Invulnerability i " The Hammer of the Forge".

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ankhr
D-Bee

Invulnerability i " The Hammer of the Forge".

Unread post by Ankhr »

I loved reading the entire series. Here's the but, I noticed the Elven Invincible Guardsman was never hurt by any of Caleb's attacks. I thought Guardsmen powers were mostly equal to HU powers.I know invulnerability takes half damage from magic attacks. I think Cosmo Knights strength is supernatural and their energy blast is considered supernatural also. I was just wondering about this, and if there was any explanation. I also remember werewolves, vampires and Hercules ( mutant from Olympian Club) all took attacks from Cosmo Knights with no damage. I think Herakles (the god) attacked Hercules (the mutant) and did no damage. I'm not complaining at all just curious.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Invulnerability i " The Hammer of the Forge".

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Invincible Guardsmen normally can't have Invulnerability in the first place, unless one is using the powers from HU. But fiction isn't required to follow game rules.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

DB3p33 does say 'for ideas on more powers, consult Heroes Unlimited' so CJ does hint on the GM exercising freedom to substitute and not being limited by the "roll or choose once from each list" guideline.

Or: Elias also has a secret past as a Gun Brother OCC which on DB3p26 ability 2 does give th option to gai super abilities from HU or RCB) and the story simply didn't discuss it :)

I also remember werewolves, vampires and Hercules ( mutant from Olympian Club) all took attacks from Cosmo Knights with no damage

I guess the question is "what attacks".

Are we ever explicitly told that cosmic blasts bypass any of these invulnerabilities?

Are we told cosmic weapons do?

Are we told that punches from cosmic armor gauntlets do?

Do Caleb or any of the other supernatural PS characters ever punch any of these beings BARE fisted and not do anything?

If cosmic armor/weapon is impeding flesh-on-flesh contact then I could see that being a problem.

Just because dragons can claw up vampires doesn't mean dragons swinging vibro-blades or punching while wearing gauntlets can, after all.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I would say that the guy in question doesn't have the invulnerability power. He has the invincibility power from Rifter # 12.
Either that or the author just upped the power of the Invulnerability power for his game.
Remember there was a Siege of Tolkeen story too, it had an Ancient Ice Dragon as it's king, instead of a human, and the king captured some Eldritch Horror to sacrifice so it could kill all of Chi-town's inhabitants.
That's not in any of the canon books.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Ankhr
D-Bee

Unread post by Ankhr »

Good point. It's nevet stated if the story is in the main Rifts universe or not. It might be, with some tweaking. That would make sense. But so would a story set in another dimension.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Well, some AlternaRifts are cool homebrew settings that only diverge in minor ways[PC's replace Erin Tarn as Popular World traveling Champions of light, there is no Siege, or CS calls it off] that make the setting cooler, IMO.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The rifter "Siege on Tolkeen" could always be played as being about a rebuilt Tolkeen where the ice dragon takes over after the wussy human lost to the CS.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Axelmania wrote:The rifter "Siege on Tolkeen" could always be played as being about a rebuilt Tolkeen where the ice dragon takes over after the wussy human lost to the CS.

Oh I love that idea.
Oh course i'd have to change the end, adding in a simple mechanical lock would end the humans invasion of the pyramid, boom CS loses.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'd have to check up on what happened to Freehold, maybe New Tolkeen is rebuilt with greater control by Freeholders since they're the ones most likely to have been able to flee at the last moment via their teleporting/flight/morphing ?
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Pardon the ignorance - and thread necromancy - but what is this "The Hammer of the Forge" series you speak of?
The references about Cosmo-Knights duking it out with Panthoens of Megaverse NPCs & stuff on Tolkeen got me quite curious.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

SolCannibal wrote:Pardon the ignorance - and thread necromancy - but what is this "The Hammer of the Forge" series you speak of?
The references about Cosmo-Knights duking it out with Panthoens of Megaverse NPCs & stuff on Tolkeen got me quite curious.

It was a story that was in the first 50 or 60 issues of the Rifter.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Ankhr wrote:I loved reading the entire series. Here's the but, I noticed the Elven Invincible Guardsman was never hurt by any of Caleb's attacks. I thought Guardsmen powers were mostly equal to HU powers.I know invulnerability takes half damage from magic attacks. I think Cosmo Knights strength is supernatural and their energy blast is considered supernatural also. I was just wondering about this, and if there was any explanation. I also remember werewolves, vampires and Hercules ( mutant from Olympian Club) all took attacks from Cosmo Knights with no damage. I think Herakles (the god) attacked Hercules (the mutant) and did no damage. I'm not complaining at all just curious.

That power takes no damage from magic energy attacks though. So the elf not taking damage still fits the power's abilities.* However the most likely explanation is that it's a story, not game rules, and thus wasn't written to "fit it" with the rules in mind.

EDIT: * Keep in mind the story started being written in '97. If the CK's energy blasts were considered magic back then they'd do no damage (as per the power's write up in 1st Ed HU and the CB1). Now though I think the blasts are considered "cosmic energy" blasts and may do full damage to those with Invulnerability now.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”