Cyclones and CVR

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aku-Arkaine
Wanderer

Cyclones and CVR

Unread post by Aku-Arkaine »

Maybe I just missed it, but do we get any kind of timeline about when the different versions of CVR and Cyclones are available?

A lot of information from previous sources has implied that the cyclone project began on Earth before the REF left. If that is the case, then are there prototypes floating around the SCA of them like with the Alpha?

Also, has anything been said by official sources as the if the multiple helmet design from CVR-1 was continued for CVR-3? Should was assume this, as I can't see a logical reason for it not to have?
Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Re: Cyclones and CVR

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Well, we've got two books that might be in conflict (or information missing that could address the conflict).

In short, it looks like you could make a case for the Cyclone to at least be in planing stages before the SDF-3 launches, with a technology demonstrator or two laying around. I imagine something more like the Tornado Combat Battle Bike Armor from the Strike Force book in the 1st edition RPG.

According to the Shadow Chronicles book, the original CVR design armor (assuming it is referring to the CVR-1) was designed in 2021, which would put the Cyclone project at least on the design board one year before the SDF-3 launches.

The Shadow Chronicles book also states that the the 030 series of Cyclones was designed in the late 2020s, putting it years past the launch of the SDF-3.

The UEEF Marines book then comes in and states that the need for the a mecha to augment ground troops became clear as the UEEF got closer to Tirol. The Marine book also states that CVR-3 armor (that the 030 series and up uses) isn't developed until 2035. The book also decidedly points out that the CVR-3 armor is not compatible with the 010 series Cyclones, nor is the CVR-1 armor compatible with Cyclones that require CVR-3 (like the afore mentioned 030 series). So, were the early 030 series (30/31/32/etc.) CVR-1 units?

As for the helmets, I don't see why you couldn't wave your GM hand and make it so. If people wanted to get picky, the conations for the helmet systems might be different enough that they wouldn't be compatible.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Aku-Akraine wrote:Also, has anything been said by official sources as the if the multiple helmet design from CVR-1 was continued for CVR-3? Should was assume this, as I can't see a logical reason for it not to have?

Technically we see 2 types of helmet used on CVR-3 connected with Cyclone operation in the animation. Lancer (and Nader Jr) wears a distinct style of helmet compared to the helmet other Cyclone operators use, including Rook and Sue (who may or may not use another helmet type, the only difference between the one they use and Scott/Rand/stock appears to be limited to displayed blacked out panels on the helmet, so if the blackout section indicates something different or not is a POV a this point). The VR-041 users has an over-sized transparent face plate that extends over more than the VR-052/-038 to cover the solid chin guard where the other models don't, plus the cheek pads look off compared to the stock cyclone)

Aku-Akraine wrote:A lot of information from previous sources has implied that the cyclone project began on Earth before the REF left. If that is the case, then are there prototypes floating around the SCA of them like with the Alpha?

Possibly, but likely also going to be very rare. The Cyclone doesn't fill a need for the ASC, they don' have a requirement for an emergency vehicle in their mecha (AFAIK), and they utilize (nt) power armor designs of their own.

Just because the project started on Earth before the UEEF/REF left doesn't mean when they left it had anything practical in terms of prototypes or even numbers or acquiring spare parts.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

I would make the argument that the non transforming walker pa would be around prior to 2022. The 010's and 020's though would be still in the early and very buggy stages
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

One of the issues I have is the incompatibility of CVR armor and Cyclone models between the -010 and the -030, -040, and -050 models. should have made compatible with all with only the space Cyclone models being different.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

As far as I know there is nothing official about the different Riding Armor Helmets on different models, but it would make sense to me for them to be available. It also fits with the general idea of many battlefield units with C3 capabilities mixed in with standard units(VF-1A/J/S for starters).
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

RockJock wrote:As far as I know there is nothing official about the different Riding Armor Helmets on different models, but it would make sense to me for them to be available. It also fits with the general idea of many battlefield units with C3 capabilities mixed in with standard units(VF-1A/J/S for starters).

I just added these helmets to the CVR-3 list as well.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Aku-Arkaine
Wanderer

Unread post by Aku-Arkaine »

I was looking at some MOSPEADA production art today and there are four helmet variants, only two of which Palladium used. There is also a lot of production art for cyclones they didn't use, but also a lot they did for the marines book. Here is the link:

http://www.gearsonline.net/series/mospeada/production/
Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”