Anime/anime characters in your games

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alpha 11
Palladin

Anime/anime characters in your games

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Just wandering if anyone has brought anime/anime characters into your games, and if so, what happened when you did.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Anime/anime characters in your games

Unread post by Glistam »

I had a player once convince me to allow a custom O.C.C. based on Naruto in a Rifts game. It became one of the reasons I heavily dislike fan-made content.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Glistam wrote:I had a player once convince me to allow a custom O.C.C. based on Naruto in a Rifts game. It became one of the reasons I heavily dislike fan-made content.

It was that bad? Can you give some examples?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have made chars with elements drawn from anime. but to make a char *cough*convert*cough* from anime…no.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I allow certain Animestyle things, reason being. Boomgun makes short work of most munchkins.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Alpha 11 wrote:
Glistam wrote:I had a player once convince me to allow a custom O.C.C. based on Naruto in a Rifts game. It became one of the reasons I heavily dislike fan-made content.

It was that bad? Can you give some examples?

It was years ago at this point, so I can't dredge up the specifics. The take-away was that "inspired-by" is fine as long as it stays within the framework of the rules. Writing your own rules to accomodate something can get quickly out of hand. That's not just about anime - it's held up for me regardless of imported genre.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given how freaking god-mode a lot of the special abilities in Naruto can be, even for the 'regular' ninja in the setting (much less the ultra special stuff individual main characters and villains can do), i'm not surprised things went south.

this is one of the reasons my main advice when it comes to using other properties in your game is the same as Glistam. 'inspired by' is fine, 'influenced by' is fine, but conversions, even if the person made an effort to balance things, usually suck. they either replicate the original too much and totally throw the game out of wack in terms of balance or setting feel.. or they end up nerfed/changed to preserve balance and setting feel, and then the players who love the source end up hating it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Well, if they seem to be "god like", why not have play that character at that high a level with godlings, demi-gods, dragons, etc.
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

The Ancient Weapons Master (HU: PU2) is animesque, especially if you add the additional options from Rifter 74.

In addition I had a player whose charcter was an absolute, and slightly insulting, anime fanboy and his powers reflected his obsessions. Bio-armor that resembled Voltron, a flying disk that resembled a cloud, and so on. No change to the mechanics, just the presentation.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I let theme feel powerful for a while, low md attacks in an sdc world for example. Then I send them to Rifts for a dose of humility.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Alpha 11 wrote:Just wandering if anyone has brought anime/anime characters into your games, and if so, what happened when you did.

I rolled up Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, using the Tourist OCC from one of the Rifters.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:Just wandering if anyone has brought anime/anime characters into your games, and if so, what happened when you did.

I rolled up Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, using the Tourist OCC from one of the Rifters.

HAHAHA! I love it! Ryoga was one of my favorite characters.

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Well, the only Palladium Books games that I routinely run are Macross II and a homebrew Macross main continuity game based on it... pretty much everything in my games is technically anime.

The only times I've run into problems have been when players wanted to import material from another anime franchise. I humored them, and trusted in fate and the relative lack of sanity in my regulars to discourage the offender. I let one guy bring a transformable mobile suit from Mobile Suit Gundam into the Macross II setting as a prototype battle suit using the official Gundam specs because he figured the beam rifle was going to be an incredibly overkill weapon. He found out pretty fast that a big gun means little if you're piloting a large, slow target with no anti-missile defense and cooled on the idea very quickly. The same guy wanted to import a Ride Armor from Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, and that actually worked REALLY well for urban combat until he discovered that the riding suit isn't airtight and almost died when he tried to operate it underwater.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Back in the mid to late 90s I ran in a Palladium fantasy campaign that was only anime characters. The main group was playing as the crew for the anime Slayers, so we had Lina, Gourry, Zel, Amelia, Slyphiel and the like. Also had some people play Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma, Inu-Yasha from the manga of the same name, and A-ko from Project A-ko. The GM had seen all the anime, as had most of the players, it was great fun to play. One of the funnest campaigns I can remember from the 90s actually running in (I was on GM duty often), I would play something like that again.

Same GM later did a few adventures in a kind of Dragon Ball Z meets 3 Galaxies. Was also kind of fun.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Jerell wrote:Back in the mid to late 90s I ran in a Palladium fantasy campaign that was only anime characters. The main group was playing as the crew for the anime Slayers, so we had Lina, Gourry, Zel, Amelia, Slyphiel and the like. Also had some people play Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma, Inu-Yasha from the manga of the same name, and A-ko from Project A-ko. The GM had seen all the anime, as had most of the players, it was great fun to play. One of the funnest campaigns I can remember from the 90s actually running in (I was on GM duty often), I would play something like that again.

Same GM later did a few adventures in a kind of Dragon Ball Z meets 3 Galaxies. Was also kind of fun.

That sounds like a blast!

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

It was awesome, it was not uncommon to face down a battalion of regular Orcs/goblins/kobalds/bandits then a boss or large monster or two per adventure (not unlike some episodes of Slayers actually). There was lots of Havock unleashed in that campaign, I mean when A-ko and Lina Inverse roll into your town, there's bound to be action...
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Just out of high school I had a GM run a game where myself and another player were captured and experimented on, I started the game as a PA Pilot from Triax/NGR and I think the other had line magic.

I ended up becoming The Guyver and he had a Zoalord crystal implanted in his head. Turns out the guy experimenting on us was a very ancient, and very evil, dragon.
It was fun having to role play to figure out our powers, it's not like they handed us an instruction manual, we managed to break out of their underground lab and make a run for it.
After a while the GM lent us transform/use our powers at will. The only reason we got out of the cave as easily as we did is because I was shot and killed, and anyone who has watched the series knows that death isn't always permanent for someone with bio booster armour, which caused the Guyver to immediately summon and lay waste to everything while it was healing me.

That actually happened to me a couple of times during game play, one time it happened in some crappy hotel, made of s.d.c. walls, and some random dude shot me during an argument. I transformed against my will and blew out the whole rear half of the motel with he Mega Smasher. lol

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”