Questions about Prometheans

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Questions about Prometheans

Unread post by Malakai »

Asking the community here:

First, one thing I noticed is that neither first nor second-stage prometheans have any kind of increased healing/bio-regeneration. Is this typical/intended, or did I miss an errata somewhere? I can understand the first-stagers not having such, but leaving it off the 2nd-stagers seems a bit odd, when practically everything else at that level has a pretty decent regen rate

Second, particularly about 2nd-stagers: When calculating level for effects, do you use the base level 10 (treating the second-stage life as effectively a new class), add the two together, or use the new, lower level that they are set to as second-stagers? This comes up because when they "graduate", they are considered 1st level 2nd-stagers, but retain the skills and bonuses of a 10th level first-stager.
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Questions about Prometheans

Unread post by dragonfett »

Not sure about the first question, for as to the second, I would treat them graduating to second stage status as effectively cross classing where all of their old spells/powers/abilities/skills/etc. get frozen at 10th level while any new spells/powers/abilities/skills/etc. raise up like normal until they hit 11th level. At that time, any of their old skills/powers/abilities/skills/etc. that were frozen that are a part of their new class can now level like normal while any old spells/powers/abilities/skills/etc. that are no longer part of the new class stay frozen at level 10 forever.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Malakai wrote:Asking the community here:

First, one thing I noticed is that neither first nor second-stage prometheans have any kind of increased healing/bio-regeneration. Is this typical/intended, or did I miss an errata somewhere? I can understand the first-stagers not having such, but leaving it off the 2nd-stagers seems a bit odd, when practically everything else at that level has a pretty decent regen rate

It's not an oversight. They simply don't have any bio-regen rate and heal HP/SDC at the same rate as humans. That's why promethians have that hyper-advanced phase-tech med kit that acts like a handheld hospital. They need it themselves. Yes, bio-regen rates are fairly common, but they are not mandatory and there have always been exceptions. promethians are deliberately one such exception.

Second, particularly about 2nd-stagers: When calculating level for effects, do you use the base level 10 (treating the second-stage life as effectively a new class), add the two together, or use the new, lower level that they are set to as second-stagers? This comes up because when they "graduate", they are considered 1st level 2nd-stagers, but retain the skills and bonuses of a 10th level first-stager.

It uses the standard dual classing rules. All powers they had as first stagers operate at first-stager level of ability, all powers exclusive to second stager operates only at second stager level of ability. in no instance whatsoever do they add or stack, and the abilities of a 10th level promethain are frozen and will never advance, unless they are duplicated as a second stager, in which case they will advance only when second stager level exceeds first stager level as equal to the now-higher second stager level.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

From reading the book it says under the Second Stager that at First Level they start with all the skills and bonuses of a 10th level First Stager. And to use the Dragon Exp table starting at 10th level as their first level. Phaseworld Pg 31 tells you exactly what a 1st level Second Stage Promethean gets at 1st level even tells you to use the Dragon table starting from level 10 and working your way up from there. Answers are mostly in the book right there.

The only one that is not is about your question on calculating for level effects of their powers. I would say you calculate from level 10 as a first stager and add in the level of Second Stager for determining level effects of spells and powers.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Second Stagers know all healing psi. First stagers might know up to three at first level. Probably helps. They can Htouch each other too.

Aside from healing spell magic a Time Lord or Temporal Wizard might discover/learn, even normal prometheans can buy 1-4 temporal spells in place of secondary skills. Since thy don't breath they could step inside a dimensional envelope for as long as they need to heal. Meditating six hours a second level guy could keep up this strategy indefinitely.

The spell suspended animation / stasis field makes you "perfectly healthy" when awakens and there is no minimum duration required for that effect. I don't know if they can self-awake in this case but this could be an easy way to heal each other.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

Do Prometheans count as Supernatural Creatures? I know they get Supernatural Strength but I wanted to clarify if they were true Supernatural Creatures.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I know Second Stage Prometheans are Supernatural Creatures but I am not sure if First Stagers fall under SN or Creatures of Magic or something else.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

First stagers are 'normal' AFAICT, they don't yet count as SN, or any other weird descriptor.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Actually, the writeup for Second Stage Promethians under attributes gives their various bonuses and penalties for becoming second stage and says "still supernatural beings. this indicates the first stage is also supernatural, by clarifying the second stage remains such, not becomes such.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Shows you should check the attribute listings for any creature where that question in asked, that's where it was mentioned, not anywhere else.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

"supernatural creatures like dragons, demons and the promethean race" on 99 is another odd spot, but the "still supernatural" is more specific to First-Stagers.

Hm also "supernatural beings" is used after Spd on page 25 for First Stagers too.

The supernatural strength is hidden under 'Damage' on page 26 instead of attributes on 25... I hate when they do that, should be put in both places. If I see no supernatural in attributes I assume weak but 'damage' sneaks it in. Phantom/Catyr/Seljuk/Kreeghor/Dominator do it right. Draconid/Silhouette/Cosmo-Knight are problematic SNPS-hiders like the Prometheans.

Star Hives I'd assumed were supernatural PS since they had MD melee attacks but it doesn't appear to be... only strength I see singled out is for Killer Beetles and that's merely "superhuman".

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”