Was there a change in Dead Reign canon?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Was there a change in Dead Reign canon?

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

The Dead Reign main book states that a zombie must kill you for you to become a zombie, states so on page 29. Graveyard Earth however states on page 13 that people dying from starvation and exposure become zombies. And page 14 from Hell Followed also implies that people who die come back regardless. Which one is it guys?
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Was there a change in Dead Reign canon?

Unread post by eliakon »

Unfortunate Son wrote:The Dead Reign main book states that a zombie must kill you for you to become a zombie, states so on page 29. Graveyard Earth however states on page 13 that people dying from starvation and exposure become zombies. And page 14 from Hell Followed also implies that people who die come back regardless. Which one is it guys?

This sounds like bad editing
The original manuscripts had a 'Z-Virus' that was transmitted by zombie bites. Though that turned you right away (think HSotD which might be the reason it got nixed to be honest)
This... this sounds like someone has been watching too much Walking Dead
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Unfortunate Son wrote:The Dead Reign main book states that a zombie must kill you for you to become a zombie, states so on page 29. Graveyard Earth however states on page 13 that people dying from starvation and exposure become zombies. And page 14 from Hell Followed also implies that people who die come back regardless. Which one is it guys?

I suppose if a zombie breaks down your door, ruining the insulation of your home, and you freeze to death, they did technically cause your death...

Or if a flesh-eating zombie eats your pig and you were going to eat that pig, that it did technically enact your starvation...

As-is, you can possibly turn zombie from an injected bite causing zombie rot...

Or maybe even if you bleed to death from a zombie wound.

Zombies can use weapons so it's not like contact is needed. Only the idea that they caused your death, influenced it somehow, even if it was by directing the movement of a weapon.

If a zombie manipulating a physical object (some can even use guns!) counts as them killing you, then them manipulating objects in other ways (wrecking your house, killing the captive humans you were planning to cannibalize) and cause your death counting seems reasonable.

It doesn't mean ANYONE dying from exposure/starvation turns, maybe it only applies if a zombie caused those things.
Osun
D-Bee

Unread post by Osun »

I can't find the zvirus in my book is it in a source book
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Osun wrote:I can't find the zvirus in my book is it in a source book

No, he said the "original manuscript." Dead Reign was changed by the time it was put into print.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

My first guess is that Matthew Clements just forgot the specifics of what Hilden and Sanford wrote in the core book, but there's still a way out...

Unfortunate Son wrote:Graveyard Earth however states on page 13 that people dying from starvation and exposure become zombies.

Firstly I noticed in the left column under "Mexican border" in the section continued from previous page about US West Coast that:
    Some survivors looking for help are gunned down by unsure border guards, only to rise up as zombies.
This seems pretty off, as that should only happen with people who are Half-Living...

What you refer to is under US Pacific North West under "Idaho and Montana":
    And when people die from exposure, injury or starvation, they turn into zombies that wander across the wilderness

This again, should only happen to the Half-Living.

I would be the first to say "Half-Living are people too!" so since this only says "some survivors" (not ALL survivors) and "people" (not ALL people) we can simply assume that these statements refer to Half-Living, and that non-Half-Living people do not rise when they die from injuries (like gunshots), exposure or starvation.

That or... there might be something unique going on along the Mexican border / Idaho / Montana which causes the rules to operate differently, making for a fun setting but with rules which do not carry over to other areas in the world.

Unfortunate Son wrote:page 14 from Hell Followed also implies that people who die come back regardless.

Could you provide the text you're referring to?

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”