Robotech Sourcebooks

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NEO Ness
D-Bee

Robotech Sourcebooks

Unread post by NEO Ness »

I got a Email recently of the Palladium Weekly Update and under "Also Coming" it said "ROBOTECH RPG Sourcebooks". Now next to it I see the name "ROBOTECH RPG Tactics" so I assume that the RPG Sourcebooks is referring to the TTRPG Robotech and not the Miniatures?

If I'm right I wonder what kind of source books they'll make? I personally would like to see that Spaceship Sourcebook that they promised us back in the Macross Sourcebook. (Anyone hear any word on this book?)

Also am I the only one who would like a compilation of all of the sourcebooks into one big hardback book similar to the Shadow Chronicles Deluxe? I'd hope it would have better organized species/classes/eras/ships.

It probably costs more to make hardback copies, and I doubt that Robotech really rakes in the money these days, so probably ain't gonna happen. But I'd like to hear what you guys have to say!
Sambot
Adventurer

Re: Robotech Sourcebooks

Unread post by Sambot »

NEO Ness wrote:I got a Email recently of the Palladium Weekly Update and under "Also Coming" it said "ROBOTECH RPG Sourcebooks". Now next to it I see the name "ROBOTECH RPG Tactics" so I assume that the RPG Sourcebooks is referring to the TTRPG Robotech and not the Miniatures?

If I'm right I wonder what kind of source books they'll make? I personally would like to see that Spaceship Sourcebook that they promised us back in the Macross Sourcebook. (Anyone hear any word on this book?)

Also am I the only one who would like a compilation of all of the sourcebooks into one big hardback book similar to the Shadow Chronicles Deluxe? I'd hope it would have better organized species/classes/eras/ships.

It probably costs more to make hardback copies, and I doubt that Robotech really rakes in the money these days, so probably ain't gonna happen. But I'd like to hear what you guys have to say!

I do hope they'll be more Robotech Sourcebooks including the Spaceship one mentioned. There's still a lot of vehicles that could be included, especially if you include the variants from Robotech Tactics. Are there RPG stats for those anywhere?

I can't say I'm too keen on a huge compilation book. It just seems overly redundant after having the manga and full sized editions. Plus very expensive. I can see a lot of sourcebooks of various sizes though. There's a lot of stuff from all eras of Robotech that hasn't been covered.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I would much prefer to see new material. I don't need a third, or fourth version of the stats for an Alpha.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I agree with RockJock, I would like new material. Yes ships would be awesome.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Colonies...and actual new mecha...not kit bashed stuff like we got in the Marines sourcebook.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

RockJock wrote:I would much prefer to see new material. I don't need a third, or fourth version of the stats for an Alpha.

i would say it would depend on the alpha. a new version of the new gen era? yeah no. we're pretty well covered there.

but when you consider the first first Alpha's looked like this according to HG: Early Alpha, i would say that some of the earlier models might be worth seeing stats for. that "VF-X-6 Genia", maybe use some of the IMAI files early concept art (like the Vector: Battloid, Fighter, Guardian) to give us Alpha's that aren't just "more of what we already have", i think people could live with it.

and even with the new Gen era, we still don;t have stats for the Alpha Drones or the Shadow Drones 2, though the Alpha Drones at least should just be a set of combat bonuses for replacing the pilot, maybe a piece or two of new equipment, and not need a reprint of the ful lstats. shadow drones though have enough differences from the standard shadow fighters that we probably need a full write up.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

I wouldn't mind entirely new material. I think we need new material. Who's to say that the Disciples of Zor are good guys? And I'd love to see tech from the Sentinals homeworlds. Non protoculture powered ships? Praxian anti-grav tech? Yes please!

But I also think that we need to fill in the holes for the material we already do have. Some of those holes could be great adventure points. Like why did the Invid leave a train system intact?

Really I could see a lot more books for Robotech. I hope we get more.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Sambot wrote:I wouldn't mind entirely new material. I think we need new material. Who's to say that the Disciples of Zor are good guys?

Disciples of Zor being Big Bads is probably a safe assumption for what the leadership at Harmony Gold wanted given the stalled Robotech Academy series that had baddies called, "The Children of Zor".

As for future sourcebooks, the scenario series, "GHOST FLEET SAGA" for RPG Tactics gives us an idea what Palladium has been working on for Robotech story expansion and what Harmony Gold is conformable with 3rd party development:

"Ghost Fleet Saga™ series. The latter is being designed to create new RRT factions and a new location and time period to game in. It incorporates Shadow Technology and UEEF covert operations against the Regent, Invid, Inorganics, space pirates and renegade Zentraedi. This is a book we have been developing over the last year."

I don't play Tactics myself, but I'm glad to see that development on the Robotech license is still active. That Harmony Gold approval process is killer though. I sort of wish for the days of "reckless abandon" that the 1st edition had, but I understand why the current process is in place.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Oh gods, I want so much in the way of new Sourcebooks, starting with Starships/Spaceships, and covering the Tactics mecha and the freight carrier Caterpillar truck....Please? Within my lifetime(assuming I don't live to 100?)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

taalismn wrote:Oh gods, I want so much in the way of new Sourcebooks, starting with Starships/Spaceships, and covering the Tactics mecha and the freight carrier Caterpillar truck....Please? Within my lifetime(assuming I don't live to 100?)

Amen brother.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I think it,s time for a Book on Spaceships that other books did not have.

Maybe a book on Colonies too.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think UEEF Marines two and Zentraedi sourcebook be made in 2017?
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

In one word: No
RockJock
Knight

My point with the Alpha comment was we have already seen the Magna and full sized version of the first three books. I don't have any use for another version of those same books with a tweak here or there. I would much prefer a book I haven't already seen. I don't want to see a Combat again:).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
RockJock wrote:I would much prefer to see new material. I don't need a third, or fourth version of the stats for an Alpha.

i would say it would depend on the alpha. a new version of the new gen era? yeah no. we're pretty well covered there.

but when you consider the first first Alpha's looked like this according to HG: Early Alpha, i would say that some of the earlier models might be worth seeing stats for. that "VF-X-6 Genia", maybe use some of the IMAI files early concept art (like the Vector: Battloid, Fighter, Guardian) to give us Alpha's that aren't just "more of what we already have", i think people could live with it.

and even with the new Gen era, we still don;t have stats for the Alpha Drones or the Shadow Drones 2, though the Alpha Drones at least should just be a set of combat bonuses for replacing the pilot, maybe a piece or two of new equipment, and not need a reprint of the ful lstats. shadow drones though have enough differences from the standard shadow fighters that we probably need a full write up.

Something else to keep in mind that with new Alpha (or insert other established mecha) variants is they don't necessarily have to reprint the complete entry with the alterations, they could do what they did in the the first 3 books and simply list the changes to the new variant as they have established a precedent for it:
-VF-1 models, and even the expansion packs
-Alpha models
-Beta models
-Cyclone (VR-0## subvariants)
-VHT-1 models
-VFH-10
-Salamander Battloid

That only works though if they aren't looking to pad the book out though.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

This from the recent Palladium update sounds interesting:

"We have also been plotting new adventure sourcebooks that will create new factions, aliens and mecha for Robotech®, one of which is tentatively titled Ghost Fleet. It would take a look at the early days of the UEEF and Shadow Technology, which means all kinds of prototypes and experimental mecha with Shadow Technology, space pirates, rogue Zentraedi, special ops and liberating people and planets from the Invid Regent.
We should be able to present you manufacturing details and a timetable in another month or so. We know it is frustrating without solid, specific news, as it is for us too, but we are working on it. And excited about finally getting Wave II into your hands."

Ghost Fleet sounds really cool. If they have game mechanics for the RPG, I would pick them up. If they don't, I'll still pick them up and do the game mechanics myself. It would be cool if they have stuff from Robotech: Academy.
They can't see me...Right!?
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:This from the recent Palladium update sounds interesting:

"We have also been plotting new adventure sourcebooks that will create new factions, aliens and mecha for Robotech®, one of which is tentatively titled Ghost Fleet. It would take a look at the early days of the UEEF and Shadow Technology, which means all kinds of prototypes and experimental mecha with Shadow Technology, space pirates, rogue Zentraedi, special ops and liberating people and planets from the Invid Regent.
We should be able to present you manufacturing details and a timetable in another month or so. We know it is frustrating without solid, specific news, as it is for us too, but we are working on it. And excited about finally getting Wave II into your hands."

Ghost Fleet sounds really cool. If they have game mechanics for the RPG, I would pick them up. If they don't, I'll still pick them up and do the game mechanics myself. It would be cool if they have stuff from Robotech: Academy.

(Starts praying this comes to fruition within a tolerable amount of time...)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

Define "reasonable amount of time?"
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:Define "reasonable amount of time?"

A year, 2 years at the outside, and that's at the limits of my 'willingness to believe this is really going to come about'. Sorry, but I've been burned by expectation before(#koff#Mechanoids Space#koff#).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

taalismn wrote:

A year, 2 years at the outside, and that's at the limits of my 'willingness to believe this is really going to come about'. Sorry, but I've been burned by expectation before(#koff#Mechanoids Space#koff#).

Or waiting for anything for Beyond the Supernatural or Chaos Earth...:nh:
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Or waiting for anything for Beyond the Supernatural or Chaos Earth...:nh:

Sometimes, the best you can do is quit waiting and write it up yourself out of sheer desperation/anguish/frustration. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

On a smaller scale, Harmony Gold has approved our proposal and art concepts for the first RRT Scenario Book and our plans for the Ghost Fleet Saga™ series.
The RRT Macross® Saga Scenario Book One will present mission scenarios based on the first half of the Robotech® Macross® Saga era of the television show. That means many missions and battles that are part of the iconic events, characters and story of the Robotech® Macross® Saga. RRT Macross® Saga Scenario Book Two is already in development and will provide all the remaining chapters of the Robotech® Macross® Saga.
The Ghost Fleet Saga™ is expected to be a series of RPG adventure sourcebooks that will create new Robotech® RPG and RRT factions and settings to game in. The time period is the decade between the UEEF’s departure from Earth and their return in New Generation. This means the setting incorporates the mecha of several Robotech® eras (Macross® Saga, The Masters Saga, New Generation and the beginnings of Shadow technology). The UEEF uses the new (and dangerous) Shadow technology in covert operations against the Regent and his Invid and Inorganics, as well as space pirates and renegade Zentraedi. This series will offer a wide range of stories, new mecha and adventures in space and on alien worlds.

Ghost Fleet Saga, please. I would spend money on this! It would be cool to see some Colonial Defense Forces. :)
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yes Me too,Maybe after that they make a Book on the Zentraedi?
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Arnie100 wrote:Ghost Fleet Saga, please. I would spend money on this! It would be cool to see some Colonial Defense Forces. :)

<cough!>Spaceships!<cough!>
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Arnie100
Knight

Unfortunately; I think Spaceships is dead.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I still have Hope.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Spaceships = Dead

When Marker was let go, the plan for that book went away as well.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Nah, Ghost Fleet = a backdoor version of Spaceships. Watch: it'll have the ASC ships, the RDF ships, the Zent's ships, and the missing REF ships.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Arnie100
Knight

I think Ghost Feet is their version of the Sentinels Campaign.

The time period is the decade between the UEEF’s departure from Earth and their return in New Generation
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Maybe we'll get treated to the Swordfish ship from Robotech Academy. Not holding my breath, but hopeful.
RockJock
Knight

I sure hope Ghost Fleet fills in those holes.
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

tobefrnk wrote:Maybe we'll get treated to the Swordfish ship from Robotech Academy. Not holding my breath, but hopeful.

I second this. I'd LOVE to see this!
Arnie100
Knight

masslegion wrote:
tobefrnk wrote:Maybe we'll get treated to the Swordfish ship from Robotech Academy. Not holding my breath, but hopeful.

Don't forget the Takeru Artillery Cruiser.
taalismn
Priest

masslegion wrote:

Thirded. AND RPG stats for the new stuff in Tactics.
That's not too much to ask for, is it? Pretty please? (puppy-dog eyes*)

(*"That doesn't work for baby seals, and you're not nearly as cute.")
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

taalismn wrote:
masslegion wrote:

For now, do you think the five triple beam cannons turrets on the Swordfish are the same as on the Garfish?
tobefrnk
Adventurer

masslegion wrote:
taalismn wrote:
masslegion wrote:

For now, do you think the five triple beam cannons turrets on the Swordfish are the same as on the Garfish?

That would be my assumptions. In some art, the body of the turret appears to be smaller than the general Garfish, but since it's an advanced technology demonstrator, you can always hand wave off the size.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

tobefrnk wrote:
masslegion wrote:
taalismn wrote:
masslegion wrote:

That would be my assumptions. In some art, the body of the turret appears to be smaller than the general Garfish, but since it's an advanced technology demonstrator, you can always hand wave off the size.

Not that any of that matters, since (Palladium) RPG stats don't scale like one would expect. So even if the Swordfish had a bigger (or smaller) version of what appears to be Garfish turret, it would probably have the same stats, or maybe even stats that don't make any sense when compared to other examples (EP-37 vs just about any Jet Laser on a VF)
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

tobefrnk wrote:That would be my assumptions. In some art, the body of the turret appears to be smaller than the general Garfish, but since it's an advanced technology demonstrator, you can always hand wave off the size.

It's a rejected prototype, so they'd probably make 'em weaker... though all the ship-based weapons in the RT RPG for human ships are so weak as to be essentially useless.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”