Whats your favorite vehicle on Rifts Earth, from the books?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Whats your favorite vehicle on Rifts Earth, from the books?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

My players usually preferred to start with something basic like the ATV's from the first rule book. Then they'd upgrade to light hover vehicles when they had some money.
After we got the Mercenary book they started using converted tanks and APC's because they were cost effective and easy to modify. GAW Humvees were usually popular.
The first campaign we ran was the only time we forgot to assign driver skills. Had to hire a driver NPC with poor combat skills who wanted lots of money. After that, players always remembered they needed transportation to get around and picked useful skills.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

Re: Whats your favorite vehicle on Rifts Earth, from the boo

Stuff similar to this:
http://i.imgur.com/GiNYjmC.jpg

(not mine, stolen from Blogspot)
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

I like the Combat Truck and Dunebuggy (forget the official names atm) in the Arzno book. Not fancy or anything, I just like the look and the practicality of well designed basic vehicles.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've had quite a few characters in customized MZ-10 Crusaders.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
SycophantNagaraja
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by SycophantNagaraja »

Mountaineer and the Big Boss from the main book are usually popular. Also the MZ-10 Crusader that Jefffar mentioned was one that got a lot of play
http://prophetx.deviantart.com

"You did 264 MD to the guys head, and you think you could capture his helmet intact?" - Killer Cyborg
I just remembered, I forgot the rule of headshots doing x2 damage. That should have been 528MD." -Lord_Coake
DarkonSlayer
D-Bee

Unread post by DarkonSlayer »

"Rolling Thunder" All-Purpose Vehicle, pg 84 World book 10 Juicer uprising.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

GAW retrofitted vehicles.

When ever traveling into the building, or under ground complex, or magical portal the vehicles need to stay outside ... Just don't feel comfortable leaving anything else behind.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Favorite? The never-gonna-afford-it Galapagos Submersible Robot. It is Gamera: the APC.

Favorite that I can get? Don't really have one. I take what I can get and don't think too much about it.
Given the option I favor armor over guns (don't want the vehicle drawing more fire by having a big gun), and technology over magic.
Air vs. land breaks even (superior mobility vs. harder to drive; fly fast vs. drive continuously; easier to run away vs. easier to spot and shoot at) and while being able to go over water is always nice it's very campaign-specific (and there's SCARY stuff down there).
Electric/nuclear only (There are maybe 2 canonical sources of oil in the world? no idea how fuel gets anywhere on rifts earth)
Generally its Mountaneer, because main books.

Also, Zombies can drive cars, so necromancy is *always* an option. Not like that CS grunt you just murderhobo'd was doing anything else with his corpse...
Shorty Lickens
Hero

boring7 wrote:Favorite? The never-gonna-afford-it Galapagos Submersible Robot. It is Gamera: the APC.

Favorite that I can get? Don't really have one. I take what I can get and don't think too much about it.
Given the option I favor armor over guns (don't want the vehicle drawing more fire by having a big gun), and technology over magic.
Air vs. land breaks even (superior mobility vs. harder to drive; fly fast vs. drive continuously; easier to run away vs. easier to spot and shoot at) and while being able to go over water is always nice it's very campaign-specific (and there's SCARY stuff down there).
Electric/nuclear only (There are maybe 2 canonical sources of oil in the world? no idea how fuel gets anywhere on rifts earth)

Also, Zombies can drive cars, so necromancy is *always* an option. Not like that CS grunt you just murderhobo'd was doing anything else with his corpse...

Sooo, your characters generally prefer power armor and robots?

And for reference Twilight 2000 also existed in Post-Apocalypse Earth. They used alcohol instead of petroleum. Which would also make more sense in Rifts but I don't think Kevin S. considered it.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

If I can get one, hands down my favorite is the WR-5050 Super Cargo Hauler. Get it modified by a Techno-Wizard or an Operator, and that becomes a nice ride.
Shorty Lickens
Hero

wyrmraker wrote:If I can get one, hands down my favorite is the WR-5050 Super Cargo Hauler. Get it modified by a Techno-Wizard or an Operator, and that becomes a nice ride.

NEW QUESTION!

Has anybody ever used a techno-wizard, bio-wizard, or magic vehicle as their regular transportation throughout a campaign?
I just realized that the CS war against Tolkeen brought us a whole bunch of new magic vehicles but nobody in my groups ever tried using them.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Shorty Lickens wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:If I can get one, hands down my favorite is the WR-5050 Super Cargo Hauler. Get it modified by a Techno-Wizard or an Operator, and that becomes a nice ride.

NEW QUESTION!

Has anybody ever used a techno-wizard, bio-wizard, or magic vehicle as their regular transportation throughout a campaign?
I just realized that the CS war against Tolkeen brought us a whole bunch of new magic vehicles but nobody in my groups ever tried using them.

Sadly, I have not personally been able to do that. I hope to soon with my Nerf Warrior TW character, but I'll have to wait and see if thew GM pulls some hinky, dodgy crap with stealing or terminally damaging the vehicle.
boring7
Explorer

Unread post by boring7 »

Shorty Lickens wrote:
boring7 wrote:Favorite? The never-gonna-afford-it Galapagos Submersible Robot. It is Gamera: the APC.

Sooo, your characters generally prefer power armor and robots?

And for reference Twilight 2000 also existed in Post-Apocalypse Earth. They used alcohol instead of petroleum. Which would also make more sense in Rifts but I don't think Kevin S. considered it.

Nah, giant robots tend to have too many guns on them. Plus they're usually slow as heck. And we *do* like having cargo space. The vehicle is inherently supposed to be a platform to get from A to B, when something attacks the gang either runs away or gets out to fight.

Things might be different if we were better versed in vehicle combat, and if it weren't really expensive to fix the car but functionally free to fix the magic fullplate.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

The Northern Gun Pathmaker, first only found in the revised edition of Sourcebook One, but now in the NG books. Lots of options, particularly for those who need a mobile lab or workshop, and it is somewhat amphibious.
As well as the TW Turbo Wingboard from the first Coalition Wars book, as it isnt bound to Ley Lines.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
IGNG
Wanderer

Unread post by IGNG »

boring7 wrote:*snip*

Just to elaborate, we just uparmored our mountaineer and put a popgun on it. Its nice being able to drive into the city and park in a public garage rather than having to park the giant robot 5-10 miles from the city limits. People are a lot less likely to try to steal/sabotage/vandalize the 500k motorcycle parked in a public lot than the 80 mill Abolisher parked behind a hill in the ass end of nowhere.

A lot of people forget about practicality. The locals are unlikely to appreciate a group just rolling up with enough firepower to level a city block with just the push of a button. And even if they do you still have to be able to fit between buildings. Also the more expensive/powerful the vehicle the more distinctive it is. This is magnified if everyone in the party has their own bot. Sure your enforcer may not be that uncommon but how many groups go around with exactly 3 of them, a NG-V7, and a EX-20? With both of those in mind having the rifts equivalent of a toyota highlander is kinda a big plus. It takes a lot for a vehicle to make up for that.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Shorty Lickens wrote:

NEW QUESTION!

TW are my favorite class so yes I have.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Shamrock 'Slinger
Wanderer

Unread post by Shamrock 'Slinger »

It's a tie between the Rumble Wagon from the Black Market or the Road Buster from Northern Gun 2. The Rumble Wagon is a way better hauler and can get really far on its 3 fuel tanks, plus the electric engine. Only downside is the lack of passenger room by the book edition, some GM handwavium and you can get a crew cab version for an extra charge. Roadbuster has that advantage plus more armor and combat capabilities, it just can't haul as much.
J_cobbers
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by J_cobbers »

I know it's cliche but I love the Glitterboy, and for a personal mode of transportation it is perfect. Let's review in my best car salesman voice:

1) The USA-G10 has lots of armor, more than most other vehicles power armors or even robot vehicles on the market today. Throw in one of the best weapons on the planet and high Robotic strength means you can take and dish out a lot of damage ensuring your survival across a host of Rifts Earth locals. Don't forget that in combat it can deafen your opponents, making it harder for them to function and communicate while you defend yourself or make an escape!

2) Being of a humanoid design it can go anywhere, and is even functional under water! So when roads are missing, if you have to ford a river, or you have to trek through the forest, a lake, tundra, jungle, swamp, you're good to go! The USA-G10 can also make jumps with jet boosted assistance up to 80 feet, and it can climb steep surfaces, great for getting up or over things like small gorges, or ruined buildings that wheeled and tracked vehicles have to go around. Don't forget the ability to over for a limited time up to 12 feet in the air, very handy if falling off any of those buildings or off a cliff! Yes the US

3) The Robotic PS means you can carry a decent amount of gear on it's exterior if fit with an appropriate harness or belts and it has a small storage area and can
store some basics or personal items plus 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 survival knife (make it a vibroblade for a small extra fee!) and a first aid kit. Not bad in my book for a power armor.

4) Tired of having to make pit stops on a long trip? The GB has you covered! The nuclear power source means never having to stop for gas, unless you think you'll be on the road over 25 years. Running for long distances will be a breeze, with the armors assistance you can run 10 times farther than normal. The super yummy on board food paste and water to last your trip, and the built in diaper pilot suit means you don't have to stop for food or potty breaks for days or weeks. Also since it is a one man vehicle, there will be no whiny kids or back seat drivers to annoy you!

5) Finally being in a GB gets you some love from non-CS people, and a reputation that means most won't try to mess with you.
My contribution to the world shall be a meat based vegitable subsitute.
This message brought to you by the Rifts (R) Ogre Party of North America (TM).
Vote Ogre Party 2016, "A 4th Human Baby in Every Pot!"(C)
"Make Babies Taste Great Again"(C)

Return to “Rifts®”