Slave Stats

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Slave Stats

Unread post by Tirisilex »

What would be typical stats and skills of a slave? I'm selling slaves in the Splynn Market and I dont know what kinds of stats there would be for slaves.. Would they be other adventurers or something less than that.. I'm thinking this one Flesh Peddler got himself some beautiful woman PB 18 but had them spiced up with Bio Wizardry and now have PB of 26 and wants to sell these beauties. I just cant think of what to use for skills that these woman have.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Slave Stats

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'd say that most slaves have average stats for their race and the vagabond (or racial equivalent) character class.

Slaves with extraordinary attributes or skills would be advertised as such and have a higher pricetag.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

I agree with Jefffar that slaves should just have the Vagabond O.C.C. unless their supposedly trained in a specific skill set.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Jeffar's got the right of it in the case of your average slave. In instances where a slave has special powers and abilities it would raise the price of said slave as well as the risk of escape.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would expand it from just Vagabond to any of the Scholars and Adventurers. City Rats? Barmaids? Maybe not Operators or Cyber-Docs, but unless they're advertising their immediately applicable skills, they're not likely to be rated highly. Your wormhole physicist character who has devoted all his skills to advanced mathematics, astronomy, and different flavors of physics? He's not going to be worth a whole lot on the block. "Ooh, look, he's familiar with the stars from a single world and knows some physics that are more or less irrelevant to me! Buy him instead of the armored rock-creature that cornholes on command!"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

You might find my Minion rules useful for generating them, in my sig.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would argue that it depends on what you plan to do with them in the game.

if they are minor NPC that are more background, pick half a dozen or so skills pertinent to their role in the setting and the game's story, and just wing it.
if they are major NPC's that will be playing a big role use an OCC like Vagabond or the like and just tailor the options to fit what you need.

if it's character background for a player's character, have them use what they want OCC wise and just pick some pertinent skills and backstory.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Marcethus
Champion

Mark Hall wrote:I would expand it from just Vagabond to any of the Scholars and Adventurers. City Rats? Barmaids? Maybe not Operators or Cyber-Docs, but unless they're advertising their immediately applicable skills, they're not likely to be rated highly. Your wormhole physicist character who has devoted all his skills to advanced mathematics, astronomy, and different flavors of physics? He's not going to be worth a whole lot on the block. "Ooh, look, he's familiar with the stars from a single world and knows some physics that are more or less irrelevant to me! Buy him instead of the armored rock-creature that cornholes on command!"

This is actually a very good idea. And I admit one I hadn't thought of.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

also, don't be surprised if there are Operator, Rogue Scholar, Rogue Scientist, etc slaves. they'd be a smaller fraction of the population sure, but consider that the owners might well need such skills, and don't want to pay the costs of hiring one the normal way. or they need someone to handle scribe and record keeping duties so they don't have to. or need a teacher for their bratty kids who won't suddenly decide to quit halfway through. or they need a cyberdoc to keep their slave-borgs working right. etc.

historically you had a fair number of slaves that fell into such roles. the roman Empire couldn't run during some centuries without something similar. and such things were extremely common in the middle east and parts of asia at various times.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I figure that 'survival of the fittest' would apply to the slaves that make it to market, with one or more stats being in the upper range of average, or just making exceptional....Unless the slave in question has some skill set that would necessitate slighter 'better' treatment, or the slavers are selling by headcount, the slavers are going to be weeding out the sick, the infirm, the subpar....either(as in reality during the dark age of international slavery) dying during transport, or, in the case of Atlantis and other hellholes, being fed to the less discerning monsters and monstrous beings(eaten or used as target practice). The tougher/wilier ones survive this horrible winnowing.

The exception might be societies(and this would be characteristic of many most rifts HUMAN societies) where slavery is used as a social catchbasin where people might be forced into slavery to pay off debts. Thee you'd find on average the opposite; people of subpar physicality or skill sets who can't find meaningful (skilled) employment, who are likely going to end up as low cost labor, or children/young adults sold to somewhat higher prices( the range of duties would be larger but would include many less appealing positions, like sexual slavery). And while on the surface this might be advertised as a temporary fix in that the slaves only have to pay off their debts to go free, such a system is easily abused to become permanent indentureship.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Slave stats would be rolled normally, slaves sold could be fresh caught or been slaves their whole life. Slaves might be sold based on expected roll laborer, house slave, gladiator or food. Some might be sold based on their background such as CS slaves, or occ such as operator.
Slaves with proven higher than average stat would likely sell for more.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Marcethus
Champion

That's a lot of work for the GM to roll every slave's stat individually or even in large lots. I think the idea of using your average person except in the rare case of those skilled or other above average slave is a good way to go.

Return to “Rifts®”