Posting adventures here

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jimbo
Wanderer

Posting adventures here

Unread post by Jimbo »

Has anyone posted homebrew adventures here? Is that type of thing even allowed? Would it conflict with copyright or trademark laws? If you posted the stat blocks? Could you use material from the Ritter?
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Re: Posting adventures here

Unread post by wizardofthenorth »

I had a look at the posting guidelines and I see nothing against it. I also recall the below being the gist from various postings in the past.

I do know you cannot post their copyrighted material. So avoid including things like Occ/rcc and Palladium rules and content copied from the pages of their books.

It would be OK to reference said rule or content by book and page number.
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

Thanks Wizard. Your post set me to looking at the posting rules. They seem to be vaguely specific. :lol: I will have to read it over a few more times to let it sink in, cuz the way they make it sound its as if you post something that uses the rule system and give them credit, then they own it.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

They are always looking for new material for the Rifter- write it up and submit it to them!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

I had that thought, but what I have written is more aimed at an introductory level adventure ( ala classic low level d&d) and the places it is going are FAR from canon, even though it uses canon material and a mix of stuff from a couple of older Rifters. Not real sure how that particular mix of elements would be received.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Jimbo wrote:Thanks Wizard. Your post set me to looking at the posting rules. They seem to be vaguely specific. :lol: I will have to read it over a few more times to let it sink in, cuz the way they make it sound its as if you post something that uses the rule system and give them credit, then they own it.

Greetings and Salutations. There's also their internet policy:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... ssion-info

With that said, yeah, it's basically worded that if you post it, they own it and can use it. Wording is similar for the Rifter. This has been enough to make some refuse to post their ideas or submit them.

Palladium has said (or maybe it's just my interpretation, been so many years I can't recall for certain) that the policy is basically a safe guard for them, and they have no intention of stealing anyone's work. They put that their so that if they print idea X, you can't come in and claim you posted it and stole your idea. Basically wording as protection from parallel development.

Whether you believe that or not, or feel it's worth the risk, is up to you. I can tell you I've ran my website for years and never had any problems. However, that's what works for me. Your work is your work, and you have to decide what's right for you.

As for posting stats in the adventures: You should be fine if it's NPC stats or pregen characters, or even some quick monster stats. I think you'd only see problems if you post the entire stat block to the point someone could roll one up from scratch. Basically don't copy and paste the section right out of the book. Use enough a Game Master can run a game, but still need to buy the book for full stats.

Hopefully that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

Without putting to fine a point on it, their internet policy guidelines are not quite correct regarding derivative works.

Derivative works are not automatically owned by them. They do have the right to ask you to desist or remove any of their copyrighted creations or works you may have integrated or derivations you created. But actual ownership is not granted.

It is also important to understand the difference between their work and yours. Your unique characters and story and narrative are your works. That it takes place in the coalition states...fighting brodkil on behalf of emporor prosek...that is their works from which you may have used or derived elements from.

Also...their policy grants you a limited license allowing you to do just that...create derivative works based on their works for non commercial fan purposes...such as creating an RPG adventure and posting in their forums(or online anywhere actually). As long of course you acknowledge ownership of their copyrighted elements.

I will say...other than misunderstanding derivative works, it is a pretty straightforward and clear policy on creating works for fan purposes.

Now...submitting stuff to the rifter is a different story, as they require you to sign a document signing over ownership to them or some such. I will have to look at it again.
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

Gentlemen, thank you for the information. It has been helpful, if less than confidence inspiring. However, I think I may try to do something along these lines anyhow. Worst that can happen is that they say stop it/no.
wizardofthenorth
D-Bee

I look forward to seeing your work. Thank you.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”