be found in MDC games which could be ported to SDC settings for very impressive effects.

I recently noticed the Septumbrans on Rifts World Book 30 page 178, who have an AR of 15, for example. Rifts World Book 9 page 155 had an AR of 16 for the Amaki.

Off-hand I can't remember anything else like this, but I was hoping anyone could help brainstorm other impressive examples.

For comparison, the super power of Force Aura only has a NAR of 14. Stuff like APS Ice/Metal/Stone are generally better because of their invulnerability to normal attacks, despite only having a similarly high AR.

It makes me wonder how races like these invading en masse would upset a balance of power compared to NARless (or very low NAR) creatures.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: High-AR SDC beings from Rifts to use in SDC games?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

What range does one consider high AR though?

Just flipping through WB30 D-Bees of North America yields additionally the:
Yeno (pg216) with an AR of 19 via Force Field (pretty impressive IINM)
Obsedai (pg152-4) with an AR of 16
Dirari Ecto-man (pg66-71) with an AR of 16

A few more could be added depending on when you consider "high AR" to start. Loak's can range from 10-14 w/o the Bio-Armor, and several more fall in the 10-14 range. The main problem with a lot of Rifts races and creatures is that they don't always provide SDC conversions for MDC races, meaning you'd have to go to RCB1r and work out SDC/HP & AR.
Axelmania
Knight

I guess we could say anything above 10 is high?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The thing is, due to the conversion rules/ideas/guidelines races with NAR in Rifts end up reduced when entering a SDC setting just like how MDC beings are reduced from entering SDC settings.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Where does it mention reducing SDC beings?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Axelmania wrote:Where does it mention reducing SDC beings?

I hate to agree here - the only talk of reducing S.D.C. I'm aware of in Rifts is after doing the conversion from M.D.C. to S.D.C.. The idea of reducing the S.D.C. of an S.D.C. being is either an extrapolation from those guidelines or it's an even wilder extrapolation from the Nightbane Survival Book guidelines for high-S.D.C. Morpheus results. While either guideline estrapolation may make sense for an individual campaign and even be prudent, it's not Rules as Written.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Reducing the SDC of beings with NAR in Rifts was not specifically what I was talking about.
Pattern recognition.
If MDC beings are reduced to SDC & NAR....then reducing the NAR of beings with NAR in Rifts would be held within the same pattern as the reduction of the MDC.

Of course the RCB1 conversion rules hold that GMs do the converting to their own satisfaction.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

The problem with this 'pattern' is that the MDC>SDC thing is often because of the low magical energies and stuff, which doesn't apply to a lot of SDC/AR beings.

We can look at specific examples between Rifts and PF to inform us on this supposed pattern.

June 1998 Second Edition Second Printing of Palladium Fantasy - Monsters and Animals
*95 Grimbor has NAR 6 1D6x50 SDC
*97 Gromek has NAR 14 4D6 SDC
*98 Guunor has NAR 16/19 1D4x100 SDC

November 2002 Rifts Conversion Book Revised
*152 Grimbor has NAR 6 1D6x50 SDC
*154 Gromek has AR 14 4D6 SDC
*155 Gruunor has AR 16/19 1D4x100 SDC

"Natural" is missing from the AR of both the Rifts Gromek and Rifts Gruunor (not the Rifts Grimbor though, that has it!) for some reason, I think it's pretty obvious it's intended to be natural in these cases.

I could probably find more but... maybe you can find some examples of where the SDC or AR of an SDC/AR being in Rifts was reduced in PF?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Just using the AR/SDC/HP conversions LISTED in individual entries (and not the wing-it approach of RCB1r), and my patchwork collection of books here is what I have found for beings with AR of 10+ (some are repeated from above). I did not list all the ARs, this includes races and creatures:
WB30 DBoNA (some are reprints from earlier WBs, I did not duplicate them later as this is the most recent version/writeup)
A'rac AR13 (pg26)
Chasseur Vert AR23 (pg47)
Dirari AR16 (pg36)
Greot Hunter AR12 (pg99)
Larmac AR12 (pg119)
Loak AR10-13 (pg124)
Mastadonoid AR10 (pg134)
Obsedai AR16 (pg152)
Septumbrans AR15 (pg178)
Shale Bogles AR10 (pg181)
Yeno AR10/19 (pg216 Force Field Special)
Zenith Moon Warper AR10 (pg221)

WB26 DS
Mutant Barbarian RCC (pg 67, mutation options)

WB21 SDM
Kryygorth's Lesson AR14 (pg76, 1/2 when emancipated?)
Octo-Man AR11 (pg81)
Plant People AR10 (pg84)

WB20 Canada
Windigo (pg177), Wishpoosh (pg179), Sedna (pg175), Demon Bear (pg171) Fury Beetle (pg153) creatures with AR 10+
Spirit Sasquatch AR12 (pg162, other variants have lower)

WB7 US
Sperm Whale (pg88), Humpback Whale (pg91) variable AR range (some might qualify)

WB9 SA1
Amaki AR16 (pg155)

WB14 NW
Desert Sleepers (pg139), Devil Unicron (pg140), Duckbill Honkers (pg141)Giant Canyon Worm (pg143), Great Dream Snakes (pg144)Grigleapers (pg147), Gwylack (pg147), Leatherwing (pg148), Mammoth Brontodon (pg150), Moss-back Scuttler (pg152), Oborus-Slither (pg152), Ostrosaurus (pg153), Panthera-Tereon (pg156), Rhino-Buffalo (pg159), Silonar (pg160), Tree-Spiders (pg164), Tri-Tops (pg165), T-Rex (pg166)Whisker Coyote (pg168) creatures with AR 10+
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

ShadowLogan wrote:What range does one consider high AR though?

Just flipping through WB30 D-Bees of North America yields additionally the:
Yeno (pg216) with an AR of 19 via Force Field (pretty impressive IINM)
Obsedai (pg152-4) with an AR of 16
Dirari Ecto-man (pg66-71) with an AR of 16

A few more could be added depending on when you consider "high AR" to start. Loak's can range from 10-14 w/o the Bio-Armor, and several more fall in the 10-14 range. The main problem with a lot of Rifts races and creatures is that they don't always provide SDC conversions for MDC races, meaning you'd have to go to RCB1r and work out SDC/HP & AR.

Yeno has a natural AR of 10. The AR 19 applies to the force field and it is not a natural AR as defined by the rules. The AR 19 is an armor AR.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”